Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enough with the technobabble already!! Not that the SG writers can do any better...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    Almost every scifi show has some form of technobable. At least I can understand it to a special degree.
    If I didn't like the technobabbly stuff at least a little I wouldn't be watching SciFi and SGA in the first place. I'd be off to the soap opera station (if there is one).
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
      If I didn't like the technobabbly stuff at least a little I wouldn't be watching SciFi and SGA in the first place. I'd be off to the soap opera station (if there is one).
      Technobable is an element of most SciFi shows. At least I can follow the technobable in SGA compared to other SciFi shows.?* FYI, there is soap opera channal
      Last edited by jelgate; 08 January 2008, 10:02 PM.
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Atlantis has been about technology from day one. Rodney has spoken plenty of techobabble from the moment he was introduced as a character on SG-1. Frankly, given those two things technobabble is to be expected. What was said in BAMSR was not complicated in any way, IMO. I'm don't claim to be any kind of scientist, but I had no trouble understanding what was going on.

If you don't like it, go watch something else.
        I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
          Atlantis has been about technology from day one. Rodney has spoken plenty of techobabble from the moment he was introduced as a character on SG-1. Frankly, given those two things technobabble is to be expected. What was said in BAMSR was not complicated in any way, IMO. I'm don't claim to be any kind of scientist, but I had no trouble understanding what was going on.

If you don't like it, go watch something else.
          Exactly... It's one of the reasons I love the show.

Comment

I didn't expect anything other than a love in in this total wankfest of a Stargate forum but hey.

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
            But surely you don't expect the show to stay stagnant in its technology?
            The problem is that they seem to be conveniently coming up with new technology at a remarkable rate, almost every week. The replicator ship locator last week, the Asguard beam weapon and the Replicator-maker this week. A new 304 ship whenever the story needs one. It's lazy writing.

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
            Dont watch reruns of startrek the next generation, youll have a seizure then. There its always tech something tachyon other. Its a staple of the scifi genre, and its not like its a new thing. Maybe they should replace it with BSG style sex and hallucinating presidents?
            The difference is, Star Trek TNG was a hundred times better written than SG. Stargate on the other hand always makes me think the show is run by an amateur production team. The sorts of people who think that 'fun' episodes like 200 and Bad Guys were a 'cool' thing to write.

My problem with the technobabble is that you don't need it to tell a good story. BSG doesn't have any for instance. Again, it's all down to lazy writing, with writers who can't do any better than a) come up with far-fetched theories to offset their own inadequacies and b) introduce "kewl" new tech every week, conveniently plot holled for that particular episode but then forgotten about.

Comment

This "technobable" is present in many SF shows/movies. The problems come when the technobabble becomes too convenient and predictable. Please don't throw rocks at me, but I prefer Startrek's technobabble to the one in SGA.

SG1 is not free of convenient technobabble : at some point it became truly boring that Sam repaired ships,shields,anything with the same identical,old technique "switch colourful crystals" .

The most irritating thing about SGA's technobabble is that the items/technologies very rarely appear again in future episodes.

Also, I dislike the lack of consistency : the humans are supposed to have limited knowledge about the advanced lantean technology. Yet, every time McKay is able to magically use or make it work . Always in the last minute . But it will work only once : the device is destroyed, stolen, or labeled "too dangerous to be used again" .

The most recent example: they've managed to create Fran - a fully functional , well programmed for her purpose , stable and trusted replicator !

From now on it is possible to have such a new replicator built in every season for accomplishing different tasks. But this will never happen : it will be "too dangerous" to use the nanites building table again, even if the whole plan of "be all my sins remembered" depended on the ability to trust Fran !

The writers are denying us countless of interesting plots by limiting the newly found devices/tehnologies to only one occurence .

Comment

Originally posted by HyperspaceDaemon View Post
                This "technobable" is present in many SF shows/movies. The problems come when the technobabble becomes too convenient and predictable. Please don't throw rocks at me, but I prefer Startrek's technobabble to the one in SGA.

SG1 is not free of convenient technobabble : at some point it became truly boring that Sam repaired ships,shields,anything with the same identical,old technique "switch colourful crystals" .

The most irritating thing about SGA's technobabble is that the items/technologies very rarely appear again in future episodes.

Also, I dislike the lack of consistency : the humans are supposed to have limited knowledge about the advanced lantean technology. Yet, every time McKay is able to magically use or make it work . Always in the last minute . But it will work only once : the device is destroyed, stolen, or labeled "too dangerous to be used again" .

The most recent example: they've managed to create Fran - a fully functional , well programmed for her purpose , stable and trusted replicator !

From now on it is possible to have such a new replicator built in every season for accomplishing different tasks. But this will never happen : it will be "too dangerous" to use the nanites building table again, even if the whole plan of "be all my sins remembered" depended on the ability to trust Fran !

The writers are denying us countless of interesting plots by limiting the newly found devices/tehnologies to only one occurence .
                Exactly right. Again it's showing their ineptitude at good storytelling, to have this wonderful new tech delivered to our door conveniently just in time for the episode it's most needed... then disappear forever.

Until the next episode comes around and another new gizmo is discovered used.

Comment

Originally posted by stevearm07 View Post
                  Exactly right. Again it's showing their ineptitude at good storytelling, to have this wonderful new tech delivered to our door conveniently just in time for the episode it's most needed... then disappear forever.

Until the next episode comes around and another new gizmo is discovered used.
                  Why is it that the new technology is most needed now? We found out about the Asurans wiping out human worlds in the Seer.

Comment

Techonobabble is part of sci-fi in general. I understand technobabble (nearly always ) and what rodney wanted to do and said amkes perfect sense, and was an ingenious plan. Just because you don't understand it doesn't mean its rubbish. Technobabble is good in (futuristic)sci-fi because our physics doesn't work like that.

I didn't expect anything other than a love in in this total wankfest of a Stargate forum but hey.
                    What were you expecting? It's a stargate forum or did you not understand this simple thing either. It would explain alot about this thread and you're opinions.

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                      Why is it that the new technology is most needed now? We found out about the Asurans wiping out human worlds in the Seer.
                      Is that supposed to be an argument against the lazy writing and the fact that miraculous wonderful tech seems to appear every episode?

The 'beam weapons' that can destroy a ship in seconds was the last straw for me. Although later that same episode we were treated to the 'Replicator-maker'. I wonder what tech will be introduced next week...

Originally posted by beale947 View Post
                      What were you expecting? It's a stargate forum or did you not understand this simple thing either. It would explain alot about this thread and you're opinions.
                      Most forums can be objective, with fans realising when the quality dips or when things about the show just aren't right.

This forum, is filled with people who would never say a bad word about the show, and look to make excuses for the writers and producers at every opportunity. Although given how ratings have plummetted, I wouldn't be surprised if the people on here are the only SG fans left.

Comment

Ok, I enjoyed Be All My Sins Remember'd. It was an action packed episode with lots of explosions and I enjoy those. Fine, but that's about it.

I am however getting F-ING SICK AND TIRED of the amount of technobabble every single week on Atlantis. It seems to be getting worse and worse these past two years from episode to episode.

The amount of deus ex machina and wonderful Ancient tech mixed in with corny convenient plot elements was getting ridiculous by the end of the episode. It was laughable. In fact a friend of mine who's into SG but not hugely serious about it just ended up laughing by the end at just how much of a joke the "WRITING" was.

Of course I know the reason for all this. The Stargate writers can't write a clever well thought out plot, simple as that. To them,

a good episode = explosions + a 'dramatic' twist + lots of technobabble + last second beam out by an Earth ship.

Which is fine, Stargate is a bit of a superficial 'fun' show and that's cool, but regardless... please, writers.. use your brains for once instead of having McKay come up with his latest 'plan' or 'Ancient technology' every week.

I completely agree with you. Writing is getting worse and worse. But it's SG-1's problem too. Have you seen AoT? Another miracolous device which saves us all
                        Stolen Kosovo
                        sigpic

Comment

Is that supposed to be an argument against the lazy writing and the fact that miraculous wonderful tech seems to appear every episode?

The 'beam weapons' that can destroy a ship in seconds was the last straw for me. Although later that same episode we were treated to the 'Replicator-maker'. I wonder what tech will be introduced next week...
                          These were brought in in SG-1's 'Unending'. They were used then to destroy an Ori ship, are you complaining about that as well???
                          Steve, you write a stargate series then. All this complaining about the writers is not needed as you couldn't do much better.

Most forums can be objective, with fans realising when the quality dips or when things about the show just aren't right.

This forum, is filled with people who would never say a bad word about the show, and look to make excuses for the writers and producers at every opportunity. Although given how ratings have plummetted, I wouldn't be surprised if the people on here are the only SG fans left.
                          Have you not seen the 'Anti' threads and the 'Antiers' on this forum. Just because people don't go 'OMG did you see that!!! This is rubbish, did you see that (insert scifi thing). Thats rubbish you can't do that in real life!' or scream plothole at every little thing doesn't mean this forum isn't objective The show is good, and to be hosnest, you are saying this on a stargate forum. You won't win, and even if we are the last sg fans left. (LOL....yeah right....Try several million fans more.) stargate is a great show, and if you don't like it. Don't watch it, its that simple...
                          Last edited by beale947; 09 January 2008, 03:14 AM.

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

No I was pointing out the flaws in your argument.

It would have been more retarded had we not got them after the events of Unending.
                            How can you be objective about something that entirely subjective? I for one think this is by far the best season of Atlantis, far more character development, drama and action and far less cheese.

You obviously haven't been reading very carefully, this forum is filled with people who having nothing but bad things to say about the show. There seems to be a hell of a lot of people like you on these forums actually, highlighting problems in the show that have existed in every season of the show, and have been a hell of a lot more prominent too. Unsurprisingly 9 out of 10 of them seem to be Weir or Beckett fans, coincidence? I think not.

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                              I completely agree with you. Writing is getting worse and worse. But it's SG-1's problem too. Have you seen AoT? Another miracolous device which saves us all
                              Oh god I'd forgotten about that. The Arc of Truth. Yet another miraculous Ancient device brought in by the writers. Groan.

These were brought in in SG-1's 'Unending'. They were used then to destroy an Ori ship, are you complaining about that as well???
                              Yes I am complaining about that. YET ANOTHER bit of tech we conveniently get in an episode that makes the writer's jobs easier. Unending was a pathetic, depressing, garbage episode that had no right to be a series finale.

All this complaining about the writers is not needed as you couldn't do much better.
                              How do you know?

No I was pointing out the flaws in your argument.
                              Seriously, how old are you?

It would have been more retarded had we not got them after the events of Unending.
                              Unending itself was a retarded episode. We should never have 'got them' in the first place!

How can you be objective about something that entirely subjective? I for one think this is by far the best season of Atlantis, far more character development, drama and action and far less cheese.
                              How much character development was there in this episode exactly? I liked the episode, but it still highlighted Stargate's problems in a huge way.

You obviously haven't been reading very carefully, this forum is filled with people who having nothing but bad things to say about the show. There seems to be a hell of a lot of people like you on these forums actually, highlighting problems in the show that have existed in every season of the show, and have been a hell of a lot more prominent too. Unsurprisingly 9 out of 10 of them seem to be Weir or Beckett fans, coincidence? I think not.
                              Oh please. This forum is filled with gushers like PG15 and yourself.

Comment

I groaned when they mentioned the new "super kewl" Asguard beam weapons that conveniently turn up the episode they're required and can destroy a replicator ship with a few shots.
                                I'm sure they would have been useful back in "Lifeline", too.

Then there was the de-Wraith poison, the anti-Replicator 'forcefield', the hyperdrived Puddle jumper, the replicator maker/workstation, the underwater power-station etc etc etc...

All convenient episodic deux ex machinas that the writers think can make up for their inept ability to tell a good story without having the Daedalus beam the team up at the last second, or yet another 'allience with the enemy' or 'hunt for the incredible Ancient weapon'.
                                Those aren't deus ex machinas. A deus ex machina is something that turns up with no prior mention or even a hint and solves the problem easily.

The Wraith retrovirus definitely isn't. Scientifically suspect, sure, but it's no deus ex machina.
                                I'm fairly certain that Rodney mentioned that he had figured out how to give a Jumper a hyperdrive back in "Tao of Rodney". They needed it in "Adrift/Lifeline", so they went back to it.
                                The Replicator builder was a little convenient, sure, and hasn't been mentioned, but it makes total sense that it would exist.
                                And that underwater energy platform had an entire episode about them finding and exploring it...

Oh please. This forum is filled with gushers like PG15 and yourself.
                                Keep the discussion to the shows, man.

Comment

Working...
                                X