Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Australian Con's 2008

*is soooo glad she got her VIP ticket to Chris Judge*

Quote Originally Posted by Willow'sCat View Post
    Bill from Armageddon Cons/Expo has confirmed that David Hewlett (Dr Rodney McKay) will be attending (commitments pending of course) the November Expo in Aust in 2008!

Bill hasn't officially announced it on his site, I am thinking it is too far out yet and he has the May Con to put together first, and there is nothing on this from David Hewlett's site either, but I asked Bill directly in the forums at his site and this was his answer.

"At this stage, David Hewlett will be attending the Oct/Nov events, so rest easy."

*squee*
    That is fantastic news!!!! I'm going to be heading over for that, so that's really cool!

I just found out that Jewel has been made a regular on Stargate Atlantis.... but unfortunately that means that she is cancelling her Melbourne and Brisbane Supanova appearances

Airman

I'm waiting for the stuff happening in May. To start with they have one one website that there will be a couple of Gate guests. And the rumours about who else is coming are huge.

I did see a site announcing David for November in Brisbane. I'll try to find it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pronto View Post
    I'm waiting for the stuff happening in May. To start with they have one one website that there will be a couple of Gate guests. And the rumours about who else is coming are huge.

I did see a site announcing David for November in Brisbane. I'll try to find it again.
    He is going to appear at the Conquest Con in Brisbane in Nov as well... or I hope it is as well as Armageddon's.

Linky: http://www.vortexevents.com/

Not sure where this leaves New Zealand though, I thought David might be appearing at the one of the Cons there too.

Airman

He is going to appear at the Conquest Con in Brisbane in Nov as well... or I hope it is as well as Armageddon's.

Not sure where this leaves New Zealand though, I thought David might be appearing at the one of the Cons there too.
    That's it. Vortes events. I knew I had seen it.

Yeah, he is doing NZ, Melbourne then Brisvegas.

Smile Re: Australian Con's 2008

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda Beckett View Post
    It's not fair! Why can't they ever do any of these in Adelaide? I suppose I could possibly get to Melbourne, we have some friends there that we visit occasionally, I hope I can end up going.
    ~AB
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent_Dark View Post
    I think you just answered your own question
    Have you ever actually given a non-smart arse response to anything on GW? I have yet to read one.
    haha, you're from adelaide aren't ya? [/QUOTE
    ]
    ...to know AD means you have to understand his idiosyncrasies!...and that alone is far beyond most peoples comprehension...just roll with it AB...AD is quite unique...but we still love him...most some of the time!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt.Col.Errandboy View Post
    At least Adelaide is closer than Perth - but I still went to Armageddon Melbourne in October last year - hell, I'll travel to ANY part of Australia, even the frakking Back of Bourke, to meet Joe Flanigan!!!
    Hey Dana...you coming over for David Hewlett...I'll have some room at my place by the time that rolls around!!!
    Bill from Armageddon Cons/Expo has confirmed that David Hewlett (Dr Rodney McKay) will be attending (commitments pending of course) the November Expo in Aust in 2008!
    Bill hasn't officially announced it on his site, I am thinking it is too far out yet and he has the May Con to put together first, and there is nothing on this from David Hewlett's site either, but I asked Bill directly in the forums at his site and this was his answer.
    "At this stage, David Hewlett will be attending the Oct/Nov events, so rest easy."
    *squee*
    I was just about to announce that...I'm going to remain hopeful that David makes it out in November...fingers crossed that nothing pops up and he has to cancel!!
    Pity about Jewel canceling her visit...but I'm happy for her becoming a regular on SGA...maybe she can come out later in the year instead!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SmileyGidget View Post
    *is soooo glad she got her VIP ticket to Chris Judge*
    Me too!!! ...It's gonna be so much fun...Tom is coming too...as per my promise to him 2 years ago!!
    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
    ~Amanda Tapping

haha, you're from adelaide aren't ya?
    No I am from Tasmania, and I await your hilarious comment to that.

Quote Originally Posted by starfirephoenix View Post
    I just found out that Jewel has been made a regular on Stargate Atlantis.... but unfortunately that means that she is cancelling her Melbourne and Brisbane Supanova appearances
    Ah its depressing…I was looking forward to meeting her

No I am from Tasmania, and I await your hilarious comment to that.
    Oh no!! You are a glutton for punishment!!
    We took the kids to Tassie back in January...sorry but it just didn't do much for me...apart from the fact that I was crook for most of the trip, the best place we went to was Bruny Island...we're going back there one day for an extended stay!!
    It would be good if you could pop up for an event sometime soon!!
    Where bout's in Taz are you??...if you don't mind me asking?
    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
    ~Amanda Tapping

So two days after I find out that I'm not able to make it to BrisNova anymore, Jewel is back on again for Melbourne and Brisbane Supanova, and so is Teryl too!

Happy for you Melbourne and Brisbane people, not so happy for myself lol

Here's the updated info for the upcoming conventions in Australia...

http://cultureshockexpo.com//index.php

http://supanova.com.au/

So we have Teryl and Jewel for Supanova in Melbourne and Brisbane and an extra guest, Gary Graham, with Chris Judge in Melbourne and Sydney!!
    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
    ~Amanda Tapping

Just for those who are also interested in more casual meetings of Sci-Fi fans (and live in Sydney), there are monthly meetings of the 'Friends Of Science Fiction' group at Bankstown Sports Club.

March's meeting is this Sunday, March 9th (tomorrow) from 9am until 6pm.
    Bankstown Sports Club is on Greenfield Avenue, Bankstown.

It's an enjoyable day - I go along every month to catch up with friends and see a few shows that I wouldn't be bothered seeing otherwise! And I think they're still showing the backend of S3 Atlantis, so that's something to mosey along to!

Incidentally, if this isn't the place to post these announcements, then I'm sorry.

For the curious, FSF is affiliated with Armageddon events, and they were the ones who brought Torri Higginsen and Rainbow Sun Franks out to Sydney in 2005 and Rachel Luttrell, David Nykl, and Tony Amendola in 2006. Both events were awesome, and it was off those cons that I started coming to meetings and making friends with other local sci-fi fans.

Sel.

Quote Originally Posted by seldear View Post
    Just for those who are also interested in more casual meetings of Sci-Fi fans (and live in Sydney), there are monthly meetings of the 'Friends Of Science Fiction' group at Bankstown Sports Club.
    March's meeting is this Sunday, March 9th (tomorrow) from 9am until 6pm.
    Bankstown Sports Club is on Greenfield Avenue, Bankstown.
    It's an enjoyable day - I go along every month to catch up with friends and see a few shows that I wouldn't be bothered seeing otherwise! And I think they're still showing the backend of S3 Atlantis, so that's something to mosey along to!
    Incidentally, if this isn't the place to post these announcements, then I'm sorry.
    For the curious, FSF is affiliated with Armageddon events, and they were the ones who brought Torri Higginsen and Rainbow Sun Franks out to Sydney in 2005 and Rachel Luttrell, David Nykl, and Tony Amendola in 2006. Both events were awesome, and it was off those cons that I started coming to meetings and making friends with other local sci-fi fans.

Sel.
    That's awesome Sel...I wish I could go along to those meetings but I'm in Melbourne...must ask the boys if they have one of those things down here...if you ever make it to Melbourne for an event, please PM me or email me and we could meet up...if you like...I volunteered at Armageddon last year and met Rachel, David and Tony when they came out.
    I missed out on meeting Torri and Rainbow...maybe next time!
    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
    ~Amanda Tapping

So I'm thinking this should be a good place to place this little run down of my experience at my first ever Supanova event...I'm still trying to consolidate the days events...all I can say is that I am so glad that I got the day off work and was able to attend.

Supanova: Melbourne 2008

Ok! So here it goes...bear with me...I'm not that good at this...even though this is my 3rd time.

Niki and I just got home from Supanova in Melbourne and we had a great time!
    Of course the highlight for us was meeting Teryl and Jewel who are both deliciously lovely in RL as they are on screen...and Teryl...OMG...the woman is just the best!!
    Let me try to get this right from the beginning!
    We got to the event nice and early in the cold wet weather that we have been so blessed to have down here in Melbourne, only to find that because we had pre purchased our tickets, we were right near the front of the line…so we kinda got all excited about that.
    Then when we finally got in, we headed straight to the autograph and photograph table and pre purchased our photo and auto op tickets….we were third in line…so that was cool too. We also met some pretty awesome nice people while waiting in line…even some old friends like Locky, Smiley and Sarah!!
    So while we just stood there in line waiting…and waiting…and waiting…and waiting, for Teryl and Jewel to arrive, we just chatted to a few other patrons. Then in came John Rhys Davies…and although I do know he was on Indiana Jones, I really wasn’t there to meet him but I said hello and shook his hand anyway…he was lovely! Then Teryl and Jewel arrived…and I got really excited. It was like…”OMG, Teryl’s here…OMGOMGOMG!!!” So I got myself together and went over to Jewel and introduced Niki and me then shook her hand. She was so sweet. A lot taller than I thought she’d be! So we chatted for about a minute at the autograph table…can’t remember what about but she was really lovely!
    Then we moved over to Teryl. Man…she is wicked…and I mean…WICKED!!!
    Again I introduced Niki and myself and we started chatting…and somehow the subject of being wacky came up and I said…”that’s ok, I’m wacky too…it’s normal to be wacky”…she was like…”wow...me too!”. So she signed her picture with…
    “To Chelle, my fellow wacko, Teryl Rothery”
    I just about squee’ed the house down!! So I asked Teryl if the session she was doing at 11.30 was a Q&A and she said she believed it was and I kinda told her that I had a question I was itching to ask her…so I asked her to yell out to me when she was off to the Q&A and she said she’d see me there!!
    So off to the photograph line we choofed…again first in line!! I’m telling you, normally we’re the last in line or the last to arrive…but today it all went like clockwork…even better!
    Teryl came over and we had our photo taken with her. As I was trying to spread the word about Sanctuary, I asked her if she could wear my Sanctuary hat in the photo to which she graciously accepted! So more chatter and fun and frivolity in the photo booth was had.
    Then we had our photo op with Jewel and I asked her about the recent interview with Amanda Tapping where she called her a spottie and I said to her…”You’re a spottie now too”…she was like…”Oh thank you so much”…yep…it was cool!
    So Niki and I headed over to the Teryl Q&A only to find it had already started!
    We sat down near the front…I think it was the third row if I recall correctly!
    I couldn’t wait to ask her my question so as soon as the opportunity arose, I stuck up my hand and believe it or not, Teryl recognized me and called me by my name…which was totally awesome!! I was so tickled pink…she was like…”Chelle has a question”…oh man it was cool!
    So my first question to her was actually two in one.
    I’ll try to recall what I said and what Teryl said as best as I can…so bear with me!
    (Chelle): I have a two part question for you. One, can you do an Australian accent without sounding like a New Zealander? (got a few laughs from that one for some strange reason) and when you were in Vancouver last year you sang a song to a guy named Rick…you sang Big Spender…
    (to which Teryl looked a little surprised)
    (Teryl): What? You saw that? How did you see that?
    (Chelle): It’s on you tube
    (Teryl): It is? Really? It’s on you tube? (Teryl says a few other things about how surprised she is that the Vancouver thing is on you tube)
    (Chelle): Yeah. I just wanted to know, when you were setting up the song, you said something to the guy out that back that it was for a guy…did you have something set up in case it was a girl?
    (Teryl): The Vancouver convention was with Creation Entertainment and I did some cabaret work with them and they set up 4 songs that I could use so that’s how that came about…
    (Teryl): I’m not sure if I can do Australian accent…(Teryl tries to do an Aussie accent but fails miserably…even with help from the audience!)
    (Chelle): Was there ever a scene in any episode where you were laughing so much that it was difficult to film afterwards?
    (Teryl): Yes…you remember that episode from the future…
    (Chelle and friends): 2010
    (Teryl): Yeah that one…there was this scene where I was supposed to be talking to this alien guy named…???
    (Chelle and friends again): Mollem…also known as Melon!!
    (Teryl): Mollem…and he was supposed to be in front of me then move away to his next shot in the scene and I was supposed to keep looking straight ahead but I ended up looking straight at him so I was like “arghh…ugh…(Teryl continues to demonstrate her frustration at stuffing up the scene with grunts and the like)…and they wouldn’t yell “cut” so I started giggling a little and it gradually gets worse and Michael Shanks is still doing his lines and looking at me and then Amanda starts to laugh too…and I wet my pants…I really did!!!
    We were in stitches…of course this is roughly how the conversation went…please don’t quote me word for word…but it was pretty much like this and we just cracked up laughing so much…she’s such a cracker!!
    Then another member of the audience asked if she would like to work on Sanctuary…and Nik and I just cheered and screamed like the fangirls we are….and Teryl said she would love to work on Sanctuary…yay!!!
    Someone also asked why she was cut from the show…and Teryl did her best to tell us how and why it happened…I still think it was a huge mistake to kill off Janet Fraiser.
    The Q&A was brilliant…Teryl let a magic word slip and it was hilarious how she tried to cover it up. So much more happened...I really can't remember it all very clearly...I hope some others who were there and who might happen to read this will be able to add to this.
    I hope that there will be a dvd of the session coz it is so worth watching…absolutely fantastic!
    After the Q&A ended we headed back to the main pavilion and had another look around at the goodies there. I ended up buying Firefly and Serenity and the last 2 Harry Potter dvd’s.
    Then we headed back over to the autograph table where we once again met up with J, Locky, Sarah and Jodie. After saying our goodbyes we quickly dashed over to Teryl and thanked her for coming out and asked that she return again to Melbourne and said our final goodbyes. I really, really hope she comes back and does a smaller event with just her fans…she really is incredible.
    It’s funny coz I can see a lot of me in Teryl…we’re both quite out there and we love our coffee!!!
    I can't wait to meet Chris in April...that's just gonna be brilliant!
    Overall, Supanova was great...certainly not the same as Armageddon but I really don't like to compare the two...I had a great time and would go again given the right guests. The venue was great and easy to park...can't speak much about the food as we really didn't have much there...hot chocolate was nice...it really was quite good there...I'm now setting my sights on Armageddon in November...woohoo...bring it on!!!

John Rhys Davies:

Teryl and Jewel arrive for the first round of autographs:

Teryl at the Q&A:

Niki and Teryl:

Niki and Jewel:

Teryl and me:

Jewel and me:

My autographed pic of Teryl:

Niki:

The two of us!!!:
    Last edited by Chelle DB; March 29th, 2008 at 02:40 AM.
    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
    ~Amanda Tapping

Lets see what I can add... Since I was sitting right behind you!
    Well a few seats over, but literally the row behind you. I just find that so surreal to realize afterwards that it was indeed you... yet we never met, haha.

Anyway, here is what I remember in random order of whatever I remember first.

Teryl borrowed some tissues from a woman near the back because she said her nose was running and kept promising she'd give the packet back, and eventually did.

Near the end of the Q&A people came in to see Michael Winslow whom was next. Teryl went right up the back of the room and greeted them, asking if they had questions, then making jokes about how they don't even know who she is because they're here for the next person

The youtube thing. She kept going on about how technologically stupid she is. She seemed very surprised that there was anything about here on youtube. And she told a story about someones phone... I can't recall whom. Someone on the set of White Noise 2? Not Nathan Fillion, someone else. Anyway, she was telling a story about how surprised she was that his phone could access the internet. Actually, now I remember, this story stemmed from a different question someone asked about funny things happening behind the scenes of White Noise 2. She couldn't recall anything funny that happened, but ended up telling that story that details how anti-technological she is

She also told a story about Chris Judge taping her to a chair with duct tape because she was ignoring him all day since he was snappy at her that morning. The incident then delayed shooting of the next scene because they had to literally cut her out of the chair and redo makeup etc.

When she let that magic word slip, she was standing like a foot away from a woman holding a small child Thats when she went ranting about a swear jar on set where they put $2 coins in whenever they swore when a child was on set. And Peter Deluise was the worst offender. Which reminds me of something else, she told a story about the episode Urgo. She bit into the inside of her cheek in that scene where Dom Deluise was making funny noises in her ear and such and she wasn't meant to be able to hear him, but it was really hard to keep a straight face. Then this lead on to talking about Peter and Dom's relationship on set. Instead of yelling "ACTION!" like usual he would kindly say "Ok, Dad. Whenever your ready." and it shocked everyone else on set, she thought it was sweet.

She also mentioned a movie she did called Threshold, and mentioned how bad of a movie it was. The kind that you don't want to put on your resume. She talked about one of the other actors in the movie who was now working on a Canadian TV series that she is also now in and how he does great work.

When Rob Cooper called her to tell her they were killing her off, she was upset and jokingly suggested they kill off Hammond instead. Then she felt bad and called Don to tell him what happened and apologize for suggesting they kill him off.

She also mentioned fan fiction at one stage. She told a story about reading this fanfic where Janet was in the shower with General Hammond. It was quite explicit, and she didn't spare us the details. Then she called Don and told him about it, they both read it and laughed about it. She later met the person who wrote it at a con or somewhere, I can't recall. She was surprise to find a tiny lady about her size had written it and was terrified when Teryl caught her out on it, hahaha!

Wow I remembered more than I expected. Hmm, but thats all for now. Her Australian accent is hilarious though. She just kept repeating what people in the audience would say but got it so wrong.
    Thus it will come to pass... the dying leader will know the truth of the opera house... the missing 3 will give you the 5 who have come from the home of the 13th... you are the harbinger of death, Kara Thrace - you will lead them all to their end. End of line.

Oh yeah...that was so funny...so I know now what I missed before in came in so late...the part about Urgo....you can tell when watching that show that they all had problems keeping a straight face!!
    That fan fiction story was just so awesome...and they way she went up to the MW fans and started chatting...oh man...she is really such a cracker!!
    Glad you remember all those things to...you should link it to other threads...I;'m laughing at remembering it all...yay!!
    And sitting on that French fella's knee while waiting for those two girls to get their camera sorted...lucky bugger!!!...I don't remember his name but I had chatted to him earlier...a very sweet guy!...with some awesome memories to take home!!
    Last edited by Chelle DB; March 29th, 2008 at 04:40 AM.
    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
    ~Amanda Tapping

Quote Originally Posted by chelle db View Post
    And sitting on that French fella's knee while waiting for those two girls to get their camera sorted...lucky bugger!!!...I don't remember his name but I had chatted to him earlier...a very sweet guy!...with some awesome memories to take home!!
    Ohh yeah! Completely forgot about that. She was very interactive with the audience... she couldn't keep still!

Lucky guy indeed. I think if she had done that to me my head would have exploded from all the blood rushing to it from blushing. Would have been an awful mess.
    Thus it will come to pass... the dying leader will know the truth of the opera house... the missing 3 will give you the 5 who have come from the home of the 13th... you are the harbinger of death, Kara Thrace - you will lead them all to their end. End of line.

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidKal View Post
    Ohh yeah! Completely forgot about that. She was very interactive with the audience... she couldn't keep still!

Lucky guy indeed. I think if she had done that to me my head would have exploded from all the blood rushing to it from blushing. Would have been an awful mess.
    Hehe...it's funny coz I felt quite comfortable talking to her...she is so easy to talk to...like Don S Davis...I wish I could have chatted to her for longer!!
    She loves her coffee!!!!
    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
    ~Amanda Tapping

Quote Originally Posted by chelle db View Post
    So I'm thinking this should be a good place to place this little run down of my experience at my first ever Supanova event...I'm still trying to consolidate the days events...all I can say is that I am so glad that I got the day off work and was able to attend.
    Wow! Thank you for this great report and the wonderful pictures.

Just one question: Did Teryl gave any hint about playing Janet again in a future SG-movie?

Please say 'yes'!
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=7055&dateline=1214750821

Quote Originally Posted by Olli View Post
    Wow! Thank you for this great report and the wonderful pictures.

Just one question: Did Teryl gave any hint about playing Janet again in a future SG-movie?

Please say 'yes'!
    Actually...I don't think that was even bought up...I highly doubt they will have Dr Fraiser back but I'd have to say that if given the chance, Teryl would jump at it for sure!...and being sci fi...who knows!!!
    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
    ~Amanda Tapping