No announcement yet.

Why is the Torchwood website blocked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To any people outside the UK who cannot view the site you're probably not missing much. Then again my view of Torchwood is rather subjective (I stopped watching it after about 3 episodes, I was not impressed. But hey, if you like it I won't stop you watching it (Or will I? ))
    The drums, the drums, the never ending drumbeat! Open me you human fool! Open the light and summon me and receive my majesty!

Comment

Thank you for sharing that with us.

Now, if anyone who *has* perused the site wants to tell us whether it's worth perusing or not, it'll be a post worth actually paying attention to.

Madeleine

Comment

If anyone absolutely must know what is on the website you can switch it to "text only" mode.
        It's run through an automated text html generator so it's not perfect link wise - probably because the site is a bit Flash happy.

Comment

Originally posted by ecchi View Post
          Sorry, you are saying that you don't believe we have to pay for the BBC???? Who do you think pays for it? The nice TV fairies???? Tell you what, next holiday you take abroad, take it to England, listen to all the moaning and whining that goes on about having to pay for the licence. Read a few court cases where people are taken to court and prosecuted for not paying it, etc..

And as to not believing that some US sites are totally blocked to non US citizens, go hire one of these companies who give you foreign IPs, them see how many are (usually they are sites that survive selling advertising to companies that trade in the US, but occasionally you come across things like movie sites that were set up to push a film that has not been released in the UK, that is comparable to the BBC site). Better still, get a European IP and pay the extra levy iTunes charge people simply because they are European. Or look at the way Americans can sell on all parts of all other countries eBay sites, but non Americans are banned from even looking at some parts of the eBay American site! You don't even need a non-American IP for that, just go read their rules on their various sites!!!!

In short, stop being a stereotypical American. I have enough problems defending Americans from my many American hating friends without people like you posting "I know nothing about life abroad, but I am American, so I'll make up what I like about foreigners and insist it is true" type posts.

I really hope all the conversations are not like this one (I am new). My mum is from the UK and my dad is american and I was raised in that states. I love both countries equally (mum never gave up her british citizenship) and cannot understand why there is so much animosity between people. I mean we all eat, crap and watch Torchwood the same way....

As for the page being blocked....what is actually there? Because loads of our official sites are sh**e here and not worth being upset over not being able to see...believe me. The same may be true for Torchwood...though I love the series!

Comment

Originally posted by mokievu View Post
            I really hope all the conversations are not like this one (I am new).
            Me too. But if people persist in being combative about something, there's always the Ignore feature- if you can't see the posts of the person trying to bait you then there's no danger of falling for their attempts. Peace will continue to reign in the thread: you'll be happy, the people around you will be happy, the mods will be happy that they don't have to interfere and hopefully the combative individual will go away.

My mum is from the UK and my dad is american and I was raised in that states. I love both countries equally (mum never gave up her british citizenship) and cannot understand why there is so much animosity between people. I mean we all eat, crap and watch Torchwood the same way....
            You'd think that'd be enough, wouldn't you? But that's people for you- whatever their nationality.

As for the page being blocked....what is actually there? Because loads of our official sites are sh**e here and not worth being upset over not being able to see...believe me. The same may be true for Torchwood...though I love the series!
            I think there are some videos (which Americans wouldn't be able to see, anyway) and someone earlier mentioned some kind of game thingy- which would probably also be blocked, but just being able to see the PICTURES would be nice. And get any sounds that might be available. It's useless, junky stuff, but I like it. I can access the pics on my phone, at least, so I was able to snag a pic of Ianto and another of Jack and John. But it'd be nice to be able to read the character bios and whatnot, too. Again, just junky filler stuff, but sometimes it's interesting. I do think last year's Torchwood site was more interesting (and fully accessible to non-UK'ers), but it could be that this year's site will be adding better stuff as the season progresses. Or not. *shrug* I just know that a snippet from the old site seemed to have some relevancy to the most recent ep and it's tiny things like that which, IMO, add to the Torchwood-watching experience and I'm sorry to be missing out on it just because the BBC has randomly decided to block one (and as far as I know ONLY one) of its dozens of subsites for no apparent reason. If it's because of exclusive content, fine, but why is EVERYTHING blocked, right down to the background image? Is TW so violently proprietary that even a group photo violates copyright laws? Is it because of a deal with BBCA? Then how come DW isn't as violently blocked when BBCA airs it, too? And I refuse to accept that it's all about the money the good folk of the UK pay for the privilege of getting BBC content because that would mean every last scrap on every single pixel of the BBC's many subsites would be blocked, not just one random show- and not even their biggest, most hypiest cult classic blockbuster show. It'd be like ABC allowing non-US fans to view the normal level of international access (barring vids and whatnot) for all their various shows- including Lost- but having a complete and total blackout on, say, Desperate Housewives. What would be the point? Why allow folks to download Lost wallpapers, read up on the bios of the folks in Boston Legal and catch up on the latest Grey's Anatomy gab, but then refuse to let folks see one pixel of data on Desperate Housewives?

Whatever. You're right- at least there's still the show itself to watch and love... but inconsistencies bother me. I like to know the why of things. *shrug* But hey, I'll survive.

Comment

The website is nothing special, i definitly prefer the Doctor Who to the Torchwood, and dont get me wrong i love Torchwood just as much as doctor who, but to be honest your not missing out on much, ok the games are fun and there some cool pictures and a bit of interesting background info (which im pretty sure is on wiki) but apart from that , meh

i supose its a privilige for us, British Public.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf View Post
                If anyone absolutely must know what is on the website you can switch it to "text only" mode.
                I have used the text only but it still blocks stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                  I have used the text only but it still blocks stuff.
                  Fully blocked, or does it just go nowhere?
                  I know most of the videos don't work, and some of the links (especially the actor pages, and the "next page") don't work properly, but it would be quite useful to know for future reference.
                  BTW, I found that although the direct link doesn't work (eg. the Downloads page), if it is linked from within the text of another page (eg. episode information) sometimes it does.

Mind you, the site isn't all that worthwhile without the video.

Comment

Working...
                  X