• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ellis is the worst ship captain

is it just me or is Colonel ellis

a) a bad actor
    b) just a very hatable character overall

i hope he dies soon, because he's becoming one of those characters you can't stand. i'd take kavanaugh over him.

Originally posted by andy tyler View Post

a) a bad actor

i hope he dies soon, because he's becoming one of those characters you can't stand. i'd take kavanaugh over him.
    Woah woah woah woah.........woah. Kavanaugh is way way way way waaaaaaay worse.

I actually think ellis is a good character. He certainly seems to be a good commander. Not much different to caldwell and i think he really is quite well portrayed. the problem is that he does not like the loose chain of command on Atlantis. Understandably he's also pro military control but he has no interest in taking control himself. He said himself that he would see sheppard in command and I'm sure he has no problem with carter. As for yelling at McKay like he did well that's also understandable. What he said was bellow the belt but he doesn't know McKay. He hasn't had time to get used to his way of doing things and he probably doesn't agree with the lose chain of command on atlantis in the first place but that's what makes him good. He adds a bit of conflict and i like that.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

a) a bad actor

I wouldn't say he's a bad actor...
      Maybe easy to dislike/hate but that is because of how the character is written... not everyone in real life is easy going or has a good attitude all the time TPTB to maintain realism must show that once in a while...

IMO the Actor who play Ellis makes the character believable/real so I would not go anywhere near saying he's a bad actor...

Comment

is it just me or is Colonel ellis a) a bad actorb) just a very hatable character overalli hope he dies soon, because he's becoming one of those characters you can't stand. i'd take kavanaugh over him.
        I like Ellis. Granted Caldwell is a better character. He is just a very opinionated man who speaks his mind. Kind of like McKay of the military.P-90 gave a very good description onf the kind of person Ellis is.
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

well i remember his performance from "adrift" it was horrible. it was like he was reading his lines when he was acting.

Comment

a) a bad actor

yup yup and yup
            Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
            ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
            Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

well i remember his performance from "adrift" it was horrible. it was like he was reading his lines when he was acting.
              Well I just watched the parts with him in adrift again just to have a look. I kinda have to disagree again though. When he was talking to carter on midway he was essentially just relaying the facts. He wasn't really going to get all emotional esspecially since he hadn't known the atlantis team very well plus there may not have been anything majorly wrong, but if you look at his face when he's on the bridge of the apollo during that scene he looked genuinly concerned. His voice didn't convey it but his eyes did. He looked like a man with a heavy burden on his mind.

Comment

True but i don't have this "Feeling" when i see him. When i see Caldwell, or Emerson, or even Pendergast, i get the feeling of that character belonging there, being a ship captain. I don't get this feeling with Ellis. I dont think he makes his character believable enough

Comment

True but i don't have this "Feeling" when i see him. When i see Caldwell, or Emerson, or even Pendergast, i get the feeling of that character belonging there, being a ship captain. I don't get this feeling with Ellis. I dont think he makes his character believable enough
                  well as we've seen ship captains do have a tendecy of dieing. Caldwell has been the only one to last so far (though pendergast lasted a fair while) so you never know. you may get your wish.

Comment

He definitely isn't my favorite, that's for sure.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I agree with P-90, but I would also add that it depends on the ep ie sometimes TPTB just need someone to be an ass, and it usually falls to the newer character (see Caldwell early s2). Then they tone them down somewhat. It's the way of life for a recurring character. If Ronan told Rodney to ST** every now and then (which on occasion needs doing) one day the shield would remain up on his return to Atlantis and he'd like a bug on a windshield. My point is that in tends to be the recurring characters (or guests) that create the conflict.

EDIT: poor Caldwell did do rather well. How many times did Weir send him to his death? (that's a joke, I like both of those characters). Ship captains get the brunt of the script problems though, they HAVE to do things to further the plot, whereas the main characters actions are not generally so problematic
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                        Woah woah woah woah.........woah. Kavanaugh is way way way way waaaaaaay worse.
                        Agreed. I hope Carter throws Kav out the airlock in Midway.

I actually think ellis is a good character. He certainly seems to be a good commander. Not much different to caldwell and i think he really is quite well portrayed. the problem is that he does not like the loose chain of command on Atlantis. Understandably he's also pro military control but he has no interest in taking control himself. He said himself that he would see sheppard in command and I'm sure he has no problem with carter. As for yelling at McKay like he did well that's also understandable. What he said was bellow the belt but he doesn't know McKay. He hasn't had time to get used to his way of doing things and he probably doesn't agree with the lose chain of command on atlantis in the first place but that's what makes him good. He adds a bit of conflict and i like that.
                        Agreed especially with the Mckay thing. He was out of line and I loved Carter standing up for Rodney but Ellis is a great character and does add tension.
                        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

a) a bad actor

If a fictional character can stir this much emotion in you then no, he's not a bad actor, he and the writers must be doing their job very well. If by hate you mean someone you'd hate if he were real, then that's a good thing.

On a side note, I definitely don't think he's the worst ship captain, he handles himself a lot better than any of the Odyssey commanders I've seen.

Comment

First of All: The title for this thread is misleading.

Colonel Abe Ellis, Captain of the Earth Ship Apollo.(portrayed by actor Michael Beach)

Col. Ellis is a Captain of a ship. The Commander of the ship. Among the crew he seems to be respected, he officiates appropriately and he honors the chain of command.

"The worst ship Captain" title is: a little barbaric IMO.

Col. Ellis listens to science and reason appropriately and he can pinpoint McKay lying through his teeth and can read people. Dr. E. Weir is not someone he relates well too...because he doesn't think she should have been leader.
                            Col. Ellis listens to Carter and has a respect for her. Ellis is IMO, in no way sexist or racist. He Is opinionated and open about his views.

+ Ellis and McKay don't get along.

I wonder if a McKay and Ellis based episode would be as good as a BA'AL and CARTER episode such as: Quest II. The banter and the hatred between the two.

It would be interesting to have Teal'C third wheeling as well. Especially if McKay took a swing at Ellis. Would T' laugh? Would T' get involved? Which side would T' pick?
                            sigpic
                            i know this is an overstatement and untrue to the show, but i still think its funny kinda

Comment

i like Michael Beach as an actor but i can not stand his character.
                              Ellis is a good Commander of the apollo i just think his got a bad attitude.

Spoiler:
                              i think it was funny in be all my sins remembered when he gets told of by carter for disrespecting Dr Mckay. he diserved it.
                              When the rich wage war,it's the poor who die.

Comment

Working...
                              X