Asurans - Too soon? (SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
    I understand what you're saying, but I'm merely pointing out that the Asurans on Atlantis aren't Replicators. They have nothing to do with the Replicators on SG-1. It bugs me to no end whenever they get called Replicators on the show. Sure, Human-form Replicators and Asurans share a similar nanite base structure, but that's where the similarities end.

Yea they are different but how I see it is when the Ancients came back they made Reese for whatever reason. Or someone found out how to make Reese. Either way related they are.

Comment

Originally posted by KiLL3r View Post
      it was a strange episode, at every turn i expected something to go wrong like it normally does but it never did!
      Tell me about it!! I kept sitting there thinking "something's gonna happen" but nothing ever did. I think that's why I like it so much

On topic..... YAY!!! They're gone!! *Does happy dance*

I was never a big fan of them.. mostly due to how they were written, I think. But the fact that they were based off the reps from SG1 - which were their second bad guys - also had me cringing. (They are separate shows, right? )

Comment

I think the Asurans will be back.
        Spoiler:

Weir is still alive with her vessel, has anyone else put the pieces together yet!
        She has an aurora, the fake Atlantis was attacked by an aurora at which point fake Keller gave the fake team the tracker to destroy Oberth and the Asuran home world.

We have seen how fast the Asurans can rebuild a city ship from the return part 2.

This is how I think it went down.

The weir became a replicator when the nanites took over, after a while she allied herself with the faction that had there own city ship. Knowing how Oberth felt about her and the Asuran faction they put an immense plan in motion, to destroy the Asurans.
        “This Mortal Coil” episode comes to pass except Weir is in command of the aurora over the fake Atlantis.

We now think the Asurans are history, in fact they have a city ship and however many aurora class vessels.

I have put spoilers around this as it contains info regarding BAMSR and TMC.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by solarscreen View Post
          Don't forget that Rodney was not on board with Plan B in the beginning of the episode because just blasting replicator ships would still leave replicators/nannites floating in space, waiting for someone to gather them up and thaw them out.
          Yeap.

There are still a load of replicators lying around in space.

Comment

Originally posted by richardf View Post
            Did anyone else feel after watching this episode, that the replicators have been destroyed too soon?

I could not beleive even right towards the end of the episode that our people would suceeed in destroying the replicators. Surely the writers would not allow it and there would be some kind of twist and the plan fails or the replicators somehow survive. To be honest I was expecting the last scene of the episode to be some sort of revelation that some had survived, although i didnt expect them to be a rebel group led by 'repliweir'. I was expecting something like we have seen in SG1 episodes where Milky way replicators are destroyed - a few blocks or cells escape destruction and begin rebuilding.

Going back to my original issue, I think as an enemy the replicators (as a complete group/society, not just some survivors) had more to give the show as enemies. To me with their superior tech they posed a far bigger threat than the Wraith, who to honest I now find a bit boring and predictable. I think it ws a mistake to destroy such an enemy after the equivalent of just one season and revert back to the wraith as the big threat. The writers could have at least kept the replicators in until the end of season 4, and then maybe got rid of them as a season finale.

I just cannot see where the show can go from here. I looked through the episode guide on Gateworld and I cannot see anything that jumps out as 'must see'. Perhaps this is someones way of killing the series off. Shame.
            Theyre not, i saw a whole ship of them at the end ^.^

Comment

i completly disagree, i think the replicaters unlike the mk replicaters where not very menacing. The wraith are much more interesting and evil. The replicaters don't seem to have much emotion, oberoth especially, i mean the ep where they were introduced and the one where weir gets captured (their names escape me) where awful, the return was good as was first strike and this episode but the wraith are much more interesting villains and i am glad that replicaters are only rebel groups which are much more interesting and the wraith are back as the main villians. However i would have liked to see some ascended replicaters, season 5 maybe

key members of parliament, key. The minds behind every military, diplomatic and covert operation in the galaxy and you put them in a room with a psychic.

sigpic

thanks to stef for making this banner

Comment

They're not destroyed, since Weir showed up at the end.

And...

Spoiler:
                If you see the Ark of Truth leak, it seems there are still milky way replicators held by humans somewhere, since they tried to use one bug against the Ori.
                My heart beats in 13/8.

Comment

Ok I know they werent all destroyed. I was really refering to the destruction of the Asurans as a 'civilisation' with a planet, cities, city ships, fleet of warships etc. I liked that, gave some idea of what the ancients' civilisation in Pegasus might of been like. It provided much more scope for future story lines than a surviving ship of rogue replicators, which is what we have now. OK they may rebuild, but it wont be quite the same.

I kind of wished/hoped for a way to be found to eliminate the Asurans and leave their planet and tech intact - to be colonised/used by humans at some point. The asurans planet could have been used to provide a refuge for pegasus humans against the wraith and the tech used to fight them. All gone now so we will never know if this could have happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                    I understand what you're saying, but I'm merely pointing out that the Asurans on Atlantis aren't Replicators. They have nothing to do with the Replicators on SG-1. It bugs me to no end whenever they get called Replicators on the show. Sure, Human-form Replicators and Asurans share a similar nanite base structure, but that's where the similarities end.
                    They are most definitely related. Both were created by the Ancients from nanite technology. I think the Asurans were a great way to revisit and improve upon an old enemy. There sure as heck better be around in some form (Weir?) as the series continues.

Comment

Originally posted by HotOne View Post
                      They are most definitely related. Both were created by the Ancients from nanite technology. I think the Asurans were a great way to revisit and improve upon an old enemy. There sure as heck better be around in some form (Weir?) as the series continues.
                      Speculation. Reese created the replicators who eventually became human form, but we have no idea who created her.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                        Speculation. Reese created the replicators who eventually became human form, but we have no idea who created her.
                        Indeed. For all we know, it could be an advanced Human civilization created Reese or at the very least, used Ancient knowledge to do so.

Anyway about the Asurans, there exists a problem with introducing such a foe. On the one hand they made them a lot weaker compared to the Replicators which is a good thing as it makes an enemy that the Atlantis Expedition and the other races of the Pegasus galaxy can actually fight. The downside is that Asurans make use of Ancient technology as well as their own abilities.

So if the Asurans survived longer then they would have been problems keeping them as a manageable threat. Unlike the Ancients, the Asurans would not have any trouble against the Wraith's number as they could also match them in cranking out warships and thousands of their kind to fight the Wraith. And with the Wraith lacking shields and fighting with one another due to a shortage of food, the Asurans might very well have destroyed the Wraith eventually.

So with Asuras destroyed there exists the possibility of the Asurans remaining as a threat, through a possible Asuran Weir, but not on as large a level as before.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Originally posted by metabog View Post
                          Spoiler:
                          If you see the Ark of Truth leak, it seems there are still milky way replicators held by humans somewhere, since they tried to use one bug against the Ori.
                          Spoiler:
                          Doesn't mean they have replicators being held somewhere, the replicator in the Ark of Truth was created by the Asgard core, the same way they used it to make other objects in Unending. They don't need to have one lying around somewhere to do that. And in the end they were all destroyed so once again there are no more MW replicators.

Comment

Working...
                          X