Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Show is called Stargate Atlantis: Do they ever use the Stargate Anymore?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Show is called Stargate Atlantis: Do they ever use the Stargate Anymore?

I honestly am disappointed in the direction Atlantis and Stargate have gone
    Every episode Stargate is resembling Star Trek
    Transporters
    space ships
    Silly Tech-Speak Answers to save everyone at the last moment
    Stargate SG1 was so different from all those trek series
    now TPTB have changed everything.
    So much so, that they dont even use the Stargate anymore, when's the last time you saw any exploration or interesting problems created by visiting new worlds.

Instead we get endless villiage episodes
    and the crew sitting around a table eating.

SG-1 was about traveling through the gate. Atlantis on the other hand was always exploring the city of the Ancients.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
      Atlantis on the other hand was always exploring the city of the Ancients.
      Yeah, and how often does that happen?

Comment

I agree that they don't travel through the gate as much as they did and that is a sad thing. I also think it's a bit silly how far we as a race have advanced in just 11 years. I wasn't too best pleased when those asgard beams showed up on the deadalus and apollo.
        I don't see any problem with the tech speak though. Esspecially in atlantis. SG-1 was mainly about mythology whereas atlantis is the science show. and the more sci-fi of the two. But that is what comes when you set the main part of your story in an alien city a galaxy away from earth. Finding more advanced tech is inevitable, as is having to get out of situations using such tech.

But just to see about the stargate being used less I shall do a bit of a tally of 'through the gate' episodes. as in episodes where they go off world exploring.

Atlantis:

Season 1: 10 episodes.
        Season 2: 11 episodes
        season 3: 9 episodes
        Season 4: 7 so far if i include harmony.

SG1 (Seasons 8 through 10)

Season 8: 9 episodes
        Season 9: 14 episodes
        season 10: 9 episodes

My criteria for deciding these eps was mainly based on which ones contained the gate as a means to get to or from another world (i also included atlantis space gates but not the ori supergates.) and also episodes where the gate played a key part in either solving a problem or providing an obsticle. However I excluded episodes such as season 8's zero hour because the main portion of the episode follwed jack, who did not go through the gate, so to a certain extent it also depends on the characters movements. I haven't counted an episode just because we see lorne coming back from a mission........anyway like i said it's complex.

Going by that then it seems like stargate usage on SG-1 pretty well disappeared during season 8 and 10 but there was a fair proprtion in season 9.

As for atlantis, well since jelgate pointed out that part of the episodes are about exploring atlantis and some leeway should be given to tell other stories I'd say having half the episodes each season for featuring gate travel is pretty fair.

However many of the episodes I counted didn't actually show the gate at all, they merely showed them on another world. so perhaps it isn't the fact that they aren't using the gate anymore, it's the fact that TPTB are choosing not to show it us as much. This makes sense for atlantis. They do use a CGI gate now. which perhaps ruins some things..........

Anyway now i've rambled and probably have made no sense I would usually sumarise my main point. Except I'm so tired and this post has been so long that I can't actually remeber what my point is...............can someone help me out? Perhaps decypher what I was trying to say? Thanks.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I think we need some Pegagus gate system related adventures. SG-1 had stories about the DHD, dialing, chevrons, control crystals, overturned stargate etc. We need something similar to feel why are the new gates better etc.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Atlantis on the other hand was always exploring the city of the Ancients.
            Stolen Kosovo
            sigpic

Comment

Atlantis should start making episode about exploring un-charted part of the city. Cause the name of the show is......... you guessed it, Stargate Atlantis!!

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                I think we need some Pegagus gate system related adventures. SG-1 had stories about the DHD, dialing, chevrons, control crystals, overturned stargate etc. We need something similar to feel why are the new gates better etc.
                You know I would really like that especially as the pegasus gates are slightly different... I have been hoping for such an ep for a while

Comment

In terms of exploration in SGA...... well there is a small inbuilt issue! "The Wraith". The writers/creators mentioned that. The wraith never allows a civilization to achieve a particular level of tech. But still that shouldn't be an excuse all the time. It doesn't have to be civilizations. I mean its a new galaxy! What are the new basic elements/alloys they have found (SG-1 had at least naquadah and its variants, Trinium, Neutronium etc). Plant life? Special cures? And there could be an advanced civilization which has thrived because of some sorta protection given by nature itself or due technology. And for crying out loud! Its the city of the ancients! What about the ancients themselves? The city itself? The massive ancient database? History of the ancients? Stargate Atlantis has/had a huge load potential! But, IMHO I don't think it was handled correctly. Still there are plenty of kick-@ss episodes...

Comment

I agree with what's been said here - I've said it before in other threads. I miss the "Exploring Atlantis" episodes or "Exploring the Pegasus Galaxy" episodes we used to have. Not so crazy about this whole big arc we've got going on now that just treats Atlantis like a military base in a war, albeit a base with some special quirks.

Originally posted by Hyperwarp View Post
                    In terms of exploration in SGA...... well there is a small inbuilt issue! "The Wraith". The writers/creators mentioned that. The wraith never allows a civilization to achieve a particular level of tech. But still that shouldn't be an excuse all the time. It doesn't have to be civilizations. I mean its a new galaxy! What are the new basic elements/alloys they have found (SG-1 had at least naquadah and its variants, Trinium, Neutronium etc). Plant life? Special cures? And there could be an advanced civilization which has thrived because of some sorta protection given by nature itself or due technology. And for crying out loud! Its the city of the ancients! What about the ancients themselves? The city itself? The massive ancient database? History of the ancients? Stargate Atlantis has/had a huge load potential! But, IMHO I don't think it was handled correctly.
                    Some great ideas.
                    Last edited by Killdeer; 20 January 2008, 06:59 AM.
                    - Life after Stargate -
                    Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
                    Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
                    sigpic

Comment

Well if Atlantis uses the Stargate it would be a rip-off of SG-1.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

I greened you for that one!

There's also the fact that it's Stargate Atlantis, and Stargate Atlantis.

So, there are some stories using the Stargate, and some stories using Atlantis.

However, I can put myself into the 'would like more Atlantis city exploration episodes' camp, but I'm not going to cry if they don't.

Comment

SG-1 was about traveling through the gate. Atlantis on the other hand was always exploring the city of the Ancients.
                            Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                            Yeah, and how often does that happen?
                            Hmm, about once a year for spring cleaning.

Instead of a spin-off.

I agree the show relies way too much on ships, even the puddle jumper is becoming a rare sight with all the star trekking they do.
                            Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

the last time we saw the team actually step through the gate was 5 episodes ago, in The Seer

Comment

Working...
                              X