Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torchwood News, Articles, Cast and Crew Interviews (Spoilers)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torchwood: Suzie Costello will return!
    14 February 2016

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/torc...lo-will-return

This summer, the hunt is on – and Indira Varma is ready!

Announced live on stage at Gallifrey One 27 by Big Finish Executive Producer Jason Haigh-Ellery, the fourth episode of Big Finish's second series of Torchwood audios will see the return of Torchwood's troubled Suzie Costello – once again played by Indira Varma (Luther, Silk, Game of Thrones).

'We still can't believe Indira said yes – but she did, and she's been utterly delightful,' enthuses producer James Goss. 'We were dying to bring back Suzie as soon as we started – she's such an interesting character, and giving her a solo adventure provides us with a chance to explore what makes her tick. Amazingly, this is a story where she's the hero. Or the nearest thing to it.'

Introduced in Torchwood's opening episode Everything Changes, Suzie was Jack Harkness' original deputy in Torchwood Three – until her true nature was revealed.

Suzie returns in Torchwood: Moving Target by Guy Adams. Set a year before her death, the story explores her bleak outlook on life – while pitting her against hunters from beyond the stars.

One morning, Cardiff just stops. The rain hangs in the sky, the traffic doesn’t move on its streets, the people are frozen like photographs.

Alien eyes have set their sights on our world and won’t leave until they’ve blood on their hands.

The Hub is in lockdown, only one member of the team free to move.

It’s time for Suzie Costello to save the world.

Also appearing in the story are Naomi McDonald as Alex and Nicholas Burns as the Referee.

Suzie's return will come a month after Tom Price takes on a starring role in Torchwood: Ghost Mission once again portraying Sergeant Andy.

'We brought Tom back for a little cameo in Series 1, and just couldn't resist the chance to bring him back properly,' says James. 'Tom Price is lovely, and threw himself into an adventure all of his own. He made an instant double act with Samuel Barnett, playing the enigmatic Norton Folgate, a Torchwood agent with his own agenda.'

You can pre-order both titles today, or subscribe to the whole of Series 2 at the special introductory rate of £45 on CD and £40 to download (this price being held through to March 31st 2016). Other Series 2 titles include Torchwood: The Victorian Age starring John Barrowman and Rowena Cooper and Torchwood: Zone 10 starring Naoko Mori. Two further titles will be announced at a later date.

Torchwood Series 1 is still available to order now – with a bundle of all six titles now available to order at an additional saving against buying individually. And remember, when you choose to buy this release on CD directly from Big Finish, you will also unlock instant access to a digital copy for download.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Torchwood back as Comic
      Wednesday, 13 April, 2016 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/04...omic-form.html

Titan Comics have announced that Doctor Who TV spinoff Torchwood is back, in an all-new ongoing comic series starring the daring Captain Jack Harkness and Gwen Cooper.

The series is written by Captain Jack himself – John Barrowman – and Carole E. Barrowman, and with issues illustrated by Antonio Fuso (Drive, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest) and Pasquale Qualano (Batman ’66, She Hulk, Harley Quinn).

In continuity with the new hit Torchwood audio dramas from Big Finish, as part of the official continuation of the Torchwood saga, the comic arrives in stores on July 6 – the week of Titan’s third annual Doctor Who Comics Day event – Saturday, July 9 2016.

The BAFTA-winning cult science-fiction drama by Doctor Who showrunner Russell T Davies, which aired for four successful seasons from 2006 to 2011, follows the exploits of Captain Jack, Gwen (Eve Myles - Broadchurch), and their team as they investigate the unusual, the strange, and the extraterrestrial.

The hotly anticipated Torchwood comic sees Captain Jack return to Cardiff to engage the help of the last person who expected to see him again, Gwen Cooper! A dark technology from a forgotten species has been claimed by a conspiratorial power… and in this collision between an ancient civilization and an all-new evil, the Earth itself may be forfeit! Only Jack, Gwen, and their allies from what remains of Torchwood hold the key to stopping a cataclysmic wave of destruction… On the road, on the run, and under fire – can Jack and Gwen put aside their differences and rebuild the heart of Torchwood… before its flame is stamped out forever?!

The debut issue comes with variant covers to collect from Doctor Who artists including Tommy Lee Edwards (Tenth Doctor, Turf), Elena Casagrande (Tenth Doctor, The X-Files), Blair Shedd (Ninth Doctor), and Rod Reis (Doctor Who, C.O.W.L.).

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Gareth Thomas 1945-2016
        Thursday, 14 April, 2016 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/04...1945-2016.html

Gareth Thomas has died at the age of 71.

Gareth Thomas played Ed Morgan in the 2006 Torchwood story Ghost Machine. He also appeared in a 2001 Big Finish production, Storm Warning.

However Thomas was best known for playing the eponymous hero of the 1970's science fiction series Blake's 7.

Thomas played Roj Blake, leader of a band of rebels, pitted against a corrupt federation in the series created by Doctor Who writer Terry Nation. The series ran on BBC One from 1978-1981, with Thomas taking the lead role for the first two series. When Thomas decided not to renew his contract for series 3, the character of Blake was killed off. The ghost of Blake was present throughout the remaining series and Thomas returned to the series twice, once at the end of series 3 and once for the climatic final episode, Blake.

Gareth Thomas was born in Wales in 1945. He trained at RADA and made his TV debut in a 1965 production of Romeo and Juliet.

A steady succession of TV roles followed, including parts in Coronation Street, Z-Cars, Harriet's Back in Town, Sutherland's Law, Edward VII, Jackanory and How Green Was My Valley where he played Rev. Gruffydd. In 1972 he was nominated for a BAFTA for his performance in the BBC Play for Today, Stocker's Copper. He played Adam Brake in the 1977 children's series Children of the Stones, and Shem in the ITV series Star Maidens.

Following his role as Blake, Thomas played Philip Denny in the 1983 version of A.J. Cronin's The Citadel and took the lead in the BBC One drama Morgan's Boy, about a Welsh hill farmer who finds himself looking after a teenage boy, a performance which won him his second BAFTA nomination.

He appeared in By the Sword Divided and Knights of God and had a regular role in the ITV series London's Burning. In 1998 he took on the role of Nathaniel Clegghorn in Heartbeat.

In 2012, Thomas returned to the role for which he was best known, playing Roj Blake in the Big Finish Production, Blake's 7: The Liberator Chronicles.

Gareth Thomas died Wednesday 13th April. He is survived by his wife Linda.

On a personal note I want to express my deep sadness at the passing away of Gareth Thomas. My condolences go out to his family and friends. He won't ever be forgotten.

Comment

Doctor Who and Torchwood audio dramas set to continue until 2025
          Big Finish have promised to make more audio dramas for at least another decade

By James Gill
          Friday 6 May 2016 at 10:00AM

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-...med-until-2025

Whatever happens in the next ten years of your life, you can be sure of one thing: the Doctor will always be by your side.

Yes, audio drama producers Big Finish have confirmed that they have won the rights to continue making Doctor Who and Torchwood dramas until 2025. That's a whole decade's worth of adventures in time and space to look forward to.

The producers made their first Who audio drama in 1999, and recently reunited David Tennant and Catherine Tate for new stories featuring the Tenth Doctor and Donna. The episodes will be released later this month.

Big Finish executive producer – and voice of the Daleks – Nicholas Briggs said he was delighted that Who would continue for many more years.

"Doctor Who is my favourite thing,” he said. “It’s been with me all my life in one form or another. So it’s truly delightful for me that the good old BBC has given us permission to carry on space-time travelling.”

Big Finish produces Doctor Who and Torchwood under licence from BBC Worldwide, and have created episodes featuring the first Ten Doctors and War Doctor John Hurt.

The current licencing deal has been extended until 30th June 2025.

Executive producer Jason Haigh-Ellery said, “Thanks to the faith placed in Big Finish by the BBC we can look forward to many years of story progression and real character development for the Doctors and their companions. We are excited about what the future holds and look forward to the next decade of adventures travelling in time and space.”

Comment

Doctor Who: Another Teaser from John Barrowman… About Captain Jack Harkness?
            by Leah Tedesco

https://doctorwhowatch.com/2016/05/0...jack-harkness/

The teasers and surprises just keep coming from Doctor Who and Torchwood star John Barrowman. Could we soon see Captain Jack Harkness return to television?

As the unofficial resident John Barrowman reporter, I am certainly being kept on my toes by him these days! In early March, he dropped a doozie of a teaser about something happening in relation to Torchwood. I waited patiently, poring over all of his Facebook videos for the reveal. Then, in mid April, it finally happened. The surprise was that he and his sister Carole were writing a Torchwood series for Titan Comics. Good news, indeed, but bittersweet. Things like comics and the Big Finish audio dramas are great, but I, along with countless other fans, have been pining for years to see Barrowman’s character Captain Jack Harkness return to the screen for some new adventures.

At that point, I figured that it was best not to hold my breath for such an appearance. While Barrowman has stated that it is “very silly” not to bring back Jack, he has also recently said that there are no plans to do so. Steven Moffat has talked about how bringing back characters like River Song and Jack Harkness requires very special events. While we recently saw River’s epic return in ‘The Husbands of River Song,’ the last time that we saw Jack grows ever more distant. I was resigned to him simply living on in print and audio form.

After that roller coaster of emotions, Barrowman was at it again on May 6th, stating that he will return to “Cardiff in about a week and a half, but [he’s] not telling [us] what for.”

Cardiff! They film Doctor Who in Cardiff! They will be filming the next Christmas special soon! Could they be bringing Jack back in a Christmas special like they did River? With Moffat having created the character, it would be a nice parting gift to fans as he steps down as showrunner.

Another glimmer of hope that we have recently been given is the bit of dialogue about him in ‘The Woman Who Lived.’
            Me: That’s why you can’t travel with me. Our perspectives are too vast. Too far away.

Doctor: You’re not the first, you know. I did travel with another immortal once. Captain Jack Harkness.

Me: Who?

Doctor: He’ll get round to you eventually.

The last time that we saw Jack on Doctor Who was in the two part episode ‘The End of Time,’ and on Torchwood, the episode ‘The Blood Line.’

Comment

Torchwood: talks afoot to bring it back to TV
              News
              Rob Leane

25 Jul 2016 - 08:23

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/torch...-it-back-to-tv

John Barrowman has a phone call today to talk about bringing Doctor Who's spin-off Torchwood back to TV....

San Diego Comic-Con 2016 unleashed a lot of new trailers for major comic book movies (see: the front page of this site), meaning that other bits of news threatened to sneak under the radar. One of these stories has come to our attention today: John Barrowman has teased that Torchwood could return to TV.

"I have a phone conversation on Monday to see how we can get it back on television," Zap2It has quoted Barrowman as saying. In a bid to convince everyone he was serious, Barrowman added, "The fans know me well enough, I’m only going to say it if I mean it and believe it."

And how can fans help? "If you really believe in Torchwood, get the comic [there's a Titan series based around the show out now]. Get this series going, it’s like a Kickstarter. If you buy the comic, you’ll show your support… we need Captain Jack back on the screens."

Indeed, Jack Harkness has been off the TV for quite a while. He last appeared in Doctor Who in David Tennant's 2010 swansong The End Of Time, while Torchwood: Miracle Day - the most recent series of the spin-off - ended in 2011. Since then, books and Big Finish audio dramas have kept Captain Jack and the Torchwood brand alive.

So, Barrowman is having a chat today about bringing back Torchwood in its original form, as a TV show. (That said, he doesn't specify with whom the chat will be. The BBC would obviously be more useful than say, his dentist.) With geek telly as huge as it is today, it's surely going to be given some serious thought.

We'll let you know as soon as we hear anything more.

Comment

Torchwood Comic Released Wednesday
                Saturday, 30 July, 2016 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/07...wednesday.html

Next Wednesday, 3rd August, sees the release of the first edition of the new Torchwood Comic from Titan.

The series is written by Captain Jack himself John Barrowman, along with his sister Carole Barrowman, and illustrated by Antonio Fuso (Drive, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest) and Pasquale Qualano (Batman ’66, She Hulk, Harley Quinn).

The debut issue comes with variant covers to collect from Doctor Who artists including Tommy Lee Edwards (Tenth Doctor, Turf), Elena Casagrande (Tenth Doctor, The X-Files), Blair Shedd (Ninth Doctor), and Rod Reis (Doctor Who, C.O.W.L.).

The new comics series will run in continuity with the new Torchwood audio dramas from Big Finish.

Captain Jack Harkness is back in Cardiff, and there's only one person he can turn to, the last person who expected to see him, Gwen Cooper! On the road, on the run, and under fire, can the pair put aside their differences and rebuild the heart of Torchwood, before its flame is stamped out forever?

Doctor Who News will release a review of the comic next Wednesday morning.
                Last edited by Alan; 31 July 2016, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Torchwood celebrates its 10th birthday with ambitious new audio play
                  You read that right: the
                  Doctor Who spin-off is a decade old

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-...new-audio-play

Comment

Torchwood return stalled by “certain egos” says John Barrowman
                    Five years since it last appeared on screen, the Doctor Who spin-off may not be coming back – but the former Captain Jack Harkness hasn’t given up hope

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-...john-barrowman

By Huw Fullerton
                    Friday 9 September 2016 at 11:35AM

While new Doctor Who spin-off Class is soon headed to BBC3, the status of original sister series Torchwood (last seen on air five years ago today in 2011's Miracle Day) isn’t looking rosy according to star John Barrowman.

The actor, who played roguish Time Agent Captain Jack Harkness in Doctor Who before starring in the Cardiff-set spin-off, recently revealed that he had a phone meeting scheduled to talk about bringing Torchwood back to TV – but he now says that the call didn’t quite bring about the outcome he was hoping for.

“I was told that there are some obstacles to overcome, and every time I tried to talk about a way around them, it was almost like there was another obstacle,” Barrowman told RadioTimes.com.

“And this is a personal thing for me, this is not anything that was discussed, but I find it really a little disheartening that a company like the BBC can’t just say ‘Put your egos aside, we’re gonna go forward with this.’

“I travel all over the world, and I see the popularity of Torchwood. But when it comes down that it’s not being done because of people’s egos, I find that really difficult.”

He concluded: “There’s a lot of politics involved, and the people that are close to it, I think would love to see it done, but there’s just certain egos in the path that are just standing in the way. That’s all I’ll say.”

Barrowman with series co-star Eve Myles in 2011's Torchwood: Miracle Day

However, despite the knockback Barrowman says that he hasn’t ruled out a return for Captain Jack Harkness and his team – even if it is ultimately a doomed mission.

“I never say never,” the actor told us.

“I think obstacles are things that you have to work through. And you know, if it is a never scenario, it doesn’t mean that I’m gonna stop trying, as will a lot of other people on my side.”

“My sister and I, we’ve been asked to write the new Torchwood, the comic book, because they’re trying to give us other things to do that we can do. We do the Big Finish audio plays and audio stories that come out. They all sell incredibly well worldwide.

“I just don’t understand then why someone very high up can’t say ‘This is gonna be done. I don’t care.’”

John Barrowman hosting the 2013 National Lottery Stars

For now, then, the status of Torchwood is under a big question mark – but at least its leading man won’t be left clicking his heels, with Barrowman currently starring in US superhero series Arrow and about to return to British TV screens for his sixth year presenting The National Lottery Stars (a yearly search for the UK's favourite lottery-funded good causes) to be aired next week.

“We try to make it a fun night, so it’s not so much of a critique or a critical type of evening,” Barrowman told RadioTimes.com. “With all the stories that are being told, with all the people that are being celebrated, everybody’s there for the same reason, and it’s just a massive celebration.

“The reason I come back every year is because I’m also amazed at how people come up with these ideas. I mean it’s just phenomenal. For instance, who would have thought that a bunch of people would get together on bikes and motorbikes to help deliver blood by themselves? That’s just an amazing thing to do.
                    He added: “If you want to see what great things the United Kingdom is doing on a human basis, where that lottery money is going, and to see what great people are living in your cities and neighbourhoods and the great things they’re doing, then tune in – because you will be truly inspired.”

John Barrowman presents The National Lottery Stars 2016 on Monday 12th September at 10.45pm on BBC1

Comment

Moffat: I'm not blocking Torchwood return
                      http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2016/09...od-return.html

Comment

Last edited by Alan; 22 October 2016, 12:04 PM.

Comment

The Torchwood Archive Trailer - Torchwood

Comment

John Barrowman poses with a Tardis as he teases mysterious "meetings at the BBC"
                            "Fingers crossed," says the former Doctor Who and Torchwood actor – could this be the start of a new adventure in space and time for Captain Jack Harkness?

By Radio Times staff
                            Wednesday 7 December 2016 at 4:01PM

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-12-07/john-barrowman-poses-with-a-tardis-as-he-teases-mysterious-meetings-at-the-bbc

That John Barrowman is one hell of a tease, isn't he? Not many people could get us so excited about run-of-the-mill actor meetings at the BBC. Then again, not many people would announce said meetings by posing in front of the Tardis...

The Doctor Who and Torchwood actor shared a picture of himself with his agent Gavin Barker, telling his followers that he was "going in for meetings at the BBC".

"Fingers crossed " he added cryptically.

Crossed for what?

And why would he choose to pose in front of the ultimate symbol of Doctor Who unless these 'meetings' had something to do with the future of Captain Jack Harkness?

app-facebook
                            John Barrowman Official
                            3 hours ago

Going in for meetings at the BBC with Gavin Barker Associates Fingers crossed JB

You only have to look at the Facebook comments under that photo to see just how excited this latest photo has made people.

But what could these meetings be about?

Well. Barrowman has made no secret of the fact that he is keen to see a TV return for Torchwood, especially since the recently released Big Finish audio dramas proved so popular with fans.

BBC3's Class has somewhat taken the place of Torchwood as the BBC's Who spin-off of choice, but that doesn't mean a Torchwood return is out of the question, with Barrowman's castmate Eve Myles also saying she would be up for a TV return for Gwen Cooper.

Alex Kingston too has said that River Song could find a place in the Torchwood revival, while Barrowman himself says he has a special contract in place that allows him to come back to Captain Jack "at the drop of a hat".

Then again, if not Torchwood, could this be a signal that Captain Jack could make an appearance in Doctor Who?

Barrowman has never appeared in an episode opposite Peter Capaldi, but with showrunner Steven Moffat coming to the end of his tenure, perhaps there is time for one more triumphant return – or, alternatively, a new start with next showrunner Chris Chibnall?

Whatever the meeting holds, Barrowman sure knows how to cause a commotion – and we wouldn't have it any other way.

Comment

New Audio Torchwood Series from Big Finish
                              Sunday, 07 May, 2017 - Reported by Marcus

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2017/05...-from-big.html

Big Finish
                              has announced that Torchwood will be back for a brand new series of audio adventures with Torchwood: Aliens Among Us...

The new series, revealed at the DWAS convention The Capitol II, will follow the events of Miracle Day, and will see the Torchwood team reunited. Captain Jack, Gwen and Rhys will be joined by new characters co-created and overseen by series creator Russell T Davies.

In this series, Captain Jack and Gwen Cooper have restarted Torchwood in Cardiff, home of the original Torchwood Three. But it's in a very different Cardiff. Something terrible's happened to the city. With every day getting darker, will Torchwood need to adopt a whole new approach?

Producer of Torchwood Season 5, James Goss, talked about the new Torchwood team and Russell T Davies’ involvement.
                              Russell's been wonderfully involved in the continuation of Torchwood. We came up with some characters and ideas and he very kindly, very politely said 'Marvellous, but no. Howabout...?'. And that's what lead to Jack and Gwen being joined by Mr Colchester (Paul Clayton), Ng (Alexandria Riley), Tyler (Jonny Green) and the enigmatic Orr (Sam Béart). Who are they? What part do they have to play in the future of Torchwood? And can they save Cardiff from an invasion that's already been lost?

This is an ambitious series for Big Finish - an entire season of Torchwood! There are some great scripts by some new writers, but there are also some familiar old faces - of course Rhys and Andy are in it, but there'll be a few other surprises, including an appearance by someone who just has to be, has to be dead...

This new series of Torchwood will be released in three boxsets, the first being out in August. Torchwood Series 5.2 will follow in October and 5.3 will complete the season in the new year.

Comment

James Marsters returns as Captain John to Torchwood!
                                By Cameron K McEwan on Wednesday 30 August 2017

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/ar...n-to-torchwood

Audio producers Big Finish have announced that actor James Marsters will be reprising his role as Captain John for a brand new Torchwood adventure alongside Captain Jack Harkness, as played by John Barrowman.

Marsters, also known for his role as Spike in TV shows Buffy and Angel, was last seen in the Torchwood Series 2 finale in 2008 and has returned to wreak havoc in the new release coming next year, The Death of Captain Jack. Producer James Goss comments:
                                The Death of Captain Jack is just naughty! It was a joy to get James Marsters back in, and, once again, Captain John romps through Torchwood like a demented clown.

If you've ever wondered what Torchwood would be like with Captain John at the helm, wonder no more. Nothing from the world of Torchwood emerges unspoiled – and that includes Queen Victoria, and Ianto's dress sense!”

Pre-order here and check out the details below:

The Death of Captain Jack

Captain Jack is finally dying, and it's time for his oldest friend to visit his deathbed. King John has come to tell him a story. The story of the life he should have had.

It's the story of Alexander the Great, sinking ships, falling empires, robot dinosaurs, and alien invasions. It's a story of love, royal weddings, murder, mass murder, genocide, and very tight trousers.

It's the story of the life of Captain John and it's the story of Torchwood. Be careful what you wish for.

James Marsters is joined by John Barrowman (Captain Jack Harkness), Gareth David-Lloyd (Ianto Jones), Kai Owen (Rhys Williams), Tom Price (Andy Davidson) and many more.

The Death of Captain Jack will be released in March 2018 – it is available for pre-order now on CD and download. Check out the Big Finish website here for Torchwood bundle deals.

Pre-order The Death of Captain Jack here

Comment

Working...
                                X