Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of enemy you think we need to counteract our power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xSFx View Post
    Is it me, or does that sound like overpowered Geni?
    I thought the Geni were a boring race; the only credit they get is bringing Todd into the picture.
    I find them a thousand more times interesting. Writers can't rely on technowank to pull stories out of their holes to produce Genii stories, so they have to *think* and not rely on crazy nonsensical and incoherent technology.

Really, there are two things the writers and VFX dept get wrong:
    1. Inconsistent and convenient technology.
    2. Space battles which are a tad believable, with space weapons which do make sense.

Fortunately, both are not appliable to the Genii.
    The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

Really, there are two things the writers and VFX dept get wrong:
      1. Inconsistent and convenient technology.
      2. Space battles which are a tad believable, with space weapons which do make sense.
      I thought that the sky over Atlantis being lit up at night by Wraith fire hitting the shield and the "siege" atmosphere in the first seasons of the show was great.

Also, when they fire railguns ar night it looks awesome, reminds me of real war night-time footage from Irak, early 90's.

What can the Genii do, throw nukes or maybe use second hand ships like the Lucian Alliance did? Sorry I just don't think presenting backwards people as a serious threat would provide any interest once we've faced the Ori, Wraith, Asurans, Replicators, etc. in battle.
      sigpic
      Don't forget to vote up if you like my ideas. (me <-- attention whore )

Comment

Originally posted by !!?? View Post
        The wraith don't know the location of Atlantis. The 304s may be able to destroy the meteor and if it cant atlantis could destroy it. The 304s also have more technology that they could be equipped with. The phase device that allows them to switch between dimensions. They could jump into hyperspace if a ships is about to ram them. Plus i think there will be many more 304/305s soon. The wraith are almost gone. The only way i could see them becoming strong again is if they create more hives/cruisers. The upgraded Apollo/Daedalus could easily take out the hives/cruisers now that there isnt as much as a outnumbering problem. Even if they are destroyed Atlantis has withstood more than that.
        Ok without getting into any specific argument over the various ways in which the Wraith could have defeated Atlantis midway through the first season here, the point is there is a lot that the enemies could be doing that they aren't allowed to be doing.

Just by letting the enemies do the sort of things the SGC does, regularly asspulling new technology and problem solutions, or not letting the SGC do it so frequently,(the much better option) you've restored your balance.

Things like the super beams on the 304s should never have happened for example because not only do they screw up the balance but it's really unbelievable that Earth would have something that good, even if it is Asgard designed. Even the Asgard themselves never had anything that good and their stuff was mounted on actual Asgard ships, not weedly little human ones still full of all sorts of low end tech.

Now that they're here to balance them you'll need to let the enemies develop some sort of equally super shield/armor tech out of nowhere, which just introduces more over the top tech into the show. Either that or you destroy all 3 human ships and devestate most of North America so building more any time soon is going to be very difficult, or maybe Baal turns out to be some sort of messiah of better stories and goes back in time to undo most of the cheatcode nonsense in continuum.

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
        Oh, just about the same effect of having a whole hiveships approach a Wraith base on the ground at cruising speed, and deal pityful damage.
        Well it was the fraction of the size of a real hiveship, no surprise that it was made of kindling and paper mache as well.

I expected to see the hiveship enter the atmosphere at full acceleration, which at that point, since it came from the moon and wasn't caught by the other hive (???), would mean full throttle.
        The ship would be approaching the planet at a speed of, oh, well, easily many tens of thousand of kilometers per second. I'd expect seeing the whole ship to be engulfed in flames as it would torn the atmosphere apart, and hit the surface in an explosion that would look like the small cousin of the K-T impact.
        Indeed, the impact shown didn't even seem to actually damage the cloning facility more than superficially, given how it was supposed to extend for X many miles underground.

Well, it's not that easy. They're now responsible of the lives of local people now. Then there's Teyla, so you can be sure that one person's personnal quest is one more reason to stay in the galaxy and continue to go on.

It's a bit like the USA's situation in Iraq.
        You know I've tried for many years not to open that particular can of worms but suffice it to say yes, there are similarities.

You're not looking for the right show.
        No probably not. We can't even be sure how forces balance at all anymore after BAMSR and Spoils of War now.

Now we know that apparently no hiveships were lost at the Asuran homeworld, even that one that looks like it was engulfed by explosions didn't die. The reason we only saw 6 leaving with the fleet is because of the foreshadowing for the last minute ZPM heist in spoils apparently.

Ok so what, are the new mini hives supossed to be better than Auroras now? Is this the plan to balance the new uber beams, just nochalantly make the hives massively better than they ever were before with no explanation and contrary to previous canon? There's no denying that they certainly seemed like the better ships in that battle, now that they're evidently surviving drone strikes and blowing ancient battleships in half with what seemed like only moderate effort and taking no losses despite being the biggest most obvious targets.

Comment

hey anyone read stargate avalon (tv script series), these guys hav come up with a really kl enemy, they are called the carnak!! they are a lizard race, caperable of beating the ancients, weapons arnt as gd as drones, but there hyperdrives are more advanced the ancients themselves!! they are evil creatures who believe that any other race is weak and needs to b their slaves!!! read the series they are brilliantly written!

http://www.freewebs.com/stargateavalon/

Comment

So basically they're very smart and Goa'uld-ish Unas in hi-tech ships?
            sigpic
            Don't forget to vote up if you like my ideas. (me <-- attention whore )

Comment

The best way i could see it going would be todd gaining control of all the wraith and staying smart useing deception

whoever said the genii cant be a threat look at earth in the early days of SG-1
              have an advanced and more powerful race like say furlings that say we cant do certain things like the asgard did to the goa'uld
              example you cant nuke the crap out of the genii homeworld or even better have us try it but the genni com out with some crazzy plan and destroy one of our ships like we did to apophis
              or they have a lantian out post like the one on earth or an outpost of some other super race
              let them build a primitive ships based on wraith tech like the X 301

and there is probly alot of ways that i can't think of off the top of my head

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                Well it was the fraction of the size of a real hiveship, no surprise that it was made of kindling and paper mache as well.
                It's something that baffles me as well. It can't be budget, because you can use a hiveship model, you don't even need to make it take all the room onscreen, so you can cut the details.
                Adding flames and some reentry effect is most simple, and you don't have to render the scene seen from the ground, and bother with complete internal skeleton structure modeling, numerous explosion effects and even dust busting... which look like crap in the end anyway.

Seriously... what's wrong with speeds and big fireballs seen from afar?

They all want to make it big and better, and it becomes more nonsensical and even less convincing.

Indeed, the impact shown didn't even seem to actually damage the cloning facility more than superficially, given how it was supposed to extend for X many miles underground.
                No, you're wrong. They did destroy the whole base.
                Do not argue! Is that clear in your little head??

You know I've tried for many years not to open that particular can of worms but suffice it to say yes, there are similarities.
                This could be a good oportunity to actually adress that real life problem through some smart SF writing.

Ok so what, are the new mini hives supossed to be better than Auroras now? Is this the plan to balance the new uber beams, just nochalantly make the hives massively better than they ever were before with no explanation and contrary to previous canon? There's no denying that they certainly seemed like the better ships in that battle, now that they're evidently surviving drone strikes and blowing ancient battleships in half with what seemed like only moderate effort and taking no losses despite being the biggest most obvious targets.
                Canon is a foul word in their mouth. There's nothing such as consistency.
                If the hiveships have to be made stupidly weak, in the great tradition of Bermag- sorry, Mullizzi, then so be it.
                It's funny to see how Atlantis turns out to be much more like Voyager than DS9. A pity.
                The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

"Canon is a foul word in their mouth. There's nothing such as consistency.
                  If the hiveships have to be made stupidly weak, in the great tradition of Bermag- sorry, Mullizzi, then so be it.
                  It's funny to see how Atlantis turns out to be much more like Voyager than DS9. A pity."

There must be somethin controllingships to make their strengh chage at random-I blame the Ascended beings

Comment

Working...
                  X