Middle Ages/Renaissance-age people across the Pegasus Galaxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bachall View Post
    I've had a long quibbble that these societies are all European based. The Ancients spoke some kind of dog Latin - you'd think we'd see some, at least Mediterranean type cultures, Near East (like Asia Minor, not the overdone Nile and North Africa), etc.
    Well, since most of the cultures seem to be trade related, it does give a reason why each looks similar to one another..

Comment

In The Tower there was little need or drive for the people to advance scientifically. They were protected by the tower. On top of that, the peasants were too busy with their subsistence farming and tribute providing to advance. The royalty had little use for technological advancement because they relied on the ancient tech.

In Harmony I bet that the wraith weren't prevented from culling the people by mini-drones. They might be able to take out a bunch of people, but I doubt they could take out a hive ship or a cruiser. Maybe they could take out a dart if the queen / king were lucky. After all, they were grateful for the warning from Atlantis. I doubt that it would have been a big deal for them if they could defend themselves.

We can take advantage of the ancient tech because we were at a decent level of technological development to understand some of it.

Either way, tptb did a good job to address this concern when they introduced the travelers. They realized that we need more advanced humans in the PG. Also, lets not forget the Genii, who have an interesting way of preserving their advanced society. The Olesians were another example of advancement.

I doubt that having ancient tech at one's disposal is motivation for advancement when a society is in its medieval/renaissance stage for the same reasons that the people protected by the tower were stagnant. There's also a lot of fear (advanced or not) that technological advancement would attract the attention of the wraith. Remember that Teyla's people were afraid to go to their old city for fear that the wraith would bear down on them.

From a plot development point of view, it wouldn't make sense to have too many societies at a serious level of development. It would be easier to defeat the wraith if the PG did.

Comment

well there are and were some space faring races or had the development to fly

like the travelers, their possible the most advance race in the PG excluding the wraith and such

and there was that race that had to download it conscience into weir and john, and the race from the ark some like the people from condemned

maybe without wraith interfernece they could get on track and progress yet it will take hundreds of years
        sigpic

Comment

Honest answer: wood & skins and fake boulders are cheaper than LCDs and pseudo-metallic walls.

Yeah, the Wraith cull and keep people in check. Society fails a few times until they settle on one form that lets them survive cullings and keep a semi-cohesive social structure. Those structures appear to be either hunter/gatherer in tents and caves, or feudal in castles etc.
          sigpic
          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Well basically in this case and most cases in the Pegasus galaxy the people were being harvested by the wraith so their advancement was halted every time there was a culling, the exception would be the Genii which have industrialized weapons and technology.

Comment

Working...
            X