Why is the Torchwood website blocked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^
    And of course, outsiders will be retconned if they found out.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix View Post
      ^^
      And of course, outsiders will be retconned if they found out.
      Maybe that explains the nagging sense I've forgotten something...

Comment

Funding, facetiousness, or franchise, I'm annoyed that they have to alienate the rest of the world.

Also, for those wondering, I believe it has just been confirmed that S2 will air on BBC2 Jan 16.
        Last edited by Dusk; 02 January 2008, 06:49 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
          Maybe that explains the nagging sense I've forgotten something...
          Nah. That's just the senility.

*ducks the heron blow*
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magickalmama View Post
            Well, I want to know why I can access many, many pages of the BBC Doctor Who site (including some vids), but not any of the Torchwood website. That doesn't make any sense at all. Why one and not the other?
            My question excately.

Oh well at least I can still watch the show.

Comment

The reason is because we in the UK pay the equivalent of about $300 per year each to access the BBC services (TV, radio, and website), Not all that goes on the website obviously, but some does. If you want to access it, send money.

Although the BBC is experimenting with putting out a commercial website for the rest of the world. I think it is being tested in some European countries, if it is successful and they spread it out worldwide, and you will be able to access the site if you watch a pile of adverts first.
              My jokes site - http://www.homegrownlaughter.com - for great jokes

It has come to my notice that some people in this forum are using the letter A without having first obtained a licence. Be aware that the letter A is now a patented property, and continuing to use it without a licence will result in criminal prosecution. Please CLICK HERE for full details.

Comment

Originally posted by ecchi View Post
                The reason is because we in the UK pay the equivalent of about $300 per year each to access the BBC services (TV, radio, and website), Not all that goes on the website obviously, but some does. If you want to access it, send money.

Although the BBC is experimenting with putting out a commercial website for the rest of the world. I think it is being tested in some European countries, if it is successful and they spread it out worldwide, and you will be able to access the site if you watch a pile of adverts first.
                Although that still doesn't explain why the Torchwood website is blocked and the Doctor Who one isn't. If it all was completely blocked, that would make sense, but it's not.
                Reveling in my multi-shipper happy place...and drooling over Sheppard.

My SG-1 Fanfic (Atlantis fic coming soon)

Comment

Yes, it has to do with rights reasons if you are outside the UK. That is the message I got when I clicked on the links at the tope of the web page.
                  "It's a blast door"

Comment

*headdesk* Yes, obviously, but that doesn't explain why Torchwood is blocked and not, for a random example, Doctor Who. Rights, yes, experimental software, yes, but why Torchwood?? It's slick and popular, true, but I should think DW was the much bigger fish to prevent from frying. If it's a gods-given right (invested by the holy power of money) and a born-to privilege to be granted access to the almighty BBC's website, why not shut down the entire site from prying foreign eyes? And if it's just a matter of testing software before a bigger implementation, why choose Torchwood when Doctor Who has much more stuff to offer? Hell, the whole Adventure Calendar thing should have been blocked off from the rest of the world, especially since damn dirty foreigners should have no interest in an episode that won't be airing in their respective countries for quite a while (although I'm not sure what the Aussie airing schedule is like).

I mean, Torchwood, all that's being blocked right now are, what? Pictures and blurbs and a couple of trailers? DW has had audio and video snippets, pictures, sounds, games, and probably other things I'm forgetting. The comic maker is blocked, but everything else seems to be more or less wide open.

Whatever. I'm still willing to accept that it's because Torchwood is about sooper seekrit stuff and thus making its companion site sooper seekrit to non-Brits is an example of someone's bizarre sense of humor. The scenario amuses me and I don't really care if it has no basis in reality because it still works for me.

Maybe Torchwood is seen as more of a rising star than Doctor Who. Or maybe that upcoming recruitment thing is going to be some major mega development that'll blow the DW site out of the cyberwaters. Or maybe some BBC exec had a board set up and the dart just happened to land on Torchwood.

Oh and ecchi, I seriously doubt that if folks started sending money to the BBC they'd be granted magical access to the site.

Comment

Has anyone tried email-ing the BBC website?
                      If most of Doctor Who is open, it could be that someone has mistakenly tagged the entire Torchwood folder rather than just the relevant pages.

Admittedly it's not much of a conspiracy theory.

Comment

Here's the most obvious question. Can one view episodes from the site itself?

Comment

Originally posted by magickalmama View Post
                          Although that still doesn't explain why the Torchwood website is blocked and the Doctor Who one isn't. If it all was completely blocked, that would make sense, but it's not.
                          I thought the whole BBC site was blocked, we are told over here that it is!

Has anyone tried email-ing the BBC website?
                          If most of Doctor Who is open, it could be that someone has mistakenly tagged the entire Torchwood folder rather than just the relevant pages
                          I would advise against it. Since the BBC site is supposed to be entirely unavailable outside the UK (except in the "advertising test area") you may find that bringing it to their attention will simply get the Dr Who site blocked too.

Oh and ecchi, I seriously doubt that if folks started sending money to the BBC they'd be granted magical access to the site.
                          Yes, I was joking when I said "send money"!!!!!

it has to do with rights reasons if you are outside the UK.
                          But I thought that in the USA the show was carried by BBC America, so there is no rights issue? And magickalmama said that the DR Who site is accessible, which is carried by The Sci-Fi Channel, so it would make more sense the other way round (if the Dr Who site was blocked and the Torchwood site was accessible).
                          My jokes site - http://www.homegrownlaughter.com - for great jokes

It has come to my notice that some people in this forum are using the letter A without having first obtained a licence. Be aware that the letter A is now a patented property, and continuing to use it without a licence will result in criminal prosecution. Please CLICK HERE for full details.

Comment

Hell, no! And I think only the most wistful among us would expect that. But I don't think the grievances are about not watching eps (which is pretty much expected) but not being able to view any content, no matter how benign.

But I thought that in the USA the show was carried by BBC America, so there is no rights issue?
                            It's still a first air rights thing, I think, and they probably want Americans to visit the BBCA site for the US side of things. Not sure if that's true or if it makes any sense, but that's all I can come up with. *shrug*

I'd be curious to know how much of SCIFI's site is blocked to non-Americans. I think general comments so far have indicated that everything is available except for ep viewing. Which is probably another reason some folks don't understand the BBC's heavy-handed blockage of the Torchwood site. Even disregarding the fact that it's only the TW site that's blocked, the very fact that it's blocked when other countries aren't as restrictive is raising questions. Or at least I know I'm curious. Is it just a money issue or what?

Comment

I absolutely love the BBC Doctor Who site- it's easily one of, if not the best "official" site for a show out there. The BBC does a GREAT job with it! And I'm sure we foreigners are all very grateful for the access- I was shocked to find that I could watch all of the Adventure videos on there!

*cough* unlike, say.....CBC's Doctor Who site which decent enough, but has now completely disappeared.

So it's too bad we don't get to see the Torchwood one. I find the BBC America one rather underwhelming, and CBC doesn't even have one.

Comment

I thought the whole BBC site was blocked, we are told over here that it is!

I would advise against it. Since the BBC site is supposed to be entirely unavailable outside the UK (except in the "advertising test area") you may find that bringing it to their attention will simply get the Dr Who site blocked too.
                                It's not supposed to be unavailable - the first line of the T&C talks about provision of the site both in the UK and internationally.
                                The BBC website is set up in much the same way as, say, the NBC website - certain rights protected material will be unavailable.

But I thought that in the USA the show was carried by BBC America, so there is no rights issue? And magickalmama said that the DR Who site is accessible, which is carried by The Sci-Fi Channel, so it would make more sense the other way round (if the Dr Who site was blocked and the Torchwood site was accessible).
                                It's worth pointing out that BBC America is a separate entity from the BBC itself - it is run by the commercial arm of the BBC. Shows on BBC America are bought in the same way as Sci Fi would buy them.
                                Not anymore. There's a new service called iPlayer which allows viewing of previously broadcast shows.

Comment

Working...
                                X