The Official Thread For Fran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VastlySuperiorStuff View Post
    I don't know it that was supposed to be a poem, but it was a good one.

Anyway, I thought FRAN was a doll, (almost literally) and it was interesting to see the reactions of the crew. Carter's been down this road before- in fact she used the exact words Daniel used in Pretense- "self-awareness." But, did she forget Replicarter, Reese and Fifth? I thought that was strange. McKay gives her the "You wouldn't feel sorry about your bullets and your bombs," speech and then ends up having FRAN console him over her impending demise. Sheppard sees her for what she is but then takes off- who knows what he'd have thought if he'd been around her much longer. I'm glad they killed sweet FRAN on purpose because it puzzles me that the team still has a hard time believing attractive, pleasant, replicators aren't human.

Including the ones that look just like Weir.

I'd like to see FRAN back, though. She was terrific. The best suicide mission, ever, ever.
    yeah i know what you mean
    its a thought that i had while reading this thread
    so as far as a poem goes
    i guess you could call it an incidental one

and for the use of fran as a weapon i see mckays point
    she was just created for this purpose and none other moments before his presentaion
    now the other reps that your talking about were made to live and have lives unlike fran so i could see why carter didnt say anthing knowing her purpose

but it still brings up all the same old questions of moarllity and ethics we seem to see alot more of on atlantis

at the end of the day it was a great episode and i loved fran
    i hope they find a way for mcaky to bring her back

like zelenka saying "oh yeah didnt i tell you i copied her mind right before we blew the plant , yeah we can reproduce her anytime "

that would rock

thanks
    Avidffanimation YouTube | AvidffanFiction Youtube | AvidffanAlpha Youtube
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
      Have you ever heard someone, usually an old person, say something like "I've raised my children and seen my grandchildren. I'm content to die."?

The entire purpose of all biological beings is to procreate. Once we have successfully procreated and seen to it that our offspring survive (and in the case of some species also help protect the offspring of their offspring), we have completed our purpose and feel content to die if it can't be avoided.

FRAN was no different, she just had a different purpose than we do. Even though she had to die to complete that purpose, it made her happy to do so. Kinda like how a mother will die to protect her children, and die with a smile on her face if she succeeds.
      I dunno. Biological imperatives aside, I'd like to think there's more to life than just mere survival and making babies. There're lots of people who live happy and fulfilling lives and don't have children (and lots of people with children that die miserable). People can survive with a minimum of education flipping burgers at McDonald's, but most people want to go to college and get a well-paid job to buy TVs, video games, and material possessions for entertainment. Not to mention gather power, or prestige, or fame, or change the world, etc.

And Fran was not old and wizened with a long life stretched out behind her; that changes perspectives. She was like that kind of butterfly that only lives for a day, I think.

We humans in general want more, longer, and better, so we find it strange when someone (er...something?) is happy with her (short) lot in life. Even the other replicators wanted to make themselves better than their creators, something we as humans can understand. McKay expressed this confusion admirably.

Comment

Originally posted by IlluZen View Post
        I dunno. Biological imperatives aside, I'd like to think there's more to life than just mere survival and making babies.
        Nonononono. Not what makes you happy. What you are MEANT for. If you 'believe' in evolution then the answer is clear: all beings must pass on their genetic material. That is the single purpose (if you want to call it that) that we have.

If you don't like evolution, well, then it sucks to be you. But for all the hardcore literalist Christians out there, "Go Forth and Multiply".

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
          Nonononono. Not what makes you happy. What you are MEANT for. If you 'believe' in evolution then the answer is clear: all beings must pass on their genetic material. That is the single purpose (if you want to call it that) that we have.

If you don't like evolution, well, then it sucks to be you. But for all the hardcore literalist Christians out there, "Go Forth and Multiply".
          Evolution is a theory of how we came to be, not where we are going. And its a completely reactionary theory: it can't predict where we're going as a species, or what we were 'meant for,' because by that theory, we weren't meant for anything. We just exist for a set of specific reasons.

And there's a lot of gray space in between hardcore evolutionists and literalist Christians which you seem to be ignoring (buddhists, for example).

Comment

Offically save fran campaign http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...91#post7566591

show your support

I've never done this before so bear with me
            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by silkie View Post
              I liked her and I was grateful she wasn't blonde and blue-eyed...
              yes i agree with that
              also im glad they didnt try to make her look sexy or sleezy
              cos ive seem pics of the actress and she is sexy not sleezy
              Avidffanimation YouTube | AvidffanFiction Youtube | AvidffanAlpha Youtube
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                Offically save fran campaign http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...91#post7566591

show your support

I've never done this before so bear with me
                WOW! I didn't know there was a campaign to save F.R.AN... Thanks for teh info Atem

Comment

Working...
                X