chevron activation order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chevron activation order

What exactly is the order in which the chevrons are activated when not speed dialing (like the dialing computer or manual dialing)? (speaking mostly about Milky Way gates here) It clearly is clockwise skipping the top chevron, which seems to the the one that is always activated last. Obviously though, two chevrons are skipped when dialing a 7-symbol address. I'm guessing it is the bottom two that are skipped, as they are often found embedded in the stone. But which one of those two chevrons get used when dialing an 8-symbol address? the left one or the right one? Also when does it activate? Right before the top chevron, or after the right hand 3 chevrons have activated? If the latter how does the gate know one is dialing an 8-symbol address at that time (only 4 symbols would have been entered at that point)? If it activates right before the top chevron, it would know it must be an 8-symbol (or more) address because the point of origin symbol was not entered.

One can assume that when dialing an 8 symbol address the first symbol is the extragalactic number

Like dialing long distance. for local calls you get dial 321-4569 yet for long distance you dial the area code first 1-098 -321-4569 So The 8th chevron would actually be dialed first. The same would hole true for what ever the Ninth chevron actually does.

Comment

Originally posted by peragrin View Post
      One can assume that when dialing an 8 symbol address the first symbol is the extragalactic number

Like dialing long distance. for local calls you get dial 321-4569 yet for long distance you dial the area code first 1-098 -321-4569 So The 8th chevron would actually be dialed first. The same would hole true for what ever the Ninth chevron actually does.
      In the rising daniel showed that it was the last one before the point of origin. I saw something weird when I rewatch memento, their ring didn't spin, the chevrons lit up where normally the disk spins, anyone know why?
      Best quotes ever:
      O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
      Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
      Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
      Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
      Thor:I like the yellow ones
      O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

I'm not worried about which symbol has which meaning. What I am concerned with is the order in which the chevrons light up.

As I had said, my understanding is that for a 7-symbol address, activation of the chevrons occurs in clockwise order begin with the first past the top, and skipping the bottom-most two. The last chevron to lock is the top chevron on the point of origin symbol. If anybody has any information to the contrary, i would love to hear it.

My next observation is that in an 8 symbol address one of the bottom-most 2 chevrons must be encoded. Which one is it? Also when does that chevron light up?

My gut would tell me that it should light up just before the top one, or perhaps 4th, assuming it is keeping the standard clockwise order.

Looking at the activation parts shown during The Rising (SGA 101) though, the third chevron down the right hand side is shown lighting just prior to the announcer saying "chevron 4 encoded". (On the other hand, based on the positioning of the symbol under that chevron (Triangulum) the chevron at the top (the one being encoded) must be Crater, which is in fact the third symbol in the address. This means that this was an editing mistake, so it cannot be used for this determination. That one was most definitely the third
        chevron encoding.

Then later we see another chevron encoding. This looks like either the second or third one down the left. It had Libra under it (although it looked like a line may have been missing from the glyph). The symbol under the top chevron if Libra was under the third chevron down the left would be Pegasus. However Pegasus is the first symbol in the address. Therefore the chevron shown must be the 2nd one down the left. If Libra is under the second chevron down the left, then Triangulum is under the top chevron. Triangulum is the 5th symbol in the Lantea address, so the chevron 2 down the left is the 5th to be encoded. Unfortunately, once again the announcement just afterwords of "chevron 6 encoded" seems to be incorrect, as that was just the fifth symbol of the address.

However, from this I have concluded that one of the bottom two must be the 7th chevron encoded, as the rest of the encoding followed the normal pattern. It is definately shown that the 8th chevron encoded is the top one, locking on the point of origin.

Thus my only question remaining is which of the bottom two chevrons is used in an 8 symbol address? Is it the one on the left, or the one on the right?

Interestingly though, the very first symbol in the Milkyway address for Lantea
        is Pegasus, which of course, is the name of the galaxy Atlantis is located in. I'm guessing this is just a coincidence, but it is still interesting.

Comment

I looked through all of the screencaps and videos that I can find and none of them show which chevrons light up at the bottom. They are always covered. The only gates we have that dial those adresses are land based and so are not visible.
          Best quotes ever:
          O’NEILL: I hope you like Guinness, Sir. I find it a refreshing substitute for food.
          Jack O'neill: I hope you diplomatically told him where to shove it.
          Teal'c:If you once again try to harm me or one of my companions, my patience with you will expire.
          Carter: You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water.
          Thor:I like the yellow ones
          O´Neill:Hey, if you had been listening, you´d know that Nintendos pass through everything.

Comment

Originally posted by umopapisdn View Post
            I looked through all of the screencaps and videos that I can find and none of them show which chevrons light up at the bottom. They are always covered. The only gates we have that dial those adresses are land based and so are not visible.
            You do seem to be correct That none of the gates ever physically show this, however I have finally found out which chevron it is. The dialing conputer manages to give it away during the sequence in which Capt. Carter attempts to redial the 8 symbol address. Before the error message occurs there are a few frames (5 or fewer) which show that it is indeed the lower right chevron that gets encoded (which would have been my guess). From that episode, it is not quite made clear that it is encoded before the top chevron. However if the top chevron is encoded first that would be fairly weird, as the light on that chevron would then turn back off as the inner ring is spinning to place the last symbol under it. Which would be encoded to the lower right chevron. That process would temporarily look like only six symbols had yet been encoded. For that reason, I'm assuming the top chevron is still the last to be engaged.

Watching the dialing computer screen closely does definitely confirm though that the bottom chevron is encoded last or second to last being preceded by the normal pattern of the right three chevrons activating top to bottom and thenm the left three activating bottom to top.
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X