The codes/passwords to the base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The codes/passwords to the base

There were several things that bothered me about this episode (not so much that it prevented me from enjoying the episodes) but... the biggest issue might be why in the world McKay is the only one with the codes to the base?

The only reason Sheppard knew is because Mckay told him thinking he would never remember it... Why wouldn't other people have the codes? People like... the commander of the base. Yes he is the head of the science department... but he is not the commander to the base. What if Mckay gets eaten by some sea creature in this new world and then the system is completely lost. Mckay is smart and everything but it's not smart to leave everything to him.

Maybe Carter has her own codes that override Mckay's. *shrugs* She did say she needed to get to a work station.

Maybe next time, they should just set it to manual self-destruct needing two sets of command keys.

Originally posted by toomanysides View Post
    There were several things that bothered me about this episode (not so much that it prevented me from enjoying the episodes) but... the biggest issue might be why in the world McKay is the only one with the codes to the base?

The only reason Sheppard knew is because Mckay told him thinking he would never remember it... Why wouldn't other people have the codes? People like... the commander of the base. Yes he is the head of the science department... but he is not the commander to the base. What if Mckay gets eaten by some sea creature in this new world and then the system is completely lost. Mckay is smart and everything but it's not smart to leave everything to him.

Maybe Carter has her own codes that override Mckay's. *shrugs* She did say she needed to get to a work station.

Maybe next time, they should just set it to manual self-destruct needing two sets of command keys.
    They all have codes that go with their clearence level. Only a few have the codes to the self destruct, and a very few to the whole base.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
      They all have codes that go with their clearence level. Only a few have the codes to the self destruct, and a very few to the whole base.
      Yes but the use of Rodney's code means that it was only his code that could disable the quarantine. Otherwise Sheppard would use his own.

Comment

Carter and Rodney would definitely have clearance along with a few other people, but Sheppard would not. There's a dual set of levels between the military and the technical teams, and obviously we don't want one of those to break quarantine procedures on a whim.

In fact, John knowing a code above his clearance is a severe breach of security. That wouldn't be overlooked in the Milky Way, but I suppose discipline is more lax when you're millions of light years away.

Comment

Originally posted by Malakriss View Post
          Carter and Rodney would definitely have clearance along with a few other people, but Sheppard would not. There's a dual set of levels between the military and the technical teams, and obviously we don't want one of those to break quarantine procedures on a whim.
          Exactly.
          In fact, John knowing a code above his clearance is a severe breach of security. That wouldn't be overlooked in the Milky Way, but I suppose discipline is more lax when you're millions of light years away.
          Good point and no it wouldn't be overlooked however in this instance it would be.

Comment

I was more upset by the fact that the password was just a string of 14 numbers. That seems incredibly insecure considering the intelligence of their enemies.

As for no one but Rodney being able to shut down the quarantine, that's not true. Teyla asked if Carter or Zelenka could shut it down and Sheppard said, "If they could'a they would'a done it already. They probably can't get ahold of one (a computer) either."

Three people can tell the computer to stop being an idiot and none of them could access a computer to do so.

Comment

either way no one could get to a workstation or a computer

that also a problem that would mean anyone could hack into a computer on atalntis anywhere and dial the self destuct
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wise one View Post
                that also a problem that would mean anyone could hack into a computer on atalntis anywhere and dial the self destuct
                Anyone. anywhere. That is some security issue.

To people above. So Sheppard really wouldn't have authorization to have codes to shut off a self destruct?

Comment

For all we know, the entire base knows the self destruct codes. It wouldn't make sense for them not too, especially if the high ranking leaders are killed first before they have time to arm the self destruct.

Hell, Chuck had a self-destruct code...and he's just there to dial the gate and do what Walter does.
                  http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

I think they needed Rodneys code for this reason........

It wasn't a normal self destruct. It was a part of the quarantine program which Rodney had been fiddling with. Maybe it was put in place so it couldn't be deactivated for the reason that if everyone was disabled by a virus it would stop the disease from spreading..... So they needed Rodneys code do turn off the program or fiddle with it somemore. Whats really gonna bake your noodle is this.
                    In Critical mass Mckay said to Caldwell "it's a 16 digit alpha numeric code I will have to enter half a dozen times. And I haven't gotten round to memorizing yours yet." Wasn't this one 14 digits??????? All numbers????

Comment

this new password also isn't alphanumeric, it was just numeric

I think i had an issue with one person having such control, to the point that no one else could shut it down.

there's not some command override?

worst case scenario, rodney could be compromised, brainwashed, and blow up the city.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                        this new password also isn't alphanumeric, it was just numeric

I think i had an issue with one person having such control, to the point that no one else could shut it down.

there's not some command override?

worst case scenario, rodney could be compromised, brainwashed, and blow up the city.
                        Could it be that no one was supposed to be able to shut it down. If an infected crazy person could shut it down there wouldn't be much point in having the protocol. They may not realise they are endangering thousands and think they are perfectly fine.
                        I still think that by shutting off the power made the whole thing a bit pointless too.

Comment

They didn't need Rodney's code for the self destruct, just the alert beacon. The computers shut down before Sheppard could shut down the self destruct. Also, it makes since to not give Sheppard the quarantine Shutdown code since A: He is no longer the military commander on the base and B: Remember the last time Atlantis got quarantined? He breached it in direct conflict with an order from the base commander.

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
                            They didn't need Rodney's code for the self destruct, just the alert beacon. The computers shut down before Sheppard could shut down the self destruct. Also, it makes since to not give Sheppard the quarantine Shutdown code since A: He is no longer the military commander on the base and B: Remember the last time Atlantis got quarantined? He breached it in direct conflict with an order from the base commander.
                            Good point.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
                              Three people can tell the computer to stop being an idiot and none of them could access a computer to do so.
                              Nicely said.
                              sigpic
                              More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Working...
                              X