Sheppard, Teyla and pregnancy: Comments on Quarantine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ruffles View Post
    So good to find someone else that sees him that way. I think he's completely gawky around girls (watch his expression when he asks for Larrin's "phone number" in BAMSR).
    That was priceless. He was doing everything short of scuffing his feet in 'abashment'. Is that a word?

You know that I agree with you on this. I've asked for substantiation before as well and never gotten it. Read a comment on another thread about him not keeping his pants on and decided to not question what ep that was in.
    You saw that too? I just sighed, shook my head, and figured it had to be a girl about 14 years old who's been lectured about chastity one too many times. And has been told there's nodifference between a kiss and full-on sex

He's kissed 4 girls in 4 years (and 3 of those were initiated by the girl) - this excludes being under alien influence when he kissed Teyla and Weir. He does flirt on occasion with beautiful single women. He's a handsome single man. What's the problem?
    None to me. But then I'm adult and don't have pubescent kids to stress over.

Sometimes I wonder if those that accuse him of kirking actually understand that term.
    I don't think they do. And besides, in his heyday, Kirk was quite handsome, and if I'd been the 'alien princess' I think I'd've had some fun, too. Hmmm, kinda takes the insult out of that pejorative, doesn't it? They certainly didn't back off in horror back then, did they?

Anyway, back on topic - I liked Shep's reference to his college friend, the cop. Many single moms risk their lives everyday. It's a nice setup to explain why she'll stay on the team.
    Yes. The timing and attitude showed Teyla without making it personal that Sheppard had no problem with working mothers, even out on the front lines. That he valued her input to the team, but her level of activity would be her own choice. Nice.

Teal'c spent years as a single dad fighting for freedom. No reason Teyla can't.
    You could open a can of worms with traditionalists on that one.....

Comment

So good to find someone else that sees him that way. I think he's completely gawky around girls (watch his expression when he asks for Larrin's "phone number" in BAMSR).
      I loved the ‘phone number’ joke. I love Sheppard’s expressions when Larrin is around or even brought up. Gawky, flustered, afraid, off balance. JF is so good at it. Larrin may be over-the-top but I love her effect on Sheppard. I think she has a lot of possibilities.
      You know that I agree with you on this. I've asked for substantiation before as well and never gotten it. Read a comment on another thread about him not keeping his pants on and decided to not question what ep that was in. He's kissed 4 girls in 4 years (and 3 of those were initiated by the girl) - this excludes being under alien influence when he kissed Teyla and Weir. He does flirt on occasion with beautiful single women. He's a handsome single man. What's the problem?
      I don’t get it. Half the TV shows on now seem to have scenes in bed, but there is uproar every time Sheppard looks at a woman. I’m stunned every time it comes up. I don’t ever want to see him interested in a regular character, but I have nothing against him temporarily smitten by a guest star. (It gives me a chance to live vicariously. ) Like you say he's a handsome single man. Isn’t noticing pretty women part of the definition?
      Anyway, back on topic - I liked Shep's reference to his college friend, the cop. Many single moms risk their lives everyday. It's a nice setup to explain why she'll stay on the team. I thought it was entirely in character for her to question if she should take the risk, and I thought his answer was perfect. She told Ronon that the reason she stayed on Atlantis (and left her people) was that the Lantians were the best hope in defeating that Wraith. I would think in a way she would feel more strongly than ever about continuing that fight. She would want her child to grow up without living under that threat.
      Teal'c spent years as a single dad fighting for freedom. No reason Teyla can't.
      I liked the cop reference too. It grounds the story in the here and now. Does make me wonder when the last time was that talked to her and how and why they stayed in touch over the years. A friend from college? How many others does he have? Which college?

Of course, she will stay with the team, because she can protect her child best there.
      I hope she does it as a mother (and not a single one) with a live, healthy, normal baby. I hope she leaves the kid with his dad, who has become leader of the Athosians, and continues her fight against the Wraith because her reasons are still valid. (Or all the remaining Athosians come back to Atlantis to live --not my favorite idea, they got pretty boring).

Originally posted by Raven56 View Post
      Seems that's what they already have - but then perhaps the birth rate isn't what they might like That's an interesting idea. I like.
      The Wraith seem to keep humans at a rather primitive level. (Much cheaper to depict.) But I think they would want to have them well fed and well housed with a fairly high level of medical care. Optimize their breeding potential. Similar to raising beef.
      Oh, yes. To all three - keep the kids out , sitcoms are NOT my cup of tea, and I'll watch and watch and watch any episode that has SK b/s. Oops. maybe I ought to reverse that: SK s/b. LOL not sure that doesn't look even worse.....
      sigpic

Comment

That was priceless. He was doing everything short of scuffing his feet in 'abashment'. Is that a word?
        Abashment is indeed a word, and quite appropriate for the occasion.

You saw that too? I just sighed, shook my head, and figured it had to be a girl about 14 years old who's been lectured about chastity one too many times. And has been told there's nodifference between a kiss and full-on sex
        *giggles* And I figured it was from someone who despairs of him treating women like sex objects. The only problem with that theory is - he doesn't. He's never treated Teyla or Elizabeth or Sam in any way other than as an equal. A happy moment for me in BAMSR was when he told Teyla to shake off the stunning and move on. He treated her like a warrior not like a girl.

None to me. But then I'm adult and don't have pubescent kids to stress over.
        Me either. However most TV commercials are racier than the few times we've seen him flirt - Inferno comes to mind. Harmless flirting with a single girl (and mostly to irritate Rodney since he seemed fairly infatuated with her).

I don't think they do. And besides, in his heyday, Kirk was quite handsome, and if I'd been the 'alien princess' I think I'd've had some fun, too. Hmmm, kinda takes the insult out of that pejorative, doesn't it? They certainly didn't back off in horror back then, did they?
        Right again. For a true kirk, check out Dylan Hunt on Andromeda.

Yes. The timing and attitude showed Teyla without making it personal that Sheppard had no problem with working mothers, even out on the front lines. That he valued her input to the team, but her level of activity would be her own choice. Nice.
        I think he respects Teyla - her spirit, her leadership, her abilities, her wisdom. He knows she is an invaluable member of his team, and he doesn't want to lose that.

You could open a can of worms with traditionalists on that one.....
        Funny thing is - I am one of those traditionalists.

I would like to see Teyla's baby live and grow on Atlantis. I'm perfectly fine with Kanan (and the rest of the Athosians) being found, but I would rather see him live on Atlantis and care for the child while she goes on missions than have the baby shuttled off to the next New Athos to never be heard from again.

The same way that I know Chuck is at his station and Keller is in the infirmary when the team is off world is the way I would know the baby is in the nursery being cared for. He doesn't have to be shown or even referenced in every ep. I would just prefer him to be a regular baby and to see her (and the guys on the team) deal with that - colic, late night feedings, teething. Imagine McKay's disgust when he reaches for his favorite scanner to find baby slobber all over it. Hee!
        sigpic
        Sig by Luciana
        My LJ Proud member of W.A.S.P. My Fanfics

Comment

And I figured it was from someone who despairs of him treating women like sex objects. The only problem with that theory is - he doesn't. He's never treated Teyla or Elizabeth or Sam in any way other than as an equal. A happy moment for me in BAMSR was when he told Teyla to shake off the stunning and move on. He treated her like a warrior not like a girl.
          I never could quite get that 'sex object' slant. Oh, well. And yes, I thought the 'shake it off' was appropriate. Especially when he's used to her being the one to set the pace.

Me either. However most TV commercials are racier than the few times we've seen him flirt - Inferno comes to mind. Harmless flirting with a single girl (and mostly to irritate Rodney since he seemed fairly infatuated with her).
          Inferno really started a flap, didn't it? ROFL! I thought the same thing. Sheppard was perfectly distant until he saw Rodney bumbling, and then he just had to step in... they did have a real competition going at first, in just about everything.

Right again. For a true kirk, check out Dylan Hunt on Andromeda.
          Gotta say I quite like Kevin Sorbo - thought Hercules was loads of fun, so I watched the first season of Andromeda, butsort of lost interest during the break. I have most of the episodes, though; a friend recorded them as they were showing, so one day I'll go back and watch the whole thing. I did hear that Hunt kinda went 'lady of the week' there.

Funny thing is - I am one of those traditionalists.

I would like to see Teyla's baby live and grow on Atlantis. I'm perfectly fine with Kanan (and the rest of the Athosians) being found, but I would rather see him live on Atlantis and care for the child while she goes on missions than have the baby shuttled off to the next New Athos to never be heard from again.
          Sorry, I was actually thinking of the 'womenfolks stay at home and nurse babies while the menfolks go hunt down the supper for the table' kind of tradition.

The same way that I know Chuck is at his station and Keller is in the infirmary when the team is off world is the way I would know the baby is in the nursery being cared for. He doesn't have to be shown or even referenced in every ep. I would just prefer him to be a regular baby and to see her (and the guys on the team) deal with that - colic, late night feedings, teething. Imagine McKay's disgust when he reaches for his favorite scanner to find baby slobber all over it. Hee!
          Or the first time one of them has to change a diaper?

Comment

Originally posted by blue-skyz View Post
            I loved the ‘phone number’ joke. I love Sheppard’s expressions when Larrin is around or even brought up. Gawky, flustered, afraid, off balance. JF is so good at it. Larrin may be over-the-top but I love her effect on Sheppard. I think she has a lot of possibilities.
            You and I seem to be a couple of the few who have no problem with Larrin. The character herself doesn't fascinate me (I just have this sneaking suspicion that leader of the ship is simply lineal, and she got it by being the direct descendent of the last captain), but I absolutely adore what she does to Sheppard. He's such a hoot when he starts stumbling all over himself. And I rather liked it that she was the one who started the OTT innuendo contest. His face! That was a true WTF? expression. Priceless!

I don’t get it. Half the TV shows on now seem to have scenes in bed, but there is uproar every time Sheppard looks at a woman. I’m stunned every time it comes up. I don’t ever want to see him interested in a regular character, but I have nothing against him temporarily smitten by a guest star. (It gives me a chance to live vicariously. ) Like you say he's a handsome single man. Isn’t noticing pretty women part of the definition?
            Yes, and me too. Very strange. One poster in another thread said that Rodney has/had Katie, now Ronon has Keller, so when will Sheppard get to have some on-screen romance? I LMAO at that, and just had to go check out the poster. Any guesses? Yep, male. I havent done a full survey, but it would be interesting to know for sure who obsesses about 'kirking'. I don't think all females obsess about it, but I'm pretty sure that every 'kirker' has been either female or gay male. Kinda makes you wonder, huh?

I liked the cop reference too. It grounds the story in the here and now. Does make me wonder when the last time was that talked to her and how and why they stayed in touch over the years. A friend from college? How many others does he have? Which college?
            Oh, background details! Yes, please!

The Wraith seem to keep humans at a rather primitive level. (Much cheaper to depict.) But I think they would want to have them well fed and well housed with a fairly high level of medical care. Optimize their breeding potential. Similar to raising beef.

Or 'long pig'. Ulp.

Comment

I am in complete agreement. He and Rodney both need someone to challenge them, and Larrin fits the bill for Sheppard - strong, sassy, not overwhelmed by his good looks or ATA gene. She could be a great character if TPTB decide to invest a little in her. Michael and Todd have turned out to be complex and interesting. No reason she can't. I think we need to know a little more about the Travellers though - need to be able to take her and them seriously.

I thought so. I know that I notice handsome men, and if I get a chance to flirt, even better.

I was dying to know all of that when he mentioned his college friend, Todd, in SoW. I also want to know what he majored in.

Of course, she will stay with the team, because she can protect her child best there.
              I hope she does it as a mother (and not a single one) with a live, healthy, normal baby. I hope she leaves the kid with his dad, who has become leader of the Athosians, and continues her fight against the Wraith because her reasons are still valid. (Or all the remaining Athosians come back to Atlantis to live --not my favorite idea, they got pretty boring).
              I don't really care to have the Athosians live on Atlantis, but I don't think I'd care for the angst of having her child raised elsewhere (on New Athos). Even though she could visit often, it wouldn't be the same as coming home to her family every night.

Ewww.

I never could quite get that 'sex object' slant. Oh, well. And yes, I thought the 'shake it off' was appropriate. Especially when he's used to her being the one to set the pace.
              One of the things I really like about Stargate (both shows) is that they depict women as equals in intelligence and strength (of spirit if not body). They fight and sacrifice (and sometimes die).

Inferno really started a flap, didn't it? ROFL! I thought the same thing. Sheppard was perfectly distant until he saw Rodney bumbling, and then he just had to step in... they did have a real competition going at first, in just about everything.
              TBH, someone had to point out to me his motivation in flirting with Norina (?) in Inferno. Must have been too subtle for me to pick up the first time. But the idea of flirting with her just to annoy McKay cracks me up. It's a completely Sheppard thing to do (like the fruit basket for Sam in Reunion).

And I love his attempted flirtation in Aurora. First, he fails miserably and gets shocked by the forcefield in the process. Then he finds out he was flirting with a Wraith. Hee! Such a goof.

Gotta say I quite like Kevin Sorbo - thought Hercules was loads of fun, so I watched the first season of Andromeda, butsort of lost interest during the break. I have most of the episodes, though; a friend recorded them as they were showing, so one day I'll go back and watch the whole thing. I did hear that Hunt kinda went 'lady of the week' there.
              I liked Hercules too which is why I watched Andromeda, but sheesh. He does WAY more than flirt.

Sorry, I was actually thinking of the 'womenfolks stay at home and nurse babies while the menfolks go hunt down the supper for the table' kind of tradition.
              *giggles* I knew what you meant.

Or the first time one of them has to change a diaper?
              Or has to deal with projectile vomiting. Imagine getting that out of dreadlocks.
              sigpic
              Sig by Luciana

Comment

I am in complete agreement. He and Rodney both need someone to challenge them, and Larrin fits the bill for Sheppard - strong, sassy, not overwhelmed by his good looks or ATA gene. She could be a great character if TPTB decide to invest a little in her. Michael and Todd have turned out to be complex and interesting. No reason she can't. I think we need to know a little more about the Travellers though - need to be able to take her and them seriously.
                Exactly. Unfortunately the volume of the screams from the anti's whenever she's onscreen would deafen someone on Pluto. Sigh. I think the Travelers are definitely worth developing. They make me think of the Free Traders from Andre Norton's old books (in a GOOD way!). I like little things that bring back good memories!

I was dying to know all of that when he mentioned his college friend, Todd, in SoW. I also want to know what he majored in.
                Me too! Maybe mathematics? He was very quick with the 720 combinations, and remembering McKay's password? Wow.

I don't really care to have the Athosians live on Atlantis, but I don't think I'd care for the angst of having her child raised elsewhere (on New Athos). Even though she could visit often, it wouldn't be the same as coming home to her family every night.
                Bit of a problem either way; but if they have plenty of power for the Stargate, she could simply 'commute', perhaps. I don't want the Athosians there, either. Sigh.

But the idea of flirting with her just to annoy McKay cracks me up. It's a completely Sheppard thing to do (like the fruit basket for Sam in Reunion).
                ROFL. I'd forgotten that one. That was an evil, but very funny, thing to do, IMO. Darn it, I don't see a little devil smiley!

And I love his attempted flirtation in Aurora. First, he fails miserably and gets shocked by the forcefield in the process. Then he finds out he was flirting with a Wraith. Hee! Such a goof.
                I'd forgotten that one, too. And it never hit me that he'd been 'hitting on' a Wraith. Bet that gave him nightmares for a while!

Or has to deal with projectile vomiting. Imagine getting that out of dreadlocks.
                EWWWWWWWW!

Comment

Exactly. Unfortunately the volume of the screams from the anti's whenever she's onscreen would deafen someone on Pluto. Sigh. I think the Travelers are definitely worth developing. They make me think of the Free Traders from Andre Norton's old books (in a GOOD way!). I like little things that bring back good memories!
                  It's nice to have someone on almost equal footing rather than the medieval villagers we usually see.

Me too! Maybe mathematics? He was very quick with the 720 combinations, and remembering McKay's password? Wow.
                  Mathematics is a definite possibility. I personally think he has a business degree perhaps in some kind of strategic planning/management.

Bit of a problem either way; but if they have plenty of power for the Stargate, she could simply 'commute', perhaps. I don't want the Athosians there, either. Sigh.
                  Agreed but then she wouldn't be around (in my mind) except right before and after missions - not there for Atlantis in peril eps like Quarantine or Tabula Rasa.

I'd forgotten that one, too. And it never hit me that he'd been 'hitting on' a Wraith. Bet that gave him nightmares for a while!
                  What really made me laugh is later when McKay's drooling over her, Shep points it out but conveniently forgets to mention he did the same. Hee!

EWWWWWWWW!
                  Well, since Jason cut the 'locks, he could use that as an excuse for Ronon to lose them.
                  sigpic
                  Sig by Luciana

Comment

guys, first, stop talking about other fan groups

Second, the topic is sheppard, teyla and pregnancy and was meant to be about the shep/teyla scenes in quarantine. It's not a general discussion thread about sheppard. So let's get stuff more on topic and take the general sheppard stuff to a more general thread please
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Given Sheppard's concern over the pregnancy, I can see him taking on the role of father to the baby if Kanan is not successfully rescued.

Comment

Originally posted by BubblingOverWithIdeas View Post
                        Given Sheppard's concern over the pregnancy, I can see him taking on the role of father to the baby if Kanan is not successfully rescued.
                        Me, too. At the very least Uncle Shep - and considering how he's been with the pregnancy (nervous and overprotective), I think he'd probably do a few major freak-outs.... Hmmm, that could be very amusing....

Comment

oh i hope Shep is there for the birth, maybe she can name him after him?

one thing i know Teyla was carzy for peering and attempting to go out the window , i was like " what the heck is she doing?"
                          sigpic
                          May the odds be ever in your Favor ! oh and please say hello to me on Skype and Facebook

Comment

Working...
                          X