Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's a thing most B5 fans should find a little interesting at least.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

odd at work on windows/firefox I can see the site and the images

At home with OS X/Firefox I can only see the base images and then they look tiny. On the 1280x1024 monitor the images to select which ones to show larger, are almost small enough to not be able to recognize various ships.

I will say this though you do have the largest collection of images I have seen including the odd ball ships.

You have the content. Now display it. Flash might be universal but it is also loathed. Loading your website overloads my work computer causing it to be rebooted. I can't visit youtube, or car dealer websites either so don't take that as criticism.

Comment

He did say "Mac users have no chance of viewing it" in his first post, so don't be surprised.

Funny how Triple F hasn't posted since he realized people don't fall over themselves in amazement at the site...
      sigpic

Comment

Well, I have no problem with viewing the site and I honestly think, it is quite good, but I also agree that there should be more of an explanation as to what the site has to offer.
        If you really get into it and have a look at its different aspects, it is really quite interesting, so give it a chance!

Comment

Hi,

The reason for not posting earlier is I don’t browse the net that much, and generally keep to a small number of forums when I do – not because I’m disappointed at the responses or respond badly to criticisms. But as you don’t know me from Adam I can see how it may look like that : )

First off. I’m not a web developer which should be obvious – and make no claims in that direction. That’s one of the reasons for releasing the site in the state it is in right now – simply to get some input – good or bad.

The point mentioned earlier about me just showing up, not giving detailed explanations and the fact I’m not known from Adam is well taken.

I had never considered the “security” aspect of how things might look. Like I mentioned above, I genuinely don’t browse the net that much but I can now see where you are coming from with that. It was meant to be under stated simply because nothing like it exists in B5 fandom – will be rethinking that.

As for scripts – I doubt there is too many, but the one being used is the root of the loading problems with some browsers. Part of that not browsing much thing is I naively (as I know understand it) started developing the site based on the browser I knew – IE. To be honest I had never even heard of Opera until shortly before the original version went out.

I recently downloaded a copy to start looking at the problems – 90% of it is simple (and unnecessarily different) syntax. The remainder revolves around the script, which will require a bit of a work around but should be well doable – Ironically the problems surrounding that do appear to be security related VB scripts are not liked by some – bugger.

The thing is a beta, and messy in places as a result, (I knew that at the time of release) especially as large sections of it are based on the original site.

One concern I have. Maybe someone here can help me with it. The site is meant to look different – I find the sameness of all sites I visit a real turn off. Many of the comments here point out that because it has a different layout it turned them off. Though again, that might be related to the security thing again. Can anyone point me to what they would consider a well designed (visual) and organised site that looks very different from the table based norm. That would be genuinely helpful.

Flash – I do get the impression now that some people do loath it – some with a passion. I’m guessing part of that has to do with pop up adds and the like. Unfortunately – to display animated detail like that created for the site I have to use flash. Using codecs (that some would have to download) would cause a larger number of people to complain and turn away from the site.

Last thing. All the above comments to one side for a moment. The actual content for those that viewed it. Is it interesting or useful at all – and no that’s not looking for a pat on the back : ) - from your standpoint as someone who enjoyed the show. I’m asking that as I basically want to have an idea if it is worth spending the time fixing problems as well as formatting and gathering new information.

Cheers

And I’ll try to reply a bit quicker next time.
          Last edited by Triple-F; 27 February 2008, 01:34 AM.
          If you're a fan of Babylon 5, visit this facebook page, you might be surprised. ; )
          http://www.facebook.com/B5Scrolls

Comment

interesting....I'd just call it a Babylon 5 content Database but maybe thats too simplified, anyway, nice models on the site

Comment

Originally posted by Triple-F View Post
              To be honest I had never even heard of Opera until shortly before the original version went out.
              You're not alone there. Opera is a decent browser, but it's publicity team has all the skill and finesse of Sony management (which is to say: none at all). The reason few people use Opera is because no one has heard of it.
              Flash – I do get the impression now that some people do loath it – some with a passion. I’m guessing part of that has to do with pop up adds and the like. Unfortunately – to display animated detail like that created for the site I have to use flash. Using codecs (that some would have to download) would cause a larger number of people to complain and turn away from the site.
              Using Flash to display your models and such is fine, but try not to use it for the main page, or for the interface unless absolutely necessary. Flash has some awesome applications, but there are many misuses of it around, including bloated sites that take forever to load. (Flash marketplaces, all-flash sites (a big nono), and sites that require Flash just to see the text on the front page so you know what the site actually IS are just a few examples.)

Things like Flash based video players and Flash based animations are great though. As I recall those uses of Flash are so great that Microsoft has now released its first attempt at creating a new format with uses similar to the uses of Flash. The name escapes me right now. Silver or something like that I think.
              Last thing. All the above comments to one side for a moment. The actual content for those that viewed it. Is it interesting or useful at all – and no that’s not looking for a pat on the back : ) - from your standpoint as someone who enjoyed the show. I’m asking that as I basically want to have an idea if it is worth spending the time fixing problems as well as formatting and gathering new information.
              I enjoyed the actual content of the site. I've not seen another B5 site like it. Or any site actually. I'd like Star Trek, Stargate, and Farscape ones too.

Comment

I must've had a flash problem before, because now I could get in to see the ships. The models look great, although I'd suggest you make the spin a bit slower. For old fogeys like me, the spin is too fast to catch some details.

I would suggest you get rid of the flash from wherever it's not absolutely necessary, such as the red button on the front page that disappears if you wait too long. It should stick around.
                sigpic

Comment

Hi,

Got to admit, the reason why it takes a while to load stuff at the start isn’t actually because of flash, at least not totally. Most of it is down to me loading a pile of graphics. Saying that those really bad (fictional) texts that appear on the scrolls are held in a flash file that I load in at the start, it just seemed a convenient way to organise and access them at the time. But they’re getting yanked off as they don’t fit in with the bulk of the site content now. (there’s a lot more from the contributors to be added in)

The menu system isn’t actually flash just a couple of arrays, status flags and a few if statements. Again, there is no Flash used on the front screen – it was a joke when I said the red button disappeared – sorry. There’s no flash on the episode guide at all (except for holding the text again)

I will rework the front screen. Although this is the only forum that has mentioned the potential security fears of some users, now that I think about it it is a valid point.

Since you are all talking, something that doesn’t happen on some forums, you can help me with something. If you want.

I’ve been working on the site for nearly a year now, mostly gathering content from the contributors, and one of the problems is you get too close to something like this so need fresh eyes to point out obvious flaws that you miss as a consequence. Hence the reason for releasing the Beta in the first place.

Another thing is though, asking the contributors questions. I’m probably missing obvious ones that people might want answers to. So is there any that you can think of. The people I’m talking to (including those not on the beta) are John Copeland – producer, matte painters, animators, conceptual artists, model builders and those behind the prosthetic make up, maybe some of those involved with wardrobe and set design as well – though that’s not confirmed yet.

Cheers

Tom

[edit]
                  Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
                  I enjoyed the actual content of the site. I've not seen another B5 site like it. Or any site actually. I'd like Star Trek, Stargate, and Farscape ones too.
                  Life’s too short unfortunately. Tracking most of them down was easy enough, trying to pin them down long enough to get (useable) quotes was/is a friggin nightmare though, as most are still busy working in the industry.
                  Trying to do something the size of Trek would probably result in deaths. ; )
                  Last edited by Triple-F; 28 February 2008, 10:54 PM.
                  If you're a fan of Babylon 5, visit this facebook page, you might be surprised. ; )
                  http://www.facebook.com/B5Scrolls

Comment

Just about 11 years since a post in this thread. LOONEY bringing'um BACK!!!!!

(Yes I just applauded myself.)

SO if you have never visited THE B5 SCROLLS now is your chance as Triple F just announced that they are back up again. I highly recommend a visit for B5 fans can't get enough of how Babylon 5 was made.

Comment

Working...
                    X