Close but no cigar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HyperspaceDaemon View Post
    It would be nicer to have a fully powered Atlantis and never see again the typical "oops. the zpm is again depleted exactly during an attack. we need a new one *now*. from where shall we steal the new one this time? "

Ok: probably the team should not have an unlimited supply of ZPMs. But it would be nice if they found a ZPM recharging satellite that can recharge a ZPM using solar energy that would allow reviving one ZPM per season. (recharging can be imagined as being a time-consuming operation....).
    It would make sense if they learned how to recharge one even if it was very time consuming. After all, there has to be a limit to how many operational ZPMs are still left in the Pegasus galaxy. What will they do when they've found and drained the very last one?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
      Agreed. I don't mind space battles but I don't want us buliding Starfleet.
      Why do so many forum users express this concern about SGA not becoming too similar to StarTrek ? Stargate has always been a distinct show, so it's really not necessary to be afraid of StarTrek .

Comment

Why do so many forum users express this concern about SGA not becoming too similar to StarTrek ? Stargate has always been a distinct show, so it's really not necessary to be afraid of StarTrek .
        Mainly because alot don't want it to become solely ship based. So far even with the ships we have they have found a ballance, we just don't want the ballance to shift.
        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Mainly because alot don't want it to become solely ship based. So far even with the ships we have they have found a ballance, we just don't want the ballance to shift.
          I see your point but i don't think that the size of SGA team's fleet is something that can really hurt the show. The ships are required because the other races in the show are using them heavily .

On the other hand, some people like me are unhappy because there are too few episodes focused on imagining technologies/devices. It's irritating to see that most devices and ships they find are typically destroyed in order to provide the happy ending of the very same episode.

The mission of the SGA team is supposed to be finding the Ancients' lost city , discovering its wonders , exploring it and try to learn as much as possible from what the Ancients have left behind. The show is getting more and more far away from this . And it's irritating that the Ancients database and technologies are left somewhere in the background and the action is centered around fighting against (and destroying) enemies that are thousands of years more advanced - enemies against which the humans would normally have no chances .

Comment

I see your point but i don't think that the size of SGA team's fleet is something that can really hurt the show. The ships are required because the other races in the show are using them heavily .
            If our fleet doesnt have more than 3-4 ships then I agree. We have seen that they can ballance ship battles and travel with still having the gate the main means of transport. If we suddenly have like 30 ships then it's a problem.

On the other hand, some people like me are unhappy because there are too few episodes focused on imagining technologies/devices. It's irritating to see that most devices and ships they find are typically destroyed in order to provide the happy ending of the very same episode.
            I'm the opposite. I'd prefer us not getting a huge advantage and still being heavily outgunned and outnumbered.

The mission of the SGA team is supposed to be finding the Ancients' lost city , discovering its wonders , exploring it and try to learn as much as possible from what the Ancients have left behind. The show is getting more and more far away from this . And it's irritating that the Ancients database and technologies are left somewhere in the background and the action is centered around fighting against (and destroying) enemies that are thousands of years more advanced - enemies against which the humans would normally have no chances .
            I disagree. WE still are exploring Atlantis and Pegasus and the show is still as good if not better than it was in season 1.

Comment

You know there is no reason for us to belive that the zpms were distroyed in the explosion. If wraith technology is like ancient technology then the zpms would of been in a console of some sort holding, protecting, and extracting power. This console would be in a heavely protected chamber probably underground in the mountain. It is perfectly logical to asume that perhapes the zpms survived and are waiting on that planet for the apollo to do a flyby and be beamed aboard in a future episode.

Comment

If our fleet doesnt have more than 3-4 ships then I agree. We have seen that they can ballance ship battles and travel with still having the gate the main means of transport. If we suddenly have like 30 ships then it's a problem.
                Sure : it would be very strange and impossible to give a logical explanation if Earth would suddenly have 30 or 100 ships.

But keeping 2-3 alien built ships (instead of crashing them ASAP) wouldn't increase the fleet to 30 , though.

(quote)
                (/quote)

I'm the opposite. I'd prefer us not getting a huge advantage and still being heavily outgunned and outnumbered.
                In what way keeping in use some of the found devices would provide unacceptable advantages to the team ?

Following your principle : in SG1 they should have never had any of those Goa'uld devices (the hand device and the healing device) . And they should have never used Zats. Alien devices bring too great advantages - boo !

I disagree. WE still are exploring Atlantis and Pegasus and the show is still as good if not better than it was in season 1.
                By "explore Atlantis" i mean episodes like "The Tao of Rodney" and "The Game", which are rare. I've enjoyed those two episodes a lot because we've seen some new Lantean technologies at work . And "The Game" has been very realistic : that episode has shown exactly what can happen when encountering technologies that are so advanced that the team doesn't even guess at first the true nature and purpose of those devices really were.

Comment

Sure : it would be very strange and impossible to give a logical explanation if Earth would suddenly have 30 or 100 ships.

But keeping 2-3 alien built ships (instead of crashing them ASAP) wouldn't increase the fleet to 30 , though.
                  True which is why I said 3-4 ships wouldn't be an issue. However having a few hive ships would not be practical since only one person on our team can fly it.

In what way keeping in use some of the found devices would provide unacceptable advantages to the team ?

Following your principle : in SG1 they should have never had any of those Goa'uld devices (the hand device and the healing device) . And they should have never used Zats. Alien devices bring too great advantages - boo !
                  You misunderstand. I didn't say we shouldn't make advances from alien tech. Nor did I say we shouldn't use alien tech. I pointed out that it doesnt make sense to have a few hive ships with only one person being able to fly it. We use Wraith stunners and Atlantian weapons which I have no problem with nor do I have issue with keeping one Wraith ship but it would be unrealistic if we have a Wraith ship and all of a sudden know exactly how to use it.

By "explore Atlantis" i mean episodes like "The Tao of Rodney" and "The Game", which are rare. I've enjoyed those two episodes a lot because we've seen some new Lantean technologies at work . And "The Game" has been very realistic : that episode has shown exactly what can happen when encountering technologies that are so advanced that the team doesn't even guess at first the true nature and purpose of those devices really were.
                  I see your point and I love episodes that deal with finding more about Atlantis and would love seeing more of that but the lack of that this season hasnt hurt the show IMO.

Comment

True which is why I said 3-4 ships wouldn't be an issue. However having a few hive ships would not be practical since only one person on our team can fly it.
                    Let's not get stuck in discussing what happened to the last hive in particular. That is only the most recent example. What I am unhappy about is the typical treatment the alien ships get in SGA .

You misunderstand. I didn't say we shouldn't make advances from alien tech. Nor did I say we shouldn't use alien tech. I pointed out that it doesnt make sense to have a few hive ships with only one person being able to fly it. We use Wraith stunners and Atlantian weapons which I have no problem with nor do I have issue with keeping one Wraith ship but it would be unrealistic if we have a Wraith ship and all of a sudden know exactly how to use it.
                    Ok, I see.

Also, I didn't even think that everybody should be "innoculated with the Wraith gene" in order to pilot Wraith ships. Actually, the fact that only Teyla can pilot hives at the moment should please those whose are concerned that having one tiny,shiny,functional hive ship would bring too much power .

From my of view each alien technology/device/ship adds a little bit of spice to the show. So there is no such thing as "non-useful alien ship" .

I see your point and I love episodes that deal with finding more about Atlantis and would love seeing more of that but the lack of that this season hasnt hurt the show IMO.
                    Sure, there is still time.
                    And the last 2 episodes have added interesting new mysteries. All I hope is that the show will be more focused on interaction+diplomacy+shrewdness rather than annihilation of the other races : i'd be extremely disappointed if the SGA team ever manages to destroy the Wraith. Such an episode would be my last one to watch .

Comment

Originally posted by chestnu1 View Post
                      You know there is no reason for us to belive that the zpms were distroyed in the explosion. If wraith technology is like ancient technology then the zpms would of been in a console of some sort holding, protecting, and extracting power. This console would be in a heavely protected chamber probably underground in the mountain. It is perfectly logical to asume that perhapes the zpms survived and are waiting on that planet for the apollo to do a flyby and be beamed aboard in a future episode.
                      I agree. It's also possible that the Wraith had time to salvage at least some of the ZPMs as they were given some sort of advanced warning (which is what I've been suspecting) before getting to safety themselves (through darts, beaming tech that takes them to a more secure part of the facility, etc). Which they could then use to power a cloning facility that they build elsewhere. In either case this may have only been a set back for them, but eventually they may use this to become more powerful and Atlantis may have another shot at those ZPMs.

Comment

Well if we find another more powerful enemy in the next season, as some people on the boards have speculated, then it's possible we could recover the ZPMs. Then again, we might not even need them, since we have all the Asgard knowledge. That race never had a problem with power generation(check here), so it could very well be that the tech we saw in BAMSR is just the tip of the iceberg as far as shipboard technology is concerned.

How this may affect shields could change. Remember, Ancient shields do not buckle as long as there's a steady stream of energy. But hooking up an Asgard power generator to an Ancient shield device may cause problems we haven't seen yet.
                        It's a dangerous business going out your front door.
                        --J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

Working...
                        X