Middle Ages/Renaissance-age people across the Pegasus Galaxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Middle Ages/Renaissance-age people across the Pegasus Galaxy

How come there are so man people stuck in the Middle Ages, Renaissance or inbetween in the Pegasus galaxy? They've had 10,000 years since the Ancients left the Pegasus galaxy to progress. Who knows how long they were around before then (the Ancients came there "millions of years ago", after all).

Yes, the Wraith this and the Wraith that. But why are they stuck in the Middle Ages/Renaissance all the time? Why not some other Earth-ish epoch? Or a completely new one? Especially since so many of these peoples have Ancient tech at their disposal.

The Tower and now this. Two groups of people who've had Ancient technology (and the gene to operate it) for over 10,000 years and we're supposed to believe their technological development stayed stagnant?

I would imagine its because of the Wraith. In the episodes "The Brotherhood and Poisoning the Well" it is stated that their society progresses then the Wraith come and as a result they tend to stall in their technological development.

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
      I would imagine its because of the Wraith. In the episodes "The Brotherhood and Poisoning the Well" it is stated that their society progresses then the Wraith come and as a result they tend to stall in their technological development.
      Bingo we have a winner.
      A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
        Umm... then how come in "The Tower" they had ancient technology to, you know, drone any approaching ships into Kingdom Come? Surely with technology like that, the Wraith just left them alone because it'd be too much trouble to fight them.

And they stuck with the Renaissance-level because?

Also, the people in "Poisoning the Well" were kinda evolved very much beyond the level of the peoples of "Harmony" and "The Tower" (once you take their Ancient tech away). It's not like there's a mandate that they can never go beyond Renaissance-level.

Comment

It is established that the Wraith will only let societies get to a certain level before they come and bring down the hammer. That is why the Genii pose as simple farmers and keep all their advanced stuff in their underground tunnels. That is also why the planet that the Terrainians relocated to had underground tunnels. As for The Tower, I think the Wraith decided to leave them alone since they have the means to defend themselves but are still simple folk that won't go crusading against the Wraith.

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
            It is established that the Wraith will only let societies get to a certain level before they come and bring down the hammer. That is why the Genii pose as simple farmers and keep all their advanced stuff in their underground tunnels. That is also why the planet that the Terrainians relocated to had underground tunnels. As for The Tower, I think the Wraith decided to leave them alone since they have the means to defend themselves but are still simple folk that won't go crusading against the Wraith.
            From Sateda we know that the wraith obliterate anyone who can pose a threat to them, so i wonder why they never felt that way with the Tower people?

Comment

I've had a long quibbble that these societies are all European based. The Ancients spoke some kind of dog Latin - you'd think we'd see some, at least Mediterranean type cultures, Near East (like Asia Minor, not the overdone Nile and North Africa), etc.
              One day, one night, one moment
              With a dream to believe in
              One step, one fall, one falter
              Found a new earth across a wide ocean
              This way became my journey
              This day ends together, far and away

- Enya, "Book of Days"

Comment

Originally posted by Bachall View Post
                I've had a long quibbble that these societies are all European based. The Ancients spoke some kind of dog Latin - you'd think we'd see some, at least Mediterranean type cultures, Near East (like Asia Minor, not the overdone Nile and North Africa), etc.
                The Ancients have been gone for 10,000 years.

Comment

I think the implication of the Latin is that some of them influenced the cultures which eventually produced, among other things, classical Latin. The Indo-European had as its center, for the time of the rise of modern civilization, the Mediterranean culture. And yet they are largely ignored. Ditto the Indus Valley and the Tigris-Euphrates.

I know it's because they haven't really thought that hard about it, or making it fit with real history. Unlike the Egyptian used in the movie and early series, I suppose Latin roots are highly accessible to both writers and audience.

It's just annoying to see unused opportunity to bypass a cliche in favor of some interesting but easily researched culture (imagining Etruscan or Cretan type costumes and architecture here - fun!).

Ah well. It's not a huge thing for me. I only say something about it maybe once per episode, to my long-suffering SO. "Can't you just WATCH it? It's not Tolstoy!"

- Enya, "Book of Days"

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                    From Sateda we know that the wraith obliterate anyone who can pose a threat to them, so i wonder why they never felt that way with the Tower people?
                    In Reunion, we found out that the Setedans were running ops against the Wriath. So they were actively being a thorn in the Wraith's collectives sides, so that is why they wiped out the Setedans as opposed to the tower people. The tower folk were content to stay on their world with their strictly defensive weapons and not bother the Wraith.

Perfecto!

Comment

Incidently, to the OP:

Feudal cultures are naturally stable, especially in the face of extreme external threats like the Wraith. By definition it has measures built into the system to ensure continuance.

Remember Teyla in "Rising" expressed a fear of going near the Ancient city. If this type of fear was galaxy wide, there would be a strong pressure against any kind of change. This could make a feudal system last indefinitely without a positive outside pressure or drastic internal change (like plague or natural disaster).

My complaint is that there are many different known expressions of the feudal culture other than the overdone European model. There is the familiar and beautiful Japanese. There are less known cultural models available to anyone: Russian, Islamic/African, Indus valley, MesoAmerican.

- Enya, "Book of Days"

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                        Umm... then how come in "The Tower" they had ancient technology to, you know, drone any approaching ships into Kingdom Come? Surely with technology like that, the Wraith just left them alone because it'd be too much trouble to fight them.
                        They wern't a threat. If the Wraith came with a fleet of hives they would have destroyed them. Not to mention their power was dwindling.

Also, the people in "Poisoning the Well" were kinda evolved very much beyond the level of the peoples of "Harmony" and "The Tower" (once you take their Ancient tech away). It's not like there's a mandate that they can never go beyond Renaissance-level.
                        Because do to the constant culling of them by the Wraith they can't evolve too much.
                        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

The Goauld have been gone 5000 years, yet we developed modern science and technology only in the last few centuries... without the wraith.

Comment

The rulers in 'The Tower' used the tech to keep their own people from becomig a threat to themselves.
                            || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Or they destroyed the hive that claimed that planet territory and the rest of the wraith dont know about it...
                              the only people who had rights were the few living in the tower, they cant be expected to come up with the knowledge we gained in several hundred years with millions of people. Plus technologically they were content, they had everything but food as a given constant, their quality of life probably could not be improved so there is no motivation to innovate.

And they were a threat to the wraith and presumably wiped out, they said they have been destroyed and rebuilt several times and the fact that they had books as their knowledge storages hints that they didnt make it far enough to invent the computer to store data electronically. Ronon's people didnt seem to make it to that point either.

I'm disapointed that there are no greek or roman cultures in pegasus so far.
                              Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Working...
                              X