This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anti Ronon/Keller ship

Does this ship bother anyone else as much as me?

First up, I'll lay my cards on the table and declare myself a Ronon-thunker. But, be that as it may, the only ships I like in SG are the ones that fly The reason for this is the generally appalling way in which romantic relationships are written. A gross generalisation, I suppose, but in my experience, men should never write about non-platonic relationships.

Okay, so it all started in Doppelganger with the line (Dex to Sheppard) "You know, you don't need to stick around. I'm fine." followed closely by Dex telling Keller that he didn't think Sheppard was seeing anyone. Glaring plot device to have them alone, in as much physical contact as possible, and bringing romance into the conversation.

Tabula Rasa. Until Keller became affected by the virus, there was as much grabbing of arms as possible, touching of various body parts as possible, looking intently into each other's eyes as possible, with Ronon spending an unprecedented amount of time just hanging out in the infirmary, instead of doing what Ronon would be expected to be doing, which is helping! Out of character much?

Missing. At the end? When the Bola Kai are attacking? Are we seriously expected to believe that Ronon would grab Keller by the arm and whisk her away, leaving Rodney to defend them?! Oh, come on!!!

And now Quarantine. A cut like that, from sparring? They spar with sticks, for crying out loud! Lie on a bed to stitch an arm? Yeah, right! Ronon pour his heart out about Melena to someone he clearly didn't know well? Pull the other one! Ronon give two hoots about her poor tortured child-prodigy youth? You've got to be kidding! Gazing and hair sniffing?! What show is this again?!

The thing that gets me so worked up about this ship is that in order to achieve it, the writers have to completely mess with who Ronon is, and in doing so turn him into just another normal human male grunt instead of someone with history and mystery. And in the process, turn SGA into a soap. That whole "Ronon needs someone to look after" thing, which is why he's paired with a weakling? What patronising bull! That whole "Melena was a nurse, Keller is a doctor, it's natural" thing? More patronising bull. But we can't have any complexity to our characters, can we? The best we can expect for Ronon's character development is either fighting or puppy dog eyes... and the latter makes me ill.

*steps down off soapbox and waits to see if anybody else will come and play*
    sigpic

*runs in, squishiehuggles Lah* You know I'll play. And I don't really have anything to add to your thing, except for AMEN! I'll post a longer thing when my brain's working
    sigpic
    Awesome sig by Laura
    "We're eating stardust" ~Mr. R

The randomess that is me
    Nibbles Zane Ducky Pixie Ace Bunny Sally Hunter Kitty

Comment

Originally posted by Salamas View Post
      *runs in, squishiehuggles Lah* You know I'll play. And I don't really have anything to add to your thing, except for AMEN! I'll post a longer thing when my brain's working
      *huggles Sal*
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
        *huggles Sal*
        *huggles back* And the whole Quarantine thing was horrible! The whole time it seemed like it was Jason trying to be Ronon. It didn't look like Ronon at all. When you can see the actor shining through it already shows how bad the idea of the entire ship is. They dont fit together.
        sigpic
        Awesome sig by Laura

The randomess that is me

Comment

Comment

Comment

*peeks round thread......sees fan girls. Runs away.*
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Sal, Lahela.... I miss you guys.....

Comment

*jumps in*

Ronon/Keller who ever thought of this idea needs to be fired. I can see Ronon wanting to take care of Keller in a little sister kind of way but I find it hard to believe that he would be romantically interested in her. First she is whinny and annyoing. I think Ronon is just projecting, he misses his wife and Keller with being a doctor kind of reminds him of her. Keller should know better but then again she is what 20. lol.
                  sigpic
                  My OTP's LEAP with passion. Weir did it better.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                    *peeks round thread......sees fan girls. Runs away.*
                    Don't worry P-90, this isn't a fangirl thing (besides, I'm way too old to be a fangirl ) - it's a cr@ppy plot device, totally unrealistic abuse of characters thing. Feel free to jump right in

Originally posted by Ruined_puzzle View Post
                    *jumps in*

Ronon/Keller who ever thought of this idea needs to be fired. I can see Ronon wanting to take care of Keller in a little sister kind of way but I find it hard to believe that he would be romantically interested in her. First she is whinny and annyoing. I think Ronon is just projecting, he misses his wife and Keller with being a doctor kind of reminds him of her. Keller should know better but then again she is what 20. lol.
                    Totally agree. It's unrealistic, it does nothing to advance character development, it's just patronising cr@p. And to write it as romance it just infuriating - the entire SG universe has survived very well for so many years without romance, then suddenly we need this Mills and Boon stuff? I don't think so!

As my hubby is so fond of saying, if I want romantic interludes in my scifi, I'll watch Star Wars.
                    sigpic

Comment

For creating this thread I salute you.:

Comment

Originally posted by Arica12 View Post
                        For creating this thread I salute you.:
                        Thanks Arica I was trying to ignore the obvious ship-centred plot devices, but after Quarantine I decided it was just ridiculous!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
                          As my hubby is so fond of saying, if I want romantic interludes in my scifi, I'll watch Star Wars.
                          Your hubby sounds like mine.

I must green you for starting this thread.

Now, while I'm not totally opposed to some romance, I do worry about how it will be handled. This show doesn't seem very conducive to dedicating any significant amount of time to romantic relationships.

Keller and Ronon seem so forced to me. Then again, Keller, herself has always seemed to be a square peg tptb are trying to hammer into a round hole. Why should her romantic interests be any different?

Ronon, who I have always seen as a man, suddenly seemed more like a teenage boy in his scenes with Keller.

I prefer the man.

Comment

Originally posted by erb View Post

Keller and Ronon seem so forced to me. Then again, Keller, herself has always seemed to be a square peg tptb are trying to hammer into a round hole. Why should her romantic interests be any different?
                            Best description of Keller ever! And of the ridiculous attempt at the ship.
                            sigpic
                            Awesome sig by Laura

The randomess that is me

Comment

Blech, was this ship really started by the overused cliche where two people get the hawts for each other thanks to close quarters? That's really sad.

I don't think they have anything in common. Ronon must simply like women who need protecting.

Comment

Working...
                              X