Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Nine vs. Ten

  1. #1
    Staff Sergeant -fallen-one-'s Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    71

    Default Nine vs. Ten

    who and WHY is better? i know many people went nuts for Tenth, bein all young, giddily and wacky ... but some people still prefer Ninth Doctor ... (and i LOVE Nine) ... so, who's Your fave?

    NINE or TEN?

    *no fights please*
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...r/fall20fx.gif
    You are tiny. I can see the whole of time and space - every single atom of your existence, and I divide them. Everything must come to dust... all things. Everything dies.

  2. #2
    Captain methosivanhoe's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In Atlantis infirmary, with Dr Keller ;)
    Posts
    1,072

    Default Re: Nine vs. Ten

    both... i like both of them

    nine had some brilliant adventures and he was the one who ended the last time war... ten has also had some kick ass times though

    M
    http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p...oe/xion1-2.jpg
    Click on the image to go to my fanfics.

  3. #3
    Colonel P-90_177's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Traveling through Time and Space
    Posts
    7,069

    Default Re: Nine vs. Ten

    Both are extremely cool. There really isn't that much difference either. Both can be really wacky and both have this really big dark side and sadness. I personally have no preferance. The only thing i wish is that we'd had more time with the ninth and i'm really hoping for both of them to show up together.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

  4. #4
    Major General Willow'sCat's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    10,202

    Default Re: Nine vs. Ten

    Quote Originally Posted by -fallen-one- View Post
    who and WHY is better? i know many people went nuts for Tenth, bein all young, giddily and wacky ... but some people still prefer Ninth Doctor ... (and i LOVE Nine) ... so, who's Your fave?

    NINE or TEN?

    *no fights please*
    I would say as with all The Doctor's they bring something unique to the character so to say one is better then the other is missing the whole point of Doctor Who...IMHO because unlike any other show (well a bit like James Bond) you never 'change' the basicis of character when you change the actor; you just change some, lets say...idiosyncrasies.

    I think 9 was what the show needed at the time, it needed a slightly tougher (around the edges) Doctor because he had relatively speaking just come out of a war, a war that saw his people wiped out... but then as 10 was introduced he was in a slightly better place so having a Doctor, who was able to see lighter moments and have a sense of fun was important.

    To be honest, I think if Chris had stayed on Doctor Who would have been written differently... the writers do write to the actor as much as the character...

    I can say without a show of a doubt that I love both 9 & 10. Just like I find many things to love in all 10 Doctors... well I am lukewarm on 6 and 8 but you know times were tough then.

  5. #5
    Staff Sergeant -fallen-one-'s Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    71

    Default Re: Nine vs. Ten

    oh ... i do like Ten, but related more to Nine ... to his sadness, to his manic grin ... i didn't expect so much change in "personality" ... but with new doctor there's some new quirks so to say ... i just started to miss Nine (and i'm seriously NEW to the show - started... uh, two months ago) ... i need to get used to this technique

    i'm not sayin that i don't like Ten, Ten is great! and Tennant is very cute and must say, Sheppards hair is in real great danger!
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...r/fall20fx.gif
    You are tiny. I can see the whole of time and space - every single atom of your existence, and I divide them. Everything must come to dust... all things. Everything dies.

  6. #6
    Lieutenant Colonel AvatarIII's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2007
    Location
    Back from Yudonwanano,
    Posts
    3,268

    Default Re: Nine vs. Ten

    three, or four, or eight, but never nine or ten.

    ever
    Spoiler:
    Disclaimer:
    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
    Quotes!
    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
    STARGAvaTarIII
    http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4...0137376zj2.png

  7. #7
    Colonel RDAfan61's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2004
    Location
    In Shrill & Uninformed Lemming Land
    Posts
    5,604

    Default Re: Nine vs. Ten

    I agree that it's very hard to compare, they both bring a uniqueness to the Doctor. When I first saw Ten though I wasn't quite sure because DT played him so quirky it seemed. He's grown on me quite a bit since then though. The fact that he's very easy on the eyes helps a lot as well too. I still like CE's take on him and as someone said it made sense since he had just come from the horrors of the Time War so makes sense he'd be a bit more subdued and serious. Plus CE isn't bad on the eyes either. LOL

  8. #8
    First Lieutenant ~Benjamin~'s Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    901

    Default Re: Nine vs. Ten

    I like the Tenth doctor better , to me he fits being the doctor

    And all those Quirks he has are great at times he can be very serious but suddenly all happy. but i supose the ninth doctor does that aswell

    But i like the Tenth better

  9. #9
    Captain Commander Jumper's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Work Work Work
    Posts
    1,857

    Default Re: Nine vs. Ten

    Tenth.. and not just because I'm a manic David Tennant fangirl. I liked the Tenth Doctor before I liked Tennant. I loved CE his take on the role was amazing. but Tennant.. I dunno he's just out there and wacky... and I admire that in a person. So yeah... ten...... also David is.... my true love

  10. #10
    First Lieutenant ~Benjamin~'s Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Unknown
    Posts
    901

    Default Re: Nine vs. Ten

    Quote Originally Posted by Commander Jumper View Post
    . So yeah... ten...... also David is.... my true love
    yeah so not a manic David Tennant fangirl ...

  11. #11
    Colonel P-90_177's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Traveling through Time and Space
    Posts
    7,069

    Default Re: Nine vs. Ten

    Quote Originally Posted by Commander Jumper View Post
    Tenth.. and not just because I'm a manic David Tennant fangirl. I liked the Tenth Doctor before I liked Tennant. I loved CE his take on the role was amazing. but Tennant.. I dunno he's just out there and wacky... and I admire that in a person. So yeah... ten...... also David is.... my true love

    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

  12. #12
    Brigadier General Madeleine's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Medusa Cascade
    Posts
    8,576

    Default Re: Nine vs. Ten

    Nine was mostly serious, and would go all light-weight and silly here and there.

    Ten is mostly flippant and frivolous, but goes deep and dark now and again.

    The reason I prefer Ten is because Ten's serious moments seem to have more power, because they show such contrast to the rest of him.

    With Nine on the other hand, the lighthearted lines seem out of character, and while they're amusing and CE shows real passion at times in his more dramatic scenes, nothing in Nine's repetoire grabs me in the stomach in the way that Ten's scenes do when he (Ten) is scared or angry or just very serious.

    Still, when Nine was all we'd had in decades, I loved Nine; I still do. I just think he was bettered.

    Madeleine

  13. #13
    Captain Commander Jumper's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Work Work Work
    Posts
    1,857

    Default Re: Nine vs. Ten

    Quote Originally Posted by ~Benjamin~ View Post
    yeah so not a manic David Tennant fangirl ...
    pish of course not... Just because I know his shoe size and date of birth.... doesn't mean I'm manic...
    Quote Originally Posted by P-90_177 View Post

    Hahahaha I LOOOOVE The Doctor..
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeleine_W View Post
    Nine was mostly serious, and would go all light-weight and silly here and there.

    Ten is mostly flippant and frivolous, but goes deep and dark now and again.

    The reason I prefer Ten is because Ten's serious moments seem to have more power, because they show such contrast to the rest of him.

    With Nine on the other hand, the lighthearted lines seem out of character, and while they're amusing and CE shows real passion at times in his more dramatic scenes, nothing in Nine's repetoire grabs me in the stomach in the way that Ten's scenes do when he (Ten) is scared or angry or just very serious.

    Still, when Nine was all we'd had in decades, I loved Nine; I still do. I just think he was bettered.
    Couldn't've said it better myself!

  14. #14
    Lieutenant General Alipeeps's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2006
    Location
    counting the shadows
    Posts
    19,591

    Default Re: Nine vs. Ten

    Ten, for me. Somehow David Tennant has just created a Doctor that has utterly captured my imagination.

    I was aware of Dr Who coming back onto TV and caught a few episodes, or bits of episodes, here and there, but I didn't get hooked. No disrespect to CE as I think he's a fine actor and have been impressed by him in various roles, but he just didn't grab me as the Doctor. I can't exactly put my finger on why, he just didn't fire my imagination and I didn't find myself particularly enthralled by the character.

    Then I watched The Christmas Invasion and was literally instantly hooked. I clearly remember watching it at my brother-in-law's house on xmas day and thinking, "Dammit. I wish I was at home - I should be recording this cos I know I'll want to watch it again!"

    I love the mercurial nature of 10th, I love his humour and his tendency to ramble (and the thing he does where he keeps correcting himself/changing his mind, as in Army of Ghosts with his, "But she makes a good cup to tea. Well, I say good. Well... etc" ) For me, Tennant's portrayal has just the right amount of eccentricity and manicness to it. With regard to the classic series, they always say your favourite Doctor is the one you grew up with and for me it was Tom Baker - another mercurial, kinda manic Doctor! For me though, Tennant has eclipsed even Baker as my favourite.

    I have all 3 seasons on boxset now and have been back and watched the 9th episodes that I'd missed and I enjoy the season, I like the stories etc but still 9th just doesn't really... interest me - aside from the really dramatic moments like his freaking out on seeing the Dalek and at the end of The Parting of the Ways. The rest of the time he just seems kind of flat to me and the humour seems forced. He seems to lack the air of... I dunno, mystery that 10th carries with him.

    It's hard to explain. After all, how do you explain why you like one thing and not another (or not as much)? So I like 9th episodes but mostly only for the backstory - my real interest in the show from a fannish perspective kicks in with 10th's arrival.

    Quote Originally Posted by Madeleine_W View Post
    Nine was mostly serious, and would go all light-weight and silly here and there.

    Ten is mostly flippant and frivolous, but goes deep and dark now and again.

    The reason I prefer Ten is because Ten's serious moments seem to have more power, because they show such contrast to the rest of him.

    With Nine on the other hand, the lighthearted lines seem out of character, and while they're amusing and CE shows real passion at times in his more dramatic scenes, nothing in Nine's repetoire grabs me in the stomach in the way that Ten's scenes do when he (Ten) is scared or angry or just very serious.

    Still, when Nine was all we'd had in decades, I loved Nine; I still do. I just think he was bettered.
    Very well said! Much better than my attempt! Ten just seems to have such depths to me, he really comes across as a lonely and rather tortured soul - more so to me than Nine did, despite his character actually being darker/more serious. As you say, the contrast of seeing the darkness in Ten compared with his usual effervescent behaviour makes it all the more powerful. Nine's manic monents or humour never felt quite right to me, they seemed a little forced.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •