This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon

I posted a thread earlier about downloading from Amazon but it got locked. I apologize for talking about something that was "forbidden" but I did not know. However I still need an answer. Can I download from Amazon if I am from the UK? It says only USA people can but how will they know I am not from there? Have any UK'ers downloaded from Amazon and had no problems? Or what about if I got my American friend to download it and then email it or send it over Msn? I am really desperate to watch it since I don't have Sky any more.

And again apologies if I am still talking about something "forbidden". Maybe I should have read the rules first.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Rachy1412 View Post
    I posted a thread earlier about downloading from Amazon but it got locked. I apologize for talking about something that was "forbidden" but I did not know. However I still need an answer. Can I download from Amazon if I am from the UK? It says only USA people can but how will they know I am not from there? Have any UK'ers downloaded from Amazon and had no problems? Or what about if I got my American friend to download it and then email it or send it over Msn? I am really desperate to watch it since I don't have Sky any more.

And again apologies if I am still talking about something "forbidden". Maybe I should have read the rules first.

Thanks!
    Amazon is fine to talk about, just not asking about illegal means. I don't think you can download eps from Amazon if you live in the UK. They will know if you try from the US site by your ip adress.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Amazon and iTunes downloads are protected by digital rights management (DRM), so you cannot get someone in the States to download it and simply send you a file.

Hopefully the U.K. versions of those services will make the new Season Four episodes available soon! Till then, it's Sky One or nothing.
      GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
      The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
      Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

IP address. There may be a way to get around it, go on some IT forum.

Comment

I have a question about amazon myself. Over on these threads:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=49837
          http://www.amazon.com/Stargate-SG-1-...0012767&sr=8-2

They say the SG1 series box set is only $164, but I went to Future Shop today to get, and it was like $233. So what the deal?

Comment

Originally posted by Rachy1412 View Post

Thanks!
            Have a friend in the U.S. download the episodes from Amazon.com or iTunes. He can burn the episodes to a few DVD's and then mail them to you. If he does this, make sure he deletes the copies off his computer so he doesn't violate copyright law. I can't imagine mailing you his only copies of episodes he paid for would be illegal. Is that any different from buying a DVD and giving it to a friend?

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky456 View Post

They say the SG1 series box set is only $164, but I went to Future Shop today to get, and it was like $233. So what the deal?
              It's on sale.
              I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                Have a friend in the U.S. download the episodes from Amazon.com or iTunes. He can burn the episodes to a few DVD's and then mail them to you. If he does this, make sure he deletes the copies off his computer so he doesn't violate copyright law. I can't imagine mailing you his only copies of episodes he paid for would be illegal. Is that any different from buying a DVD and giving it to a friend?
                iTunes does not allow you to burn purchased video content to dvd's. I know the way iTunes keeps non-U.S. people from accessing the store is by the postal address of the credit card you are using for the purchase. So if you have a friend who wants to allow you to us his U.S. authorized credit card, you could buy it from the U.S. store and reimburses him for the video.
                "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
                - Ernst Jan Plugge

Comment

Originally posted by mgehman View Post
                  iTunes does not allow you to burn purchased video content to dvd's.
                  How exactly are they able to enforce this? What's the point in buying a video download if you can't put it on DVD so you can delete it from the PC to save hard drive space? That's just plain stupid. Surely you could make a data disc if nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                    How exactly are they able to enforce this? What's the point in buying a video download if you can't put it on DVD so you can delete it from the PC to save hard drive space? That's just plain stupid. Surely you could make a data disc if nothing else.
                    They can enforce it with the DRM that doesn't allow it to be burned. Yes you can burn a data disc. If you try to play said disc on another computer all you get is gibberish. The videos can be played on your PC, ipod, or Apple TV. I know it sucks, but these are the conditions that prevail currently.
                    "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners."
                    - Ernst Jan Plugge

Comment

This is why I refuse to buy downloads of music and video. If I'm going to buy a movie, TV episode, song, or whatever... I want to be able to play it on other players besides my PC. I don't have an iPod, because I have no desire to listen to music or watch TV on the go, I'd rather interact with the world around me. I've no desire to get an Apple TV, because I already have a TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky456 View Post

AMazon is the only place it's that price and it's only for a limited time.
                        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Working...
                        X