Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enough with the technobabble already!! Not that the SG writers can do any better...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enough with the technobabble already!! Not that the SG writers can do any better...

Ok, I enjoyed Be All My Sins Remember'd. It was an action packed episode with lots of explosions and I enjoy those. Fine, but that's about it.

I am however getting F-ING SICK AND TIRED of the amount of technobabble every single week on Atlantis. It seems to be getting worse and worse these past two years from episode to episode.

The amount of deus ex machina and wonderful Ancient tech mixed in with corny convenient plot elements was getting ridiculous by the end of the episode. It was laughable. In fact a friend of mine who's into SG but not hugely serious about it just ended up laughing by the end at just how much of a joke the "WRITING" was.

Of course I know the reason for all this. The Stargate writers can't write a clever well thought out plot, simple as that. To them,

a good episode = explosions + a 'dramatic' twist + lots of technobabble + last second beam out by an Earth ship.

Which is fine, Stargate is a bit of a superficial 'fun' show and that's cool, but regardless... please, writers.. use your brains for once instead of having McKay come up with his latest 'plan' or 'Ancient technology' every week.

Naw, you just don’t understand “this bond is occurring on a subspace level”. LOL
    sigpic
    Spoiler:
    Me: “I just wanted to take the Staten Island Ferry…I wasn’t expecting the extraordinary rendition.”
    *Three DHS guys dressed in black pop out of nowhere. *
    DHS: “NOBODY EVER EXPECTS THE EXTRAORDINARY RENDITION!!!”
    DHS: “Our chief weapons are shock-n-awe, enhanced interrogation techniques, and the suspension of habeas corpus.”

Comment

Originally posted by Argosy View Post
      Naw, you just don’t understand “this bond is occurring on a subspace level”. LOL
      LOL sorry my mistake!

Remember back when there was none of this cheap writing and techy storytelling. It was GOOD storytelling back in the day when Stargate was actually good, ie. SG-1 seasons 1-6

Comment

It's sci-fi. Science fiction invariably means technobabble. Just be glad it's nowhere near as bad as Next Generation's technobabble saturation, but at the same time nowhere near as good as Galactica's almost total absence of it. Atlantis runs a nice middle-ground, just enough to get by without overdoing it.
        Jayne - Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. But these Reavers... last ten years they show up like the bogeyman from stories. Eating people alive? Where's that get fun?
        Kaylee - Shepherd Book said they was men who just reached the edge of space, saw a vasty nothingness, and went bibbledy over it.
        Jayne - Oh, hell, i've been to the edge. Just looked like... more space.
        - Serenity

Comment

Originally posted by Mefusta View Post
          It's sci-fi. Science fiction invariably means technobabble. Just be glad it's nowhere near as bad as Next Generation's technobabble saturation, but at the same time nowhere near as good as Galactica's almost total absence of it. Atlantis runs a nice middle-ground, just enough to get by without overdoing it.
          I disagree completely. Season 1 didn't have technobabble. SG-1 seasons 1-6 didn't have technobabble.

Can you honestly say that the levels of technobabble in this ep wasn't going overboard? It's all to do with lazy writing, or writers who can't write any better. I suspect it's the latter.

Jeeze I mean I knew this forum was a SG wankfest but come on, surely some of you can see my point.

Comment

Originally posted by stevearm07 View Post
            I disagree completely. Season 1 didn't have technobabble. SG-1 seasons 1-6 didn't have technobabble.

Can you honestly say that the levels of technobabble in this ep wasn't going overboard? It's all to do with lazy writing, or writers who can't write any better. I suspect it's the latter.

Jeeze I mean I knew this forum was a SG wankfest but come on, surely some of you can see my point.
            Huh? Yes they did, and a lot of it. You seem to have selective hearing.

Comment

Welcome to scifi where technobable abounds. There was plenty in S1 and all seasons of Stargate. The main difference (it seems to me) is the amount of otherworldly gagets they have to play with. The amount of supertech we now have is laughable especially considering their pension of "losing" it or just flat out plotholing it from week to week. Its kind of like the Die Hard movies are getting. So over the top that you have to laugh but yet somehow still entertaining (at least I find Atlantis still entertaining...no where near how entertaining I found early Classic Stargate SG-1 but much better then later drek they called Stargate SG-1 or BSG.... so far)
              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

While I have come to expect a certain level of technobabble and exposition from this series, I did think that BAMSR had too much of it, particularly in the meetings. As SGA goes on I find myself tuning out Rodney's scientific explanations and ideas more and more - I'd have to think for a while to remember anything scientific he said in BAMSR. I guess that stuff just doesn't interest me as much as character moments and action. I prefer showing, not just telling. That was my major hangup with the Asuran/Wraith war - it was predominantly the latter.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                  Huh? Yes they did, and a lot of it. You seem to have selective hearing.
                  No where near the pathetic levels we're at now.

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                  Welcome to scifi where technobable abounds. There was plenty in S1 and all seasons of Stargate. The main difference (it seems to me) is the amount of otherworldly gagets they have to play with. The amount of supertech we now have is laughable especially considering their pension of "losing" it or just flat out plotholing it from week to week. Its kind of like the Die Hard movies are getting. So over the top that you have to laugh but yet somehow still entertaining (at least I find Atlantis still entertaining...no where near how entertaining I found early Classic Stargate SG-1 but much better then later drek they called Stargate SG-1 or BSG.... so far)
                  Exactly. I wouldn't mind a bit of technobabble but the supertech they keep discovering then losing week by week is getting stupid and once against smacks of lazy writers who can't write anything better or more clever.

Comment

Ok, I enjoyed Be All My Sins Remember'd. It was an action packed episode with lots of explosions and I enjoy those. Fine, but that's about it.

I am however getting F-ING SICK AND TIRED of the amount of technobabble every single week on Atlantis. It seems to be getting worse and worse these past two years from episode to episode.

The amount of deus ex machina and wonderful Ancient tech mixed in with corny convenient plot elements was getting ridiculous by the end of the episode. It was laughable. In fact a friend of mine who's into SG but not hugely serious about it just ended up laughing by the end at just how much of a joke the "WRITING" was.

Of course I know the reason for all this. The Stargate writers can't write a clever well thought out plot, simple as that. To them,

a good episode = explosions + a 'dramatic' twist + lots of technobabble + last second beam out by an Earth ship.

Which is fine, Stargate is a bit of a superficial 'fun' show and that's cool, but regardless... please, writers.. use your brains for once instead of having McKay come up with his latest 'plan' or 'Ancient technology' every week.

a) There's no reason to attack the writers. Let's see you do something better. There's research required to make this stuff sound even halfway plausible, as well as to make sure it keeps with the mythology of the show. Just 'cause you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't good; it just isn't to your taste. Which brings me to

b) If you don't like technobabble, perhaps science fiction isn't the genre for you.
                    They say the geek never gets the girl...what about the girl getting the geek?

Rodney/Teyla...it could happen

spoilers for "200"
                    Spoiler:
                    Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Vala: Are you saying that General O'Neill is...

Cam: My daddy?

Comment

Actually, I rather liked the technobabble in this episode (but then, I am a Trek fan). Everything after the subspace stuff makes perfect scientific sense as far as I can remember. If the attractive force of the nanites can increase without bounds as long as nanites kept going into it, then it can theoretically overcome the degenerate pressures of electrons, then neutrons, eventually resulting in a singularity.

I've almost always understood the technobabble of Stargate (vs. Star Trek, where I didn't understand at all most of the time), and I always saw how it can realistically lead to the plot being resolved. I mean, I'm sure everyone can understand how a shockwave can provide a force that can compress the blob. On Trek, it's usually a whole string of nonsense followed by the solution. That...doesn't work as well.
                      Last edited by PG15; 08 January 2008, 07:35 PM.

Comment

I groaned when they mentioned the new "super kewl" Asguard beam weapons that conveniently turn up the episode they're required and can destroy a replicator ship with a few shots.

First it was the tablet that could locate all the Replicator ships one week, and now this.

Then there was the de-Wraith poison, the anti-Replicator 'forcefield', the hyperdrived Puddle jumper, the replicator maker/workstation, the underwater power-station etc etc etc...

All convenient episodic deux ex machinas that the writers think can make up for their inept ability to tell a good story without having the Daedalus beam the team up at the last second, or yet another 'allience with the enemy' or 'hunt for the incredible Ancient weapon'.

In fact those things I mentioned were mostly from this year on Atlantis, I won't go into all the amazing but convenient Ancient devices that surfaced every episode in the latter seasons of Stagate.

Comment

But surely you don't expect the show to stay stagnant in its technology?

Comment

Dont watch reruns of startrek the next generation, youll have a seizure then. There its always tech something tachyon other. Its a staple of the scifi genre, and its not like its a new thing. Maybe they should replace it with BSG style sex and hallucinating presidents?

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                              Dont watch reruns of startrek the next generation, youll have a seizure then.?* There its always tech something tachyon other.?* Its a staple of the scifi genre, and its not like its a new thing.?* Maybe they should replace it with BSG style sex and hallucinating presidents?
                              I know your joking but that would be a bad idea. There is a reason that BSG only lasted four season. Almost every scifi show has some form of technobable. At least I can understand it to a special degree. TNG was a lot worse and had way too much technobable.
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                              X