This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Book Lounge Thread

I'm curious about people's reading habits around here.

Me, I'm a reader of epic proportions. Sort of. If I'm not reading I'm probably either working or sleeping. Or being on-line with all of you.

Any good books you've read that you care to share with everybody? Favorite authors? Any particular lines that made you weep, laugh or just generally swept the rug out from under you in ways you never would have imagined?
    Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Harry Potter series, J.K. Rowling
    Lord of the Rings, J.R.R. Tolkien
    C.J. Cherrhy books (I think that's how you spell her name....)
    Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card (highly recomened)

I think that's it. If I think of any more, I'll post them. I love these books; especially Ender's Game. Has anyone else read it?

My Own Little World

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    101 Ways to Annoy, Harass, Confuse or Generally Scare Lord Voldemort
    "Be nice to nerds;
    one day, you'll end up working for one."
    -Evil Overlord Bill Gates
    Ba'al: I'll never let go, Jack, I'll never let go!
    Jack: *choke* That's my throat, Ba'al.....

Comment

Dune Chronicles by Frank Herbert

Anything by Isaac Asimov
      "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

It's about Douglas Adams.

Comment

Thursday Next books by Jasper Fforde. Imagines an alternate world in 1984 where literature is a heck of a lot more important- with its own police force and everything- and where you can walk into and out of books and interact with the characters. Very wry stuff, lots of erudite humor, bust still enough for the groundlings to uderstand.

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis. One of my favorites. Time travel, mistaken identity, Shakespearean comedy, Victorian romance, lots of fun elements... to say nothing of the dog. And the cat. And the Bishop's Birdstump. Connie Willis (the author) is hit or miss with me. Also loved Bellewether and Doomsday Book (a serious tale of the Plague which came as a bit of a shock after her fluffier things), but I hated Passage and Lincoln's Dreams. *shrug*

Terry Pratchett, of course.

Comment

Jules Verne, 100 Percent.
            That's my choice.
            sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

Charles de Lint is by far, my fave author
              C.J. Cherryh (Foreigner series is good but i like her Merchanter universe too)
              Robert Heinlein
              Tad Williams (Memory, Thorn and Sorrow series...not that otherworld tripe)

and if you want pretty pictures to go with your good writing....
              Watchmen - DC Comics Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons
              Thanks!
              Jordan

my page
              My LJ
              From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

Hey, I liked the Otherworld series. I liked the Memory, Thorn & Sorrow books, too.

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. Haven't been keen on some of his other books, but I liked that one.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                  Hey, I liked the Otherworld series. I liked the Memory, Thorn & Sorrow books, too.

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. Haven't been keen on some of his other books, but I liked that one.

OOO....snow crash....forgot all about that.....excellent book.....really got me primed for his other stuff which was really disappointing....lol....cryptonomicon was not bad for a parallel story book....
                  Thanks!
                  Jordan

my page
                  My LJ
                  From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis. One of my favorites. Time travel, mistaken identity, Shakespearean comedy, Victorian romance, lots of fun elements... to say nothing of the dog. And the cat. And the Bishop's Birdstump.
                    Shadow, the premise of this sounded so intriguing (time travel and Shakespeare, hmmm ) that I went and read the first chapter on amazon just now. It looked really good, thanks for the tip!

Terry Pratchett, of course.
                    Oooh, and Terry Pratchett - must start reading his books. Any time now. Yes.

<looks over at pile of books currently waiting to be read>
                    Shin ~ def. A device for finding furniture in the dark.

Comment

the chronical of narnia C.S. lewis
                      anything by J.R.R.Tolkien
                      earth sea Ursala leguien(sp) sifi is making this into a series but it looks like they mesed it up.
                      -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
                      GS/CS/CC>D?S++:+A----C++++U?P?L+!EW++(+)N-O?K?W---O?
                      M+@V?PS+PE--YPGP!T!5!XR+>TV++B+++(++)DI+D-GE-H!R---Y?
                      ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
                      geekcode

Comment

Watchers by Dean Koontz (HIGHLY recommended)
                        Jrating: Like having your brains smashed out by a solid 'Kick Ass' shaped brick
                        Apocalypse watch by Robert Ludlum (Oldschool neo-nazy spy novel)
                        Jrating: Mach Four on a two-wheeled tricyle!
                        Hmmm...ANYTHING by Douglas Adams Can I have 'HELL YA'?

Loads of miscellaneous old pulpy scifi novels you find in the discards bin at the library...
                        [email protected]
                        http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
                        One nation under dog
                        There of which I stand alone
                        A face in the crowd
                        Unsung, against the mold
                        Without a doubt
                        Singled out
                        The only way I know

Comment

Oooooh! You've GOT to read The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb. I loved it!
                          "Someday, men will look back and say I gave birth to the twentieth century." - Jack the Ripper

Comment

Kevin J. Anderson has a great new series out called "The Saga of the Seven Suns" the first three are out now and the rest are forth comming. This is an awesome series with really well developed races and characters as well as action. If you like very well explored alien races then this is a great series, but it is also an awesome series for any sci fi reader.

James Rollins is another great author. He's got several books out that are great action books with a sci fi twist. Check him out!

If you want straight non-stop action then check out any of Mathew Reilly's books. Each novel is like ten action movies in one. Non stop action with great heros and loads of cool weapons, some real and some not quite yet real.

Comment

Originally posted by spg_1983
                              If you want straight non-stop action then check out any of Mathew Reilly's books. Each novel is like ten action movies in one. Non stop action with great heros and loads of cool weapons, some real and some not quite yet real.
                              Love the Reilly books. Not a terribly deep author, but wow on the action! I also read Contest- same author, but not about Scarecrow. Not as good, but still interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X