No announcement yet.

Asgard Beam Weapon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys, we seem to have a lot of superior atittudes going on here.

Let's remember:

This is a discussion about fictional 'science', so keep it in perspective.

None of you are any better than any others, so mellow out a bit please.

Just cause someone is getting uppity...hey, just put them on ignore and let them educate themselves.

And if you can't keep the overall perspective of this discussion, then maybe you should find somewhere else to play, cause this is supposed to be fun, not serious
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Once again though it could only take on 2-3 hives by surprise, when the hives got the jump on the 304,= dead.

Hives did seem to withstand alittle better than asuran ships. I will have to go back and rewatch the episode again soon in more detail. But 1 shot causes miminal damage, maybe they had to hit with about 4 beam shots in relatively the same spot to destroy it. If the 4 shots had been spread out i dont think a hive would be destroyed.

You must mean the ori's main weapon? With shields the ody could take 1-2 shots from the oir's maine weapon i think, but if you mean without shields i dont it could survive any, kind of like when we hit dart bays and create secondary explosions, a 304 would prob just continue to break up, or at the least not be able to do anything, so many systems would probably fry from feedback i imagine.
      sigpic

Surely you cant be serious, I am serious and dont call me shirly.

Danmit. What is it Oneil? I forgot to tape the simpsons .... Its important to me

Sir i think you have gone mad with power.
      Ofcourse I have, have you ever gone mad without power, its no fun, noone listens to you

Comment

I think it was said in Unending, by Carter & Mitchell, but don't quote me on it, i'll have to take a look at the transcripts.
        Edit: Ok, there are no transcripts, not on Gateworld.

Comment

I think the writters are conciously observing (or subconciously) volume flow rate when doing beam weapons which would basically mean if the beams still pump as much plasma out as the ori ship in the same ammount of time, we see theat the impacting surface area is significantly less, thereforce since area decreased velocity increased giving greater impact yeild. If some one can bring pictures of where they shot the hives it may help as may have tried to hit it to compromise structural integrity.
          Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

I have read a decent portion of this thread, and believe I have the general idea but if anyone would be willing a brief summary of arguments as of now would be appreciated.

As far as the plasma beam weapons go I would say they are a very effective weapon, the same can be said for drone weapons. If it came down to having a single plasma beam cannon or a single drone, I would go with the cannon. As far as a full weapons payload, I would go will a load out of drones since the plasma beam weapon would be less versatile.

I will admit that I do put the ancients on a pedestal, but only because they kind of deserve it as far as technologically. I cant quite always wrap my brain around the whole arrogance thing since they seem like a logical scientifically minded people as a whole, and being logical and arrogant just dont really mix that well. The actions of Lanteans on screen seem to contradict how they are described in other instances. For example I found it was rather rude and illogical to kick the Atlantis expedition off of Atlantis entirely since it a city and at most there was a single ship full of Lanteans to restore and populate Atlantis and they could have used the help and "needing time alone after 10,00 years" is a pretty awkward excuse considering the circumstances of the moment and the fact that time had been extremely dilated for them so they spend maybe a few years on the ship.

In my view while the ancients losing to the Wraith is canon, logically it makes no sense as we have seen the capabilities of the ancients ships and weapons and using their loss to downplay their technology is a hard sell. Tactically a number of steps could have been taken to nip the wraith thing in the bud. This includes a plan using the Attero device and the Asurans, which would have taken simple additions and/or changes in the plan of either to allow an easy victory.

I dont know if this is still the case but some people seem to think that the Auroras and drones used by the Asurans were top of the line, but they were only top of the line at the point the Asurans broke away with the Lanteans continuing to advance during the war. I would say any technology as it exists on Atlantis would be the best the Lanteans could muster. As of yet there hasnt been a true display of a drones capabilities since only relatively untrained humans have been using the technology. In all battles with the Wraith or any species really if a single drone gets through your shields the battle should be over since an experience operator would aim for the most vital stop on the ship to destroy it.

An state of the art Aurora, the ones used at the end of the war with the Wraith against an Oniell class I think would at worst end with both ships destroying each other and most likely leaning the the Auroras favor. The plasma beam weapon seems to do well against shields but hundreds of drones would have a greater effect than the plasma beam weapon. The drones would also give the Aurora the ability to engage multiple targets at once so it would be even less favorable for the Asgard in a numbers game.

Anyway I look forward to hearing any points of constructive disagreement anyone has to offer.
            Knowledge is a three edged sword. Your side, their side, and the truth.

Comment

Working...
            X