This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flaw. Female Jaffa's

i was thinking how the female jaffa's gave birth as they have a symbiote wouldnt that stop them from being able to carry a child?

Wow, that's really strange. It's almost as if they're aliens or something.

Oh, wait...
    Jayne - Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. But these Reavers... last ten years they show up like the bogeyman from stories. Eating people alive? Where's that get fun?
    Kaylee - Shepherd Book said they was men who just reached the edge of space, saw a vasty nothingness, and went bibbledy over it.
    Jayne - Oh, hell, i've been to the edge. Just looked like... more space.
    - Serenity

Comment

Originally posted by TheReturnOfTheLantian View Post
      i was thinking how the female jaffa's gave birth as they have a symbiote wouldnt that stop them from being able to carry a child?
      not really, a symbiote doesn't take up much room, it can just move out of the way.
      Spoiler:
      Disclaimer:
      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
      Quotes!
      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
      sigpic

Comment

it is a plot hole in a way. we know from teal'c and bratac that symbiotes slow the aging, so how can a female carry a baby to term if her aging is slowed? isn't the fetus' aging also slowed?

for the longest time - at least until crossroads - it was presumed that only males carried the primta's. after all, teal'c says 'a symbiote is only as strong as the jaffa that carries it', and since they are patriarchial, it doesn't make sense to have a 'lowly' female carrying the snake

then with sho'nac, we could presume that it was only priestesses that maybe carried queens...but then drey'auc died from lack of a symbiote

it's a contradiction. there's no mention of the biology and it flies in the face of 'male dominant' society that the jaffa are

(and the 'can't carry a pregnancy to term with the snake in charge' that only applies to goa'uld, not jaffa)
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

well, the baby doesnt have a symbiote so he has a normal growing time. and the symbiote womb doesnt take much room and is far above the real womb

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
            it is a plot hole in a way. we know from teal'c and bratac that symbiotes slow the aging, so how can a female carry a baby to term if her aging is slowed? isn't the fetus' aging also slowed?

for the longest time - at least until crossroads - it was presumed that only males carried the primta's. after all, teal'c says 'a symbiote is only as strong as the jaffa that carries it', and since they are patriarchial, it doesn't make sense to have a 'lowly' female carrying the snake

then with sho'nac, we could presume that it was only priestesses that maybe carried queens...but then drey'auc died from lack of a symbiote

it's a contradiction. there's no mention of the biology and it flies in the face of 'male dominant' society that the jaffa are

(and the 'can't carry a pregnancy to term with the snake in charge' that only applies to goa'uld, not jaffa)
            Then you also have to add in what we saw with Shar'ire.

Comment

shau'ri was a goa'uld, not a jaffa. different rules

sigpic

Comment

What about the 12 year old Haktil girl who needed a symbiote as she was ready for implantation in that episode with Jolene Blalock(Thingy out of Enterprise)

Comment

growth is not the same as aging
                  Spoiler:
                  Disclaimer:
                  I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                  Quotes!
                  - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jnadreth View Post
                    What about the 12 year old Haktil girl who needed a symbiote as she was ready for implantation in that episode with Jolene Blalock(Thingy out of Enterprise)
                    that harkened back to Bloodlines and the 'ryac has to have a primta or he'll die'

back in cotg, teal'c wanted to make his people free from the goa'uld. and, in season one, went back to chulak to keep ryac from getting implanted, thus becoming a slave to the goa'uld. ryac then got sick and had to be implanted to save his life.

then, all of a sudden, a few years later, jaffa HAVE to have a snake at puberty or they die.

so, how did teal'c go from 'freeing my son' and wanting to keep him from being implanted, to it being a biological imperative?

Unless the writers forgot thier earlier canon when they created the plot device to make the episode work

as to pregnancy. a woman's immune system changes when she's preggers. because it has to be tweaked to NOT see the fetus as a foreign body and attack it.

however, the goa'uld symbiote IS a jaffa's immune system. So, even though jaffa and their snakes don't communicate, the snake has to consciously allow the pregnancy to proceed normally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
                      growth is not the same as aging
                      I recently read an interesting article. Apparently aging of the face, meaning wrinkles mostly I suppose, is only slightly caused by skin losing elasticity, and by muscle degradation. Most of the wrinkles are caused by the shifting of the bone structure underneath the skin due to growth of certain bones in the skull. The bones grow in such a way that they are unable to support the muscles attatched to them in the same way they could before. Combined with the now inelastic skin and weakened muscles, this shifting of the weight of the muscles slowly causes sagging and wrinkles.

They think they might be able to develop a new, safer, less scaring form of facelift with this information.

Uh, that wasn't offtopic at all.

Comment

Well I agree that the canon development of the need for Jaffa women carrying symbiotes is a bit sketchy, but I can't see why they couldn't. First of all, aging is due to DNA damage, for the most part. Symbiotes would be great at fixing that, heck, even lowly earth bacteria can do that, unfortunately we can't, we can only try to prevent it. Growth is a different process altogether, more akin to healing. So for all we know, a Jaffa pregnancy would be altogether perfect- no birth defects or illnesses. It would be in the best interests of the go'auld to have female Jaffa with symbiotes having babies- they'd live a long time and make lots of new warriors, and those warriors would be perfect when they're born.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
                          I recently read an interesting article. Apparently aging of the face, meaning wrinkles mostly I suppose, is only slightly caused by skin losing elasticity, and by muscle degradation. Most of the wrinkles are caused by the shifting of the bone structure underneath the skin due to growth of certain bones in the skull. The bones grow in such a way that they are unable to support the muscles attatched to them in the same way they could before. Combined with the now inelastic skin and weakened muscles, this shifting of the weight of the muscles slowly causes sagging and wrinkles.

They think they might be able to develop a new, safer, less scaring form of facelift with this information.

Uh, that wasn't offtopic at all.
                          ok, i can't actually tell if you are agreeing or disagreeing or what you are saying, but within context, i was not talking about looking older, i was talking about growing old and dying of old age eventually.
                          Spoiler:
                          Disclaimer:
                          Quotes!
                          sigpic

Comment

Most likely, the Goa'uld pounch simply shifts so it's resting against the womb. If all of the other organs can shift to allow for a larger uterus, the Goa'uld pouch should adjust as well. However, it makes you wounder if the baby in the womb and the larval Goa'uld can kick each other. That can't be good for the mother, though.

Comment

that harkened back to Bloodlines and the 'ryac has to have a primta or he'll die'

back in cotg, teal'c wanted to make his people free from the goa'uld. and, in season one, went back to chulak to keep ryac from getting implanted, thus becoming a slave to the goa'uld. ryac then got sick and had to be implanted to save his life.

then, all of a sudden, a few years later, jaffa HAVE to have a snake at puberty or they die.

so, how did teal'c go from 'freeing my son' and wanting to keep him from being implanted, to it being a biological imperative?

Unless the writers forgot thier earlier canon when they created the plot device to make the episode work

as to pregnancy. a woman's immune system changes when she's preggers. because it has to be tweaked to NOT see the fetus as a foreign body and attack it.

however, the goa'uld symbiote IS a jaffa's immune system. So, even though jaffa and their snakes don't communicate, the snake has to consciously allow the pregnancy to proceed normally
                              It's possible Teal'c didn't know that Jaffa's immune system breaks down at puberty. I mean how many times do you think he tried to stop a Jaffa from being implanted before that?
                              All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Working...
                              X