This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nine vs. Ten

who and WHY is better? i know many people went nuts for Tenth, bein all young, giddily and wacky ... but some people still prefer Ninth Doctor ... (and i LOVE Nine) ... so, who's Your fave?

NINE or TEN?

*no fights please*

You are tiny. I can see the whole of time and space - every single atom of your existence, and I divide them. Everything must come to dust... all things. Everything dies.

both... i like both of them

nine had some brilliant adventures and he was the one who ended the last time war... ten has also had some kick ass times though

M

Click on the image to go to my fanfics.

Comment

Both are extremely cool. There really isn't that much difference either. Both can be really wacky and both have this really big dark side and sadness. I personally have no preferance. The only thing i wish is that we'd had more time with the ninth and i'm really hoping for both of them to show up together.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by -fallen-one- View Post
        who and WHY is better? i know many people went nuts for Tenth, bein all young, giddily and wacky ... but some people still prefer Ninth Doctor ... (and i LOVE Nine) ... so, who's Your fave?

NINE or TEN?

*no fights please*
        I would say as with all The Doctor's they bring something unique to the character so to say one is better then the other is missing the whole point of Doctor Who...IMHO because unlike any other show (well a bit like James Bond) you never 'change' the basicis of character when you change the actor; you just change some, lets say...idiosyncrasies.

I think 9 was what the show needed at the time, it needed a slightly tougher (around the edges) Doctor because he had relatively speaking just come out of a war, a war that saw his people wiped out... but then as 10 was introduced he was in a slightly better place so having a Doctor, who was able to see lighter moments and have a sense of fun was important.

To be honest, I think if Chris had stayed on Doctor Who would have been written differently... the writers do write to the actor as much as the character...

I can say without a show of a doubt that I love both 9 & 10. Just like I find many things to love in all 10 Doctors... well I am lukewarm on 6 and 8 but you know times were tough then.

Comment

oh ... i do like Ten, but related more to Nine ... to his sadness, to his manic grin ... i didn't expect so much change in "personality" ... but with new doctor there's some new quirks so to say ... i just started to miss Nine (and i'm seriously NEW to the show - started... uh, two months ago) ... i need to get used to this technique

i'm not sayin that i don't like Ten, Ten is great! and Tennant is very cute and must say, Sheppards hair is in real great danger!

You are tiny. I can see the whole of time and space - every single atom of your existence, and I divide them. Everything must come to dust... all things. Everything dies.

Comment

three, or four, or eight, but never nine or ten.

ever
            Spoiler:
            Disclaimer:
            I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
            Quotes!
            - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
            - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
            - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
            sigpic

Comment

I agree that it's very hard to compare, they both bring a uniqueness to the Doctor. When I first saw Ten though I wasn't quite sure because DT played him so quirky it seemed. He's grown on me quite a bit since then though. The fact that he's very easy on the eyes helps a lot as well too. I still like CE's take on him and as someone said it made sense since he had just come from the horrors of the Time War so makes sense he'd be a bit more subdued and serious. Plus CE isn't bad on the eyes either. LOL
              Shelly
              My Photos
              sigpic

Comment

I like the Tenth doctor better , to me he fits being the doctor

And all those Quirks he has are great at times he can be very serious but suddenly all happy. but i supose the ninth doctor does that aswell

But i like the Tenth better

Comment

Tenth.. and not just because I'm a manic David Tennant fangirl. I liked the Tenth Doctor before I liked Tennant. I loved CE his take on the role was amazing. but Tennant.. I dunno he's just out there and wacky... and I admire that in a person. So yeah... ten...... also David is.... my true love

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Jumper View Post
                    . So yeah... ten...... also David is.... my true love
                    yeah so not a manic David Tennant fangirl ...

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Jumper View Post
                      Tenth.. and not just because I'm a manic David Tennant fangirl. I liked the Tenth Doctor before I liked Tennant. I loved CE his take on the role was amazing. but Tennant.. I dunno he's just out there and wacky... and I admire that in a person. So yeah... ten...... also David is.... my true love

Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Nine was mostly serious, and would go all light-weight and silly here and there.

Ten is mostly flippant and frivolous, but goes deep and dark now and again.

The reason I prefer Ten is because Ten's serious moments seem to have more power, because they show such contrast to the rest of him.

With Nine on the other hand, the lighthearted lines seem out of character, and while they're amusing and CE shows real passion at times in his more dramatic scenes, nothing in Nine's repetoire grabs me in the stomach in the way that Ten's scenes do when he (Ten) is scared or angry or just very serious.

Still, when Nine was all we'd had in decades, I loved Nine; I still do. I just think he was bettered.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by ~Benjamin~ View Post
                          yeah so not a manic David Tennant fangirl ...
                          pish of course not... Just because I know his shoe size and date of birth.... doesn't mean I'm manic...
                          Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post

Hahahaha I LOOOOVE The Doctor..
                          Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
                          Nine was mostly serious, and would go all light-weight and silly here and there.

The reason I prefer Ten is because Ten's serious moments seem to have more power, because they show such contrast to the rest of him.

With Nine on the other hand, the lighthearted lines seem out of character, and while they're amusing and CE shows real passion at times in his more dramatic scenes, nothing in Nine's repetoire grabs me in the stomach in the way that Ten's scenes do when he (Ten) is scared or angry or just very serious.

Still, when Nine was all we'd had in decades, I loved Nine; I still do. I just think he was bettered.
                          Couldn't've said it better myself!

Comment

Ten, for me. Somehow David Tennant has just created a Doctor that has utterly captured my imagination.

I was aware of Dr Who coming back onto TV and caught a few episodes, or bits of episodes, here and there, but I didn't get hooked. No disrespect to CE as I think he's a fine actor and have been impressed by him in various roles, but he just didn't grab me as the Doctor. I can't exactly put my finger on why, he just didn't fire my imagination and I didn't find myself particularly enthralled by the character.

Then I watched The Christmas Invasion and was literally instantly hooked. I clearly remember watching it at my brother-in-law's house on xmas day and thinking, "Dammit. I wish I was at home - I should be recording this cos I know I'll want to watch it again!"

I love the mercurial nature of 10th, I love his humour and his tendency to ramble (and the thing he does where he keeps correcting himself/changing his mind, as in Army of Ghosts with his, "But she makes a good cup to tea. Well, I say good. Well... etc" ) For me, Tennant's portrayal has just the right amount of eccentricity and manicness to it. With regard to the classic series, they always say your favourite Doctor is the one you grew up with and for me it was Tom Baker - another mercurial, kinda manic Doctor! For me though, Tennant has eclipsed even Baker as my favourite.

I have all 3 seasons on boxset now and have been back and watched the 9th episodes that I'd missed and I enjoy the season, I like the stories etc but still 9th just doesn't really... interest me - aside from the really dramatic moments like his freaking out on seeing the Dalek and at the end of The Parting of the Ways. The rest of the time he just seems kind of flat to me and the humour seems forced. He seems to lack the air of... I dunno, mystery that 10th carries with him.

It's hard to explain. After all, how do you explain why you like one thing and not another (or not as much)? So I like 9th episodes but mostly only for the backstory - my real interest in the show from a fannish perspective kicks in with 10th's arrival.

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post

Very well said! Much better than my attempt! Ten just seems to have such depths to me, he really comes across as a lonely and rather tortured soul - more so to me than Nine did, despite his character actually being darker/more serious. As you say, the contrast of seeing the darkness in Ten compared with his usual effervescent behaviour makes it all the more powerful. Nine's manic monents or humour never felt quite right to me, they seemed a little forced.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X