No announcement yet.

Australian Con's 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome report Chev 7...now all we need is the pictures!!
    Glad you had fun...I think for me Teryl was the highlight...I'm still smiling from that day...in spite of my god awful days at work yesterday and today!!...I'm ready to quit but hubby says I can't...bummer!!
    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
    ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Originally posted by chelle db View Post
      Awesome report Chev 7...now all we need is the pictures!!
      Ask and ye shall receive...

Photos are online here

Enjoy...
      If you'd like to know what Aussie conventions are like, check out my website and the older one too.

Comment

Originally posted by pfalcon64 View Post

Photos are online here

Enjoy...
        great photos, thank you
        "victimsofninjasayidsaywhat?"
        "what?"
        *throat punch*
        My blog: kathysnumber1blog.blogspot.com
        LVI now open to all fandoms!!! http://lostvideo.net/

Comment

Photos are online here
          Enjoy...
          Oh you are an angel...but you already knew that didn't you!! Thank you angel!!!! Yay!!!
          Hug Your Loved Ones!!
          ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

Actually...I don't think that was even bought up...I highly doubt they will have Dr Fraiser back but I'd have to say that if given the chance, Teryl would jump at it for sure!...and being sci fi...who knows!!!
            A pity. But are right, sci fi can do it.

sigpic

Comment

Damn! I am so cut I missed out! Was planning on going to Supanova...then completely forgot about it! Devastated! Thanks for all the comments though and photos!!!
              sigpic

Comment

sorry this took so long people, i haven't been feeling very well

(any spelling mistakes are my fault)

FRIDAY 4/4

I got to Brisbane at around 12:30pm met up with Michelle and had lunch. It wasn't till about 2:30pm when we got to the hotel, and I FINALLY dropped off my duffle bag. After a quick shower, we headed off to the city to pick up Michelles ticket and off to AoT! Half way up the street Michelle asked where the snack bag was; Ben forgot it and we had to go back. In the elevator down I ran through my check list: keys, phone, ticket. Ben recalled his ticket was still in the hotel, so back we went! Finally, with everything in tow, we set out to the city.

It turned out it was Bens first time in a train, and just like Jonas's first time in a goa'uld mother ship, he was quite happy. Unfortunately he wasn't holding onto anything when the train started, and he almost knocked me down! But we got to the venue ok and asked a number of people where we were supposed to line up for AoT. We met a nice guy called Daniel, who was also looking forward to the film. After being told the anime movie and AoT were being screened in the same room, we were annoyed, but we went in anyway and got a seat near enough to the front. In front of us sat Dirty Bandana Boy, a young bloke wearing jeans, a shirt and a bandana around his forehead. He also had a very loud girl with him, we assumed she was his girl friend. After sitting through the introduction, and an odd speech by Spike Spencer, we were informed the AoT screening WOULD be held in the Supanpva seminar room(not the JB HI-FI seminar room as advertised), so we ran there to get good seats.

As it were, we got pretty good seats in the room, but had to endure a very boring Q&A with two comic artists. Eventually that ended and we were excited for AoT, finally! Then, sadly, one of the convention runners took the mic and instructed as to leave. Turns out they were going to play the X-Files 2 trailer and had to take all recording devices from people before they can see it. So we had to leave our third row seats and stand outside in the dark in a very long line. Luckily we saw Daniel, who allowed us into the line with him. We talked about about season nine and ten, and finally got into the crowded room. I hid my phone in Bens bag, along with his while, Michelle handed hers in. To get it back at the end of the night, she was given a raffle ticket and had the corresponding number written in permanent marker on her hand, the number 28 was still on her hand three days later! We got what was most probably the last four seats in the room, right at the back behind all the tall people. We decided that, if the picture was too small, or the sound too low, we'd leave and see it on Ben’s laptop in HD. They had a few techinical glitches, including not playing it at the correct aspect ratio and without subtitles, but they played the movie and the sound was great, and the picture not too small.

After the movie we trotted back to the city to walk Michelle home, and then Ben and I almost got lost walking back.
                "what?"
                *throat punch*

Comment

SATURDAY 5/4

(again, any spelling mistakes are my fault)

Saturday morning started off with blinding pain in my legs and feet. Only then did I remember the large hills we had traversed the previous evening. Boy I wish I'd packed more comfortable shoes. Nonetheless we showered, coffee'd and off we went to MacDonalds breakfast... oh and we met up with Michelle . We arrived at the arena at 9:45am and were almost at the end of the line when we were told it was the wrong line, and had to go up another hill and wait in line. (They decided to change the lines after last year) We had a look at the cosplayers in the line, and got a replacement arm band for Ben coz his was already disintegrating, and then at 10:15am we were in the con! First up, AoT! Not only did we get the DVD but a free poster! Not wanting to wait three seconds, I grabbed three copies of it from underneath some guys arm.

From there we purchased our photos and autographs. I was overcharged, but the cashier was very nice and extremely apologetic and refunded me the overcharge. While loitering around the JB HiFi stall Ben noticed the photos were taking place around the back, so he ducked around and saw Teryl!! We ran to the back and waited kind of patiently for our turn. Ben was first, and she commented on his hair and outfit, and they joked while waiting for the photographer to be ready. She took her high heels off for Michelles photograph, and we saw Teryl is almost the same height as her! Then came my turn. Not only was I having a bad pimple break out, but a bad hair day. Lucky Teryl helped by grooming me, and my second photo was much better than the first

The first q&a for the con, and it was Teryls turn. She was very bubbly and energetic (although she said she was shy as a little girl!), she sat on a mans lap and even put her face between a womans breasts like RDA once did to her! While she was playing Heimdal for an ep (to get the motion capture correct) she had to wear a total black suit with the Asgard face on her chest. Directly on her chest. During the filming RDA and CJ kept patting the head of the alien and rubbing its face, which was of course directly over her breasts. DSD even made a crack, saying something like "Well darlin' now I look you in the eye without feeling guitly" Finally at the end of the shoot RDA approached her and said he loved Heimy so much he couldn't contain himself, and he placed his face between her breasts.

She mentioned that she was disappointed the Cassie storyline wasn't properly tied up, and she revealed the killed Janet off because they believed it was the end of the series and wanted to kill someone the audience loved. Makes me wonder what would have happened if they knew about season 8 before they wrote Heroes. She answered my question about the relationship between she and Teal'c, and she said she didn't notice anything with that 'ship, but once she and MS found out about all the DanJan shippers they began to put little moments into the eps to get the flames a flying. On the topic of pranks on set, she mentioned once she was preparing for a scene by running on the spot waiting for action to be called so she could run onto set. As soon as it was called she went to run in but found she couldn't move; CJ was holding the back of her lab coat! She talked about how she and Amanda are great friends, and once on set she was going to ATs trailer for lunch but got her stethoscope caught in the metal grating of the steps. So when AT opened the door she got direct vision down the front of TRs top as she tried to wriggle out of the grating.

After lunch in town it was time for JKLs talk. Friends of mine, Joe and Linda, were leaving the room so we got their seats. I can't remember much of his talk, but he mentioned there was a 2 minute tape the editors made of Masi Oka getting punched in the face continuously, that he is very competitive with video games especially Wii tennis, that he thinks Andos catch phrase should be "How you doin'?" ala Joey from Friends, and a woman from France sent him some provocative pictures via email, and he didn't even know how she get the address!

After this was autograph/photograph time. Ben talked with Teryl about his outfit and hair more so, and I talked with her about my hair length and my plans for recolouring it. Jewels q&a was actually pretty good, she seems more open in front of a crowed. She talked about kissing DH and SM, and how both males are great kissers and that SM always smells really good. She asked how many ppl had seen season four, and when a large number said they had she was like "Ahhh I know what you're doing. Don't worry, I wont tell anyone. I do that with Lost". She's a big Lost fan, saying that if she ever met Matthew Fox she's most probably puke on him. She talked about SG, saying "Summer needs to eat a cheeseburger".

We trotted around a little more, and noted that all the t-shirts at the con were incredibly large, is that a comment on the nature of scifi/anime fans? The Teyla and Vala figurine look like men while the Rodney one looks like he has a broken neck. The most normal looking one was the wraith! Ben and I bought a ST badge each and we all entered the Vortex comp to win tickets to DHs con in November. Sonny remembered Ben and myself.

We arrived at the hotel earlier than expected, and after dinner Ben had a fight with wireless internet connections. The internert won, 1001:0. Gottard, AsstMgrPrn and Alert!!WormVirus@22 were particularly difficult opponents. Internet Hotspots 1-5 didn't seem to be internet hotspots. Jimojo seems to have at least 4 internet connections, why? unknown. We spent an hour rearranging the furniture on the balcony. Michelle decided to stay the night on the couch, figuring it was way to late to walk into the city.
                  "what?"
                  *throat punch*

Comment

SUNDAY 6/5

(any spellin mistakes are my fault)

We arrived at five to ten and we were almost at the door when we saw Daniel, so we let him join us. The line was much shorter this time, and we got in around the same time. Ben and myself bought Michelle a Teryl autograph and we spoke to Dan Z(the guy who runs the Supanova) about the competition for a signed AoT script we'd been hearing about. Turns out we had to write out names on the back of the tickets to enter, which we hadn't, so he looked through all the tickets until he found ours and let us enter. We had more of a walk around, and I spoke to an independent film maker about ways to get around filming permits while Ben got a DW painting.

We talked to Teryl and got the autograph, and she remembered me and called Ben "red", and then by his name when reiterating her fondness for his hair and style. We gave her, her Aussie nickname, Tezza, and shorter version, Tez and she loved it. More walking, and I bought my Clockwork Robot figurine from DW, and then outside for pizza and drinks. While sitting we mentioned he hadn't seen DBB for a while, and then he and his girl friend showed up again!

To get good seats for Teryls 2nd talk we saw Michael Winslows, which was kind of funny. For Teryls speech Ben asked a question about working on Eureka, and upon seeing who asked the question she said "Hey Red!". She said she liked working with the people, forgot CFs name, and said she really enjoyed working with JM. She asked the con virgins to raise their hands, and if they had questions she went to them personally. She recalled she needed multiple pairs of shoes and a ramp to work with RDA and CJ, and one of her favourite episodes to work on was Urgo. She liked to go off world but was laughed at the first time by AT because she was wearing all green clothing, a green hat and a green back pack, and she was told she looked like a turtle, hense her nick name. She is a very big Patrick Stewart fan, and she met him once on a movie set, but she was so nervous she didn't look him in the eyes the entire time. The second time they met they were at a con and she was much more calm (on the outside at least) and when she said goodbye he kissed her on the lips! She waited until she was out of earshot before going crazy.

Ben bought a ST showbag and a clock and almost stole a Klingon flag. Got good seats for Jewels 2nd talk, but she didn't come. I went to my World Building Workshop which was GREAT, but there was a creepy guy there and the talk went over time. During the four hours Ben and Michelle went to the cosplay competition and went to look for a Prior figurine for a cosplay idea but didn't find any. They failed at the skill tester, but almost won the toad but the claw wasn't strong enough. They wondered around and saw Dan Z and reminded him about the AoT comp. Since no one else was waiting around for the draw we figured it would be fair to give it to either Michelle or Ben, since they cared enough to wait, but instead he made Michelle pick out the winner! It took 3 trys to get someone! Which weren’t us! Not cool. They also saw the Vortex people, who were surprised and sad that none of us won. They eventually left to have dinner, and on their way back to central station from the hotel they got a bit turned around. When entering the rail station Michelle mentioned DBB, and then a couple of moments later they saw him! Ben was so shocked he pointed and shrieked at him. They thought they were going to be late picking me up, and they were worried, but they got there with plenty of time to spare to sit around and chat to the red shirts (the people who work at the show grounds), who were scheming to unplug the mic’s because they wanted to go home, but couldn’t until it was over.

Well that's it. After that I had dinner and back to the hotel. The next day we parted ways and I headed back 'cross the border. Is this really over? Was this a dream? Yes, it is over, but of course it wasn't a dream you silly nilly! I have the proof, three autographs and photographs, plus a clockwork robot thankyouverymuch

I hope you all enjoyed reading this as I did writing it
                    "what?"
                    *throat punch*

Comment

The youtube thing. She kept going on about how technologically stupid she is. She seemed very surprised that there was anything about here on youtube. And she told a story about someones phone... I can't recall whom. Someone on the set of White Noise 2? Not Nathan Fillion, someone else.
                      It was definatey Nathan Fillion she was talking about who had the phone - Nathan is a huge gaget man - you should see how excited he gets about his iPhone LOL (WN2 was filmed in 05 I think, so was before he got his iPhone)

Comment

Is anyone going to see Chris Judge in Melb in a couple of weeks? I'm "THIS" close to deciding to go, but it's just so darn expensive by the time you buy the ticket, but an auto/photo, pay for fuel, and I'll have to stay in Melb overnight because I'll miss the last train back to where I live..... so..... still not sure, am worried I'll regret it later if I didn't take the opportunity, especially if it ends up being his only trip to Oz

Comment

I believe most of the Melbourne people on the forum here will be attending (scroll back on this and a couple of other threads). Certainly I'll be there doing the Official Photos as usual. As I understand it, the organiser is quite happy with booking levels.

Oh, and its actually Chris' THIRD visit to Australia so far. the previous ones were in Sydney many years ago (the first in the late 90s, the second was in early 2002, as he was able to talk about Michael Shank's leaving for Season 6). Unfortunately its that long ago my own photos aren't online any more - but anyone who prods me may get to see some on the night...

If you are after cheap accommodation, look at www.wotif.com for a start, and just find something in the CBD, so you are only a walk away from the venue.
                          If you'd like to know what Aussie conventions are like, check out my website and the older one too.

Comment

Originally posted by rosey_angel View Post
                            She is a very big Patrick Stewart fan, and she met him once on a movie set, but she was so nervous she didn't look him in the eyes the entire time. The second time they met they were at a con and she was much more calm (on the outside at least) and when she said goodbye he kissed her on the lips! She waited until she was out of earshot before going crazy.
                            That was awesome Rosey!! I'm glad you had a great time...and I love how Teryl is a fan of PS too...and how she behaved...see...they are like us more than they may like to admit!!!
                            Originally posted by Tal View Post
                            Is anyone going to see Chris Judge in Melb in a couple of weeks? I'm "THIS" close to deciding to go, but it's just so darn expensive by the time you buy the ticket, but an auto/photo, pay for fuel, and I'll have to stay in Melb overnight because I'll miss the last train back to where I live..... so..... still not sure, am worried I'll regret it later if I didn't take the opportunity, especially if it ends up being his only trip to Oz
                            I'll be there!!! If you do come...let me know and we can meet up...I'm going VIP so we'll have to arrange a meeting point...or wear GW badges or something!!!
                            I believe most of the Melbourne people on the forum here will be attending (scroll back on this and a couple of other threads). Certainly I'll be there doing the Official Photos as usual. As I understand it, the organiser is quite happy with booking levels.
                            Oh, and its actually Chris' THIRD visit to Australia so far. the previous ones were in Sydney many years ago (the first in the late 90s, the second was in early 2002, as he was able to talk about Michael Shank's leaving for Season 6). Unfortunately its that long ago my own photos aren't online any more - but anyone who prods me may get to see some on the night...
                            If you are after cheap accommodation, look at www.wotif.com for a start, and just find something in the CBD, so you are only a walk away from the venue.
                            I won't have to stay in town this time...but I'll see you there!!! I'm act5ually quite excited now...woohoo!!!
                            Hug Your Loved Ones!!
                            ~Amanda Tapping

Comment

That was awesome Rosey!! I'm glad you had a great time...and I love how Teryl is a fan of PS too...and how she behaved...see...they are like us more than they may like to admit!!!
                              OMG she was so funny, bouncing around the stage. it was as if she was remembering that moment

i wish i was going to see CJ, i wanted to but i have no where near enough money this year
                              "what?"
                              *throat punch*

Comment

I'll be there!!! If you do come...let me know and we can meet up...I'm going VIP so we'll have to arrange a meeting point...or wear GW badges or something!!!
                                Ok - I'm going! Just booked - wish I could have gone VIP tho - this is going to be one expensive trip just to see ONE guest - by the time I add transport (I live in regional vic) and an auto or two and photo op and possibly accommodation - might be able to stay with my bro in Pakenham

Comment

Working...
                                X