Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To the people who said Keller was too young.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes water helps with dehydration but if you are sitting in a hot heavy duty suit (sealed or not) when the ventilation system is not working you do sweat out what you put in. Also as she would already be considered as infectious until tests proved otherwise as no-one knew where the source was there is not point to a hazmat suit and as others have posted it isn't logical to for someone potentially infectious to wander around atlantis in a hazmat suit and if the suits were kept in the infirmary logic would dictate that they would probably be considered contaminated the second she put it on.

Comment

Originally posted by Kazzie View Post
      Yes water helps with dehydration but if you are sitting in a hot heavy duty suit (sealed or not) when the ventilation system is not working you do sweat out what you put in. Also as she would already be considered as infectious until tests proved otherwise as no-one knew where the source was there is not point to a hazmat suit and as others have posted it isn't logical to for someone potentially infectious to wander around atlantis in a hazmat suit and if the suits were kept in the infirmary logic would dictate that they would probably be considered contaminated the second she put it on.
      She's the CMO. She's the most important person in case of an outbreak. Hence, she should have worn a hazmat suit.

What if she was infected? Well, the suit would possibly protect others from her infection. This Atlantis, how often do you know beforehand that someone is carrying a deadly/high infectious disease before it's spread too far to tell? Whenever the quarantine lockdown procedure is put in place (or the city just warns of a quarantine-situation), all the doctors should immediately put on hazmat suits just in case.

I mean, there's no downside to it (besides in this case, in which dehydration is kinda a valid point). And there's a lot to gain from it if the doctors are all protected from the disease and hence allowed to treat the patients without falling ill themselves and leaving Atlantis with zero capable doctors.

Very few diseases are so potent they can spread simply by someone grabbing a hazmat suit and putting it on. And what if she was infected? The minute someone walked into the infirmary, they would be infected as well, hazmat suit or not (though the suit would probably limit the risk). On the plus side, if she isn't infected and there was a real outbreak, she'd be protected and not drop dead or something and voila, CMO in top notch condition to cure everyone. See the logic here?

Comment

Diseases are not just passed by physical contact but different means depending on the disease. Any surface itself can become contaminated. Therefore if you are already seen as infectious until tests prove otherwise just touching the suit, and I would suspect that she would have to touch a part of the exterior of the suit, that it would be considered contaminated.

As no-one knew where the source was on atlantis, then Keller and everyone on atlantis would be considered infectious and would all have to undergo tests to prove otherwise. In healthcare we use universal precautions - gloves, gown, mask, eyewear to protect ourselves and our patients.
        As Keller was unable to comunicate with others or access a computer she would have deemed everyone as infectious ( including herself) until it was otherwise confirmed.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
          She's the CMO. She's the most important person in case of an outbreak. Hence, she should have worn a hazmat suit.

What if she was infected? Well, the suit would possibly protect others from her infection. This Atlantis, how often do you know beforehand that someone is carrying a deadly/high infectious disease before it's spread too far to tell? Whenever the quarantine lockdown procedure is put in place (or the city just warns of a quarantine-situation), all the doctors should immediately put on hazmat suits just in case.

I mean, there's no downside to it (besides in this case, in which dehydration is kinda a valid point). And there's a lot to gain from it if the doctors are all protected from the disease and hence allowed to treat the patients without falling ill themselves and leaving Atlantis with zero capable doctors.

Very few diseases are so potent they can spread simply by someone grabbing a hazmat suit and putting it on. And what if she was infected? The minute someone walked into the infirmary, they would be infected as well, hazmat suit or not (though the suit would probably limit the risk). On the plus side, if she isn't infected and there was a real outbreak, she'd be protected and not drop dead or something and voila, CMO in top notch condition to cure everyone. See the logic here?
          Some very good points there. However It wouldn't be logical, as the docs would need to carry a hazmat suit around with them 26 hours a day. If the point of it is to be ready for infection at all times they would need to have one when they go to bed to the commisary the bathroom...??? Or they could position them every 5 feet throughout the entire city Just in case a doc is passing when lock down kicks in. Man that's a lot of suits.
          You can't assume that the docs will be in the infirmary at the time of the out break.

I can't believe this has caused such a debate! LOL The great debate of Hazmat storage!!!!!

Comment

She was in a room that as locked down because it was considered to be infected. She has to assume that she is infected. If there are hazmat suits in the infirmary, they are infected as well. Keller putting on an infected hazmat suit that has in no way been scrubbed clean is useless. The suit would become a means of spreading the disease.

Not if the suit she puts on comes from a room she believes to be infected, making her assume that the suit is infected as well. Furthermore, hazmat suits are designed to keep things out. Not keep the nasty stuff in.

We're talking about a science fiction show where we've seen some pretty damn fast acting diseases.
            I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Kazzie View Post
              Diseases are not just passed by physical contact but different means depending on the disease. Any surface itself can become contaminated. Therefore if you are already seen as infectious until tests prove otherwise just touching the suit, and I would suspect that she would have to touch a part of the exterior of the suit, that it would be considered contaminated.

As no-one knew where the source was on atlantis, then Keller and everyone on atlantis would be considered infectious and would all have to undergo tests to prove otherwise. In healthcare we use universal precautions - gloves, gown, mask, eyewear to protect ourselves and our patients.
              As Keller was unable to comunicate with others or access a computer she would have deemed everyone as infectious ( including herself) until it was otherwise confirmed.
              Then why have hazmat suits at all? I mean, in case of a quarantine, everyone is probably infected! Why protect anyone? Let's burn the suits now! They're only taking up storage space!

You know what the worst case scenario is if she is infected and she dons a suit (and the disease can be spread through her touching other people while wearing it)? She would've wasted a good 5-10 minutes putting it on! Woe is her!

If she isn't infected? She'd be protected against the disease and thus allowed to work her damnest to cure the sick people.

Originally posted by Emme View Post
              Some very good points there. However It wouldn't be logical, as the docs would need to carry a hazmat suit around with them 26 hours a day.
              No, but it would be logical to have them in the infirmary. There should always be doctors in there in case someone gets hurt/comes back sick from an unscheduled return trip. So storing some hazmat suits in the infirmary would be kinda, you know, logical.

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
              She was in a room that as locked down because it was considered to be infected. She has to assume that she is infected. If there are hazmat suits in the infirmary, they are infected as well. Keller putting on an infected hazmat suit that has in no way been scrubbed clean is useless. The suit would become a means of spreading the disease.
              Again, then why even have hazmat suits if everyone on base has to be considered infected? She didn't seem to think she was infected as she was ready to bust out of there (and possibly infect everyone else) and she was prepping the infirmary to treat the sick. Doesn't the quarantine lock down everything or was that just for this episode? I can't remember.

So just because you're in a room that was locked down doesn't mean you're infected. Let's see, people who were locked down somewhere and didn't even once think they were infected:
              Sam, Radek, Teyla, John, Katie

Not if the suit she puts on comes from a room she believes to be infected, making her assume that the suit is infected as well. Furthermore, hazmat suits are designed to keep things out. Not keep the nasty stuff in.
              Yeah, if she's in that same room, then she's just as infected as the suit. Woe is her if she puts it on and wastes a few minutes. However, best case scenario, she isn't infected and putting it on will protect her against infection from people coming into the infirmary.

Wasted 5-10 minutes vs. CMO that doesn't get infected by whatever caused the quarantine... hmmmmm...

Hazmat suits can contain diseases. It just has to be a special kind. The key point here is also that in no way does putting the hazmat suit on additionally put the well-being of either Jennifer or other people coming into the infirmary at risk while it very much might protect both parties.

Really, can you come up with any downside to Jennifer always having a hazmat suit ready at her workplace vs. the many, many upsides?

We're talking about a science fiction show where we've seen some pretty damn fast acting diseases.
              If we're going to assume that every disease spreads damn fast, then hazmat suits are useless. Gate them back to Earth and save up on storage space now.

In cases of emergency with real outbreaks, the key personnel should always put on hazmat suits "just to be safe". There aren't enough for everyone to put them on and putting them on only wastes a few minutes, while it protects the people inside of them "in case". John, Sam, Rodney, Radek, Lorne, Jennifer, those are the key people we need protected and not put down by the Space Flu.

If anyone's going to put on hazmat suits, it should be them. And since Jennifer spends a lot of her time in the infirmary for obvious reasons, there should always be one (or more for the other doctors) in there just in case.

And what was up with Jennifer being the only one in the infirmary in the middle of the day, anyway? What if there'd been an emergency? Where were the rest of the doctors, on vacation? Sleeping? Skipping out on their duties?

Comment

SierraGolf-OneNiner Quote:
                Originally Posted by Detox
                So you're telling us that if you were being chase by cannibals, and you injured your ankles. You wouldn't start crying?

Bull ****.
                If I would be in that situation unarmed I would get totally crazy for about 2 to 3 minutes. "Oh my god I'm so dead!" Over and over again but then I would pull myself together and start fighting back.

Let me share something from my past. I had a very bad time in school. I was the geek and so on. They came after me because they thought I was easy prey. After running away and crying and thinking I'm so dead for the 3 min I ran into a corner where I knew no one could attack me from behind. Then I took a piece of wood and waited for them. Man that was a fight. I wasn't the only one bleeding. Never underestimate the survival instinct of a human. I know those guys aren't cannibals but they were bad as hell anyway.

What Keller did was understandable for about 10 min of the episode Missing but no longer. She should have gotten her act together and fought back. Well she eventually did but it took her 40 min of the episode.

Man you guys can argue a point to the last breath!

Yes Keller is a “coward” when she is in a dangerous situation, BUT she holds her own after a while.

Yes she is to “young” to be a CMO of the infirmary, do that means Prodigy children can’t reach and hold jobs that demand experience just for the fact they are young? experience is something you obtain while doing such job so she is getting hers along with the reactions of been in a place so out of the reality she used to live.

She is a good Dr. the cases she has work on tell about it, the fact that she operate on EW after her accident and was successful of keeping her alive are testimony of that, what other methods she had, they were cut out from earth remember, she was put in that position out of emergency, from what I remember EW impose the charge into her in the last episode of season 3.

And I’m amaze that you had put up with Mckay for four years and don’t complain about his whining and mopping and stupid attitude in almost all of the seasons SGA has run.

Yes he is a “genius“, yes he is a scientist and yes he is a civilian, BUT he’s been doing the off world rutine for four years and still he can be a scary cat when he is in a situation he doesn’t like or when he's life is in danger, But he does the same, he rises to the occasion and can hold his own too…after all the whining and mopping.. so please give the gal a break till she gets it together.. or until TPTB “kill” Her off as it is their trade mark.

Me I been liking her a lot so she can be in for as many seasons they keep the show on.

And about the Hazmat Suits, they were lock in a room, does any body know if such room had such hazmat suit in the closet?

And the ventilation system was down so no chance of infection there and if for some reason she got infected they had the brilliant Mckay there to save the day.. thought he wasn’t fairing it to good himself, having his breakdown and everything…mmm:
                sigpic

Dare and Dream

Comment

And what was up with Jennifer being the only one in the infirmary in the middle of the day, anyway? What if there'd been an emergency? Where were the rest of the doctors, on vacation? Sleeping? Skipping out on their duties?
                  Don't you get it? to be stuck with Ronon, of course. Does she have another role than that? so now that you know that she is supposed to be a potential LI for Ronon, everything's clear :

- she was alone in the infirmary so that they end up stuck together during the episode,

- she didn't wear a Hazmat suit because hello? how do you expect her and Ronon to feel all cosy and to almost kiss, if she was as attractive as a worm in an apple, in that Hazmat suit?

A typical fanfic scenario. I see tons of them in the HP fandom where Hermione gets stuck in class with Draco Malfoy. Exactly the same scenario.

Comment

She wasn't the only one in the Infirmary. Watch that scene again and you'll see plenty of people walking around. However, it's just that, at the moment when Quarantine kicked in, it just so happened that Keller and Ronon were the only ones in the room.

Comment

it just so happened that Keller and Ronon were the only ones in the room.
                      How... convenient. As I said, that's the MO of any fangirl ficcer, for any fandom.

Comment

Originally posted by magie View Post
                        Don't you get it? to be stuck with Ronon, of course. Does she have another role than that? so now that you know that she is supposed to be a potential LI for Ronon, everything's clear :

- she was alone in the infirmary so that they end up stuck together during the episode,

- she didn't wear a Hazmat suit because hello? how do you expect her and Ronon to feel all cosy and to almost kiss, if she was as attractive as a worm in an apple, in that Hazmat suit?

A typical fanfic scenario. I see tons of them in the HP fandom where Hermione gets stuck in class with Draco Malfoy. Exactly the same scenario.
                        See, that's not good enough. You cannot explain away plotholes and illogical actions with "Because the writers wanted it so". The plotholes and illogical actions are still there. And they're still portraying her one way or another.

I mean, plot called for Kolya to be a cold-hearted killer but I guess he's really just a teddy bear who was portrayed the wrong way once or twice because plot called for it?

Comment

See, that's not good enough. You cannot explain away plotholes and illogical actions with "Because the writers wanted it so". The plotholes and illogical actions are still there. And they're still portraying her one way or another.

I mean, plot called for Kolya to be a cold-hearted killer but I guess he's really just a teddy bear who was portrayed the wrong way once or twice because plot called for it?
                          If you can't suspend your disbelief for something as trivial as this then I don't know how you can enjoy any TV at all. Scrutinize anything as hard as you are and you'll find plot holes, or at least plot holes by your definition.

Comment

Maybe it's all down to what a character's primary function is supposed to be. Kolya's sole function was to be a cold-hearted killer. If Keller's primary function is to be a cute, loveable young thing who has a romance with Ronon her secondary function as CMO might get pushed aside if it interferes with a plot focussed on her primary function. Characters acting according to plot isn't excusable, though, if it makes them inconsistent or even behave in stupid ways - eg. Sheppard not considering Lucius a possible security risk at the end of 'Irresponsible'.

Maybe questions about hazmat suits could have been avoided if the scriptwriter had mentioned them in passing. There was more than one opportunity to do so.

KELLER: Well, obviously there's a glitch in the programme. Problem is, without communications, he can't tell me how bad the outbreak is or give me the pass codes to open whichever doors are deemed safe.

and

KELLER: OK, look – I don't think we're gonna have any luck opening those doors on our own. We're probably just better off waiting for McKay and the others to figure out what needs to be done and which doors are even safe to open.

DEX: So we're just supposed to sit here and wait?

KELLER: Yes! And be ready at a moment's notice to treat the sick.

A few words on the lines of "What if I need a hazmat suit and can't get to one?" would have told us that she'd considered such a possibility.
                            sigpic

Comment

Plotholes are one thing, but things that are illogical in the show make the show far more "real". If everything were logical, we'd be watching a bunch of Vulcans walking around. Or, Asurans, if you want something from the SGA universe. Too much logic is boring.
                              I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Working...
                              X