This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

StarGate production costs + donations

I'm just curious - What are the actual production costs for StarGate Atlantis? How much does the production team get for one entire season of Atlantis?

Reason I'm asking is because Atlantis has huge potential, and BAMSR showed that. Only problem is that the series has a limited budget, whereas SG-1 had a pretty big budget when it was over on that other channel before it moved to Sci-Fi, hence why the series seemed "bigger" somehow (And don't give me that crap about original stories, sinc that is true to some extent, but it had more to do with money which allowed for bigger props, graphics, more actors etc)

If Joe or anyone else affiliated with StarGate is reading this, isn't it about time that you started a website whereby people can donate to help this fantastic show? I want to see more special effects like that, and more stories like that. I want Atlantis going to Season 6 and beyond. I want more space battles and all that stuff. There's millions of Atlantis fans worldwide, so I'm sure a hell of a lot of them would be willing to give a little to keep this great series on the air. And who knows, it'll probably put StarGate at the forefront of a mini revolution where the public pays directly for what they want to watch, rather than channel execs telling us what we should be watching by cancelling such great shows, and keeping utter crap on our televisions. I'd rather watch Atlantis than crap like Lost

I know SG-1 was at about 2 million per episode. I am going to guess and say that SGA's production cost is like between 1.4 and 1.6 mil per an episode. Again, just guessing. I only know SG-1's most recent cost.
    sigpic

Comment

I don't have any figures, but I know Atlantis got a bigger budget this season from MGM.

Comment

I seriously doubt fan donations would be enough to create one episode let alone help an entire season. I think the production costs of an episode of Atlantis are around 1.5 to 2 million US dollars.

If you really want to support the show, buy the DVD's. That is the best way to support MGM as they pay the biggest amount of prodction fees and on top of that, if the show is cancelled then they will be the ones who fund movies.

sigpic

Comment

I hate to say it, and no offense, but this is a terrible idea. MGm/SciFi are HUGe corporations with tons of money. They don't need fan donations and it would be a legal nightmare for them anyway. What they need viewers. You're better off asking your friends and relatives to watch SGA, etc. etc.

Your money would be better spent on charities like Doctors Without Borders, one that David Hewlett likes.

Comment

You know, I'm starting to agree with you both above, since I didn't think one episode cost in the region of $2 million to make.

Thanks for the info. Buying the DVD's, getting new fans to watch, watching on TV etc, would probably be the best methods to keep this show on air.

Comment

When it comes to TV, best to DVR the show. At least then the people watching the DVR'ed show are actually counted instead of the ratings being estimates on what people with the Nelson box view. I think that's how it works out, so get your friends to DVR it and watch instead of live.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by skydragon786 View Post
                You know, I'm starting to agree with you both above, since I didn't think one episode cost in the region of $2 million to make.

Thanks for the info. Buying the DVD's, getting new fans to watch, watching on TV etc, would probably be the best methods to keep this show on air.
                Well "Rising" cost $4,000,000 and most eps probably around 1-2 mill. The CG heavy eps probably 1.7- 2.5 mill.
                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                  Well "Rising" cost $4,000,000 and most eps probably around 1-2 mill. The CG heavy eps probably 1.7- 2.5 mill.
                  you sure about this?
                  sigpic
                  The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                    you sure about this?
                    Which part?
                    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Which part?
                      lol sry I meant the part about the CGI heavy eps costing 1.7-2.5 mil
                      sigpic
                      The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                        you sure about this?
                        Which part?
                        Well yeah the episodes vary. For an example, Eps like Missing and Tabula Rasa, and Miller's Crossing cost them the least. I betcha "BAMSR" and the next one were on the more expensive list.
                        sigpic

Comment

It's illegal for production companies to accept donations like this.

Believe me, us Enterprise fans learned this the hard way.

Comment

Originally posted by skydragon786 View Post

Another method, not often mentioned. WRITE the advertisers. Even if you don't have plans to buy their products, be nice and tell them you saw their ad on Stargate Atlantis. They like to take note of that, and sometimes you get free coupons.

Comment

I'd like to know how much BAMSR cost, that must have been expensive, and not just for the CG either, there were quite a lot of guest appearances too.

Comment

Working...
                              X