This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
    true however the team leader is a member of the USAF. if Teyla wants to be a part of Shep's team she has to do what he tells her (as was confirmed in SoW)
    Then you should watch Instinct again... where Teyla informs Ronon that sometimes they can decide not to follow his orders. Otherwise he would have been toast having Ellia feed on him or probably snap his neck.

I don't see them as a military team at all.

The way Carter responded to Sheppard telling her about Teyla, really felt like she couldn't care less. So, what does that tell you? That as the base commander she's only concerned for her own people? That she doesn't care about what's going among the civilians? That she feels it's none of her business in the first place (generally)? Or because she has no idea who Teyla is again... which I would find rather farfetched.
    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
      The way Carter responded to Sheppard telling her about Teyla, really felt like she couldn't care less. So, what does that tell you? That as the base commander she's only concerned for her own people? That she doesn't care about what's going among the civilians? That she feels it's none of her business in the first place (generally)? Or because she has no idea who Teyla is again... which I would find rather farfetched.
      I think Carter could prioritize well enough to not be diverted from the serious issues at hand.

Anyway, Sheppard had already taken the immediately necessary action.
      sigpic

Comment

Then you should watch Instinct again... where Teyla informs Ronon that sometimes they can decide not to follow his orders. Otherwise he would have been toast having Ellia feed on him or probably snap his neck.

do you see SG-1 as a military team? I do, even though only O'Neill and Carter (2 out of 4 people)/Mitchell and Carter (2 out of 5 people) were in the USAF. I honestly don't remember that scene in Instinct but since Teal'c, Daniel and Vala did a lot of stuff without asking for permission this would kinda be the same situation

sorry but I disagree. I saw a base commander that was truly surprised shen Shep told her. at the same time they're preparing for the attack on Asuras so she probably had a million things to think about, most of all Rodney's replicator machine (which is the next scene). I'm sure Carter concerned for everybody in Atlantis, not just the military
        sigpic
        The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

do you see SG-1 as a military team?
          Yes, I do... SGC was all about military and air force stuff. It breathed military. And there mission objectives was technology which could defend Earth. Military, not exploration, which did come into play, but secondary to the technology.

Comment

There is a lot to like about S4.

Favorite episode for repeatability: Travelers
            Favorite first time viewing: BAMSR
            Favorites for being well written and thought provoking: Adrift and Miller’s Crossing
            The only bad episode: Missing

Best thing about S4 is that we finally get to see more of serious Sheppard in command.

We always knew he was in command of the military and the leader of his team but he was rarely shown as actually in command. His lighter side was shown more. This season they have changed the focus to the serious and competent side of Sheppard. The smart-ass is still there, but, it is secondary.

Okay, this is stupid, but I love the simple commands. The commands that are looks and head movements or a couple words are great.

Examples from memory:
            Sheppard telling Ronon to get McKay moving back toward the jumper in Doppelganger.
            Sheppard telling Lorne to clear the gear-up room in SoW. Ronon pulling McKay out.
            Sheppard telling McKay to go on in the hive ship so he can talk to Teyla in Sow.
            Sheppard telling McKay to take the Seer’s hand in The Seer.
            Sheppard telling McKay to take the pills in TR.

I love the fact that McKay actually obeys commands immediately this season instead of sputtering or arguing (most of the time).

Looking forward to the rest of a great season.
            sigpic

Comment

Yes, I do... SGC was all about military and air force stuff. It breathed military. And there mission objectives was technology which could defend Earth. Military, not exploration, which did come into play, but secondary to the technology.
              Shep's team gets mission objectives in order to defend Atlantis too ie find the ZPM. also I think you're right about s1, maybe even s2 but after that it changed and by s3 the military aspect if Atlantis became much more important
              sigpic

Comment

Shep's team gets mission objectives in order to defend Atlantis too ie find the ZPM. also I think you're right about s1, maybe even s2 but after that it changed and by s3 the military aspect if Atlantis became much more important
                Really...never noticed it, but I'm almost at season 3 in my marathon. Will pay attention to it.

Anyways, it's something I truly hate about Atlantis...the military turn. I loved the civilian feel...well, with that being lost, and several other elements lost...and I'm seeing the last one lost too rather soon... I can move on and start watching Dr. Who season 3 (and 4) and get into the Sarah Conner Chronicles maybe.

Comment

Sheppard team is not the only team. The others are mostly military, like Lorne’s, with a scientist depending on the mission.

They are exploring like SG-1 and looking for ZPMs and Ancient technology much the same way SG-1 was looking for new technology. They are protecting Atlantis and Earth. Their missions are dangerous.

Atlantis teams would run under military rules. The leaders are military. I consider them military.
                  sigpic

Comment

Really...never noticed it, but I'm almost at season 3 in my marathon. Will pay attention to it.
                    it's just my opinion, you might not notice it because you see it differently

Anyways, it's something I truly hate about Atlantis...the military turn. I loved the civilian feel...well, with that being lost, and several other elements lost...
                    lol you know the civilian leadership's one thing that always bugged me about Atlantis because it really doesn't make any sense. I loved how the military aspect of SG-1 and I'm glad it's more important in s4

and I'm seeing the last one lost too rather soon...
                    you mean Teyla? if so I wouldn't worry too much, she'll be back in s5 and also s6 imo

I can move on and start watching Dr. Who season 3 (and 4) and get into the Sarah Conner Chronicles maybe.
                    that sounds like an interesting show, I might give it a go myself

Originally posted by blue-skyz View Post
                    Sheppard team is not the only team. The others are mostly military, like Lorne’s, with a scientist depending on the mission.

They are exploring like SG-1 and looking for ZPMs and Ancient technology much the same way SG-1 was looking for new technology. They are protecting Atlantis and Earth. Their missions are dangerous.

Atlantis teams would run under military rules. The leaders are military. I consider them military.
                    yes well said. however I understand Falcon Horus because originally the Atlantis expedition was supposed to be about peaceful exploration and learning about other species. this changed a lot during s2 and I'm glad it did because the military aspect truly improves the show imo
                    Last edited by Jumper_One; 13 January 2008, 03:23 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

yes well said. however I understand FalconHorus because originally the Atlantis expedition was supposed to be about peaceful exploration and learning about other species. this changed a lot during s2 and I'm glad it did because the military aspect truly improves the show imo
                      They may not have been meant to be military, but the first one was military (to Athos) and the danger after that would have dictated that even trading missions needed to be under military leadership.
                      sigpic

Comment

it's just my opinion, you might not notice it because you see it differently
                        Doesn't mean I can't still look for it. Watch it in a different light.

lol you know the civilian leadership's one thing that always bugged me about Atlantis because it really doesn't make any sense. I loved how the military aspect of SG-1 and I'm glad it's more important in s4
                        I figured it had something to do with the IOA and the fact that the expedition was first situated on Antarctica on which no military force can build or have a base, nor can any country lay claim on the lands.

you mean Teyla? if so I wouldn't worry too much, she'll be back in s5 and also s6 imo
                        With all do respect, I do worry.

that sounds like an interesting show, I might give it a go myself
                        SUMMER GLAU!!! ... I think that's the sole reason why I want to watch it.

Comment

They may not have been meant to be military, but the first one was military (to Athos) and the danger after that would have dictated that even trading missions needed to be under military leadership.
                          true. I'm just saying that the military aspect became much more throughout the seasons

Doesn't mean I can't still look for it. Watch it in a different light.
                          yup

I figured it had something to do with the IOA and the fact that the expedition was first situated on Antarctica on which no military force can build or have a base, nor can any country lay claim on the lands.
                          ok that's a good explanation but still doesn't make any sense imo. I'd never send a whole expedition full of civilians under no military command to uncharted territory. I guess this is where reality ends and the show starts

With all do respect, I do worry.
                          alright you worry and I don't

SUMMER GLAU!!! ... I think that's the sole reason why I want to watch it.
                          it's certainly one of them
                          sigpic

Comment

I would consider SG1 to be military (at least pre s9). Two military officers, an alien, plus a civilian who was attached to the USAF and being paid by them, therefore being obliged to at least follow the intent of their laws, if not the letter. Daniel was in much the same situation as s6 McKay.

Atlantis on the other hand has civilian personel from various countries, who are not attached to the USAF. Hence the need for a civilian leader (regardless of who is in command of the mission, someone should be responsible for them). Teyla and Ronan are technically guests. They would certainly not be getting paid by the AF, at least not in the traditional sense. Although they don't have to follow the chain of command, if they were being insubordinate they would be booted off the team and surely Atlantis. They believe being in Atlantis helps their causes, so while they don't HAVE to strictly adhere to all our rules and customs, they do it by choice.

What was my point? Oh yes. SG1 = military, SGA-1=murky, SGA2-25=prob military
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gateraid View Post
                              I would consider SG1 to be military (at least pre s9). Two military officers, an alien, plus a civilian who was attached to the USAF and being paid by them, therefore being obliged to at least follow the intent of their laws, if not the letter. Daniel was in much the same situation as s6 McKay.

Atlantis on the other hand has civilian personel from various countries, who are not attached to the USAF. Hence the need for a civilian leader (regardless of who is in command of the mission, someone should be responsible for them). Teyla and Ronan are technically guests. They would certainly not be getting paid by the AF, at least not in the traditional sense. Although they don't have to follow the chain of command, if they were being insubordinate they would be booted off the team and surely Atlantis. They believe being in Atlantis helps their causes, so while they don't HAVE to strictly adhere to all our rules and customs, they do it by choice.

What was my point? Oh yes. SG1 = military, SGA-1=murky, SGA2-25=prob military
                              McKay is not military, but on Sheppard’s team he is under Sheppard’s command.

Teyla and Ronon have to have agreed to the rules followed by members of the teams. So, it’s the military’s way or the highway. They do have to follow the chain of command. They have to obey Sheppard. (I know, Sheppard is flexible if the situation changes.)
                              sigpic

Comment

McKay is not military, but on Sheppard’s team he is under Sheppard’s command.

Teyla and Ronon have to have agreed to the rules followed by members of the teams. So, it’s the military’s way or the highway. They do have to follow the chain of command. They have to obey Sheppard. (I know, Sheppard is flexible if the situation changes.)
                                It may not sound like it, but I actually do agree with you re Teyla and Ronan, just that the consequences are different for them because they are non-earthlings (IDK, alien sounded weird too). For them, as you put it, it is literally the highway.

McKay is somewhat unique compared to the other scientists, as it has already been established that he is attached to the USAF (and paid by them). He would have to follow their rules, as any employee would. IDK if this is the case with the others, as they are an international group not associated with the military.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X