Why is the Torchwood website blocked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is the Torchwood website blocked?

Only U.K. based people can view the webpage, how stupid! What is the pathetic reason for this? Viewing episodes online at U.S. sites I can understand them being blocked, but this is just a text and images page, and it's blocked!

What's on there Brits? This Aussie wants to know please.
    sigpic

You think they'll tell us? Pfft! It's all a big conspiracy! Just another way for those damn Brits to lord their supposed superiority over the rest of us by refusing to share the goodies.

(and yes, I'm being facetious)

I wonder if those IP masking things would work...

Comment

You really wanna know?

sigpic

Comment

Bwah! I couldn't resist... I had to click on the Jobs link and see what it said...

sigpic

Comment

Isn't it just cos it's a BBC thing? I was on BBC news for Children in need (part of a very large crowd!!!) which was shown on the BBC www, but my friends out of the country couldn't log on to see the footage. I think it's a TV licence thing. We don't have to show our Brit superiority like this. We just take it for granted that we're the best and that everyone knows that already. (and yes, I'm being facetious too)

Comment

Originally posted by CassandraSGA View Post
            Isn't it just cos it's a BBC thing? I was on BBC news for Children in need (part of a very large crowd!!!) which was shown on the BBC www, but my friends out of the country couldn't log on to see the footage. I think it's a TV licence thing. We don't have to show our Brit superiority like this. We just take it for granted that we're the best and that everyone knows that already. (and yes, I'm being facetious too)
            I think the reason you can't download or watch episodes etc online outside of the UK is for reasons to do with the licence - as obviously those outside of the UK don't pay the licence fee which supports the BBC and allows such programmes to be made - however, it seems silly not to be able to access the website at all from outside of the UK. I mean, I can read e.g. SciFi's official websites on SGA or shows like the Dresden files but can't watch episodes online, which US folks have the option to do. But I can access and enjoy the rest of the website...
            sigpic

Comment

I'm very curious about that jobs link, because if they suddenly start recruiting I'm gonna have to find a way to join, even if I'm a Damn Yank.

Also, I can understand not being able to watch the eps online (or at least I've come to expect it), but the entire site is inaccessible to non-Brits. No news, no team info, no wallpapaers, no jobs, nothing. Heck, I can't even get that home page background pic to load. I've found a few loopholes, but they're a bit restrictive in what they'll allow me to bypass, so it's a good thing I can see the trailers elsewhere and don't want any wallpapers. And yeah, it IS a bit silly.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                I'm very curious about that jobs link, because if they suddenly start recruiting I'm gonna have to find a way to join, even if I'm a Damn Yank.

Also, I can understand not being able to watch the eps online (or at least I've come to expect it), but the entire site is inaccessible to non-Brits. No news, no team info, no wallpapaers, no jobs, nothing. Heck, I can't even get that home page background pic to load. I've found a few loopholes, but they're a bit restrictive in what they'll allow me to bypass, so it's a good thing I can see the trailers elsewhere and don't want any wallpapers. And yeah, it IS a bit silly.
                I'm thinking the jobs thing, particularly with the "we may be recruiting in January" thing (and Season 2 starting in January) will turn out to be some kind of fan membership/fan advertising/promote the show type campaigny thingy rather like MGM tried to do with Stargate this season?
                sigpic

Comment

To be fair, the website is funded by the license fee as well IIRC, and opening up the website to anyone wordwide would certainly bump up the maintenance costs, cutting into the funds which we brits are supplying.
                  Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                  - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by The Signal View Post
                    To be fair, the website is funded by the license fee as well IIRC, and opening up the website to anyone wordwide would certainly bump up the maintenance costs, cutting into the funds which we brits are supplying.
                    True. I guess I can see the reasoning there... although, conversely, surely the Beeb makes money selling the show to other countries? (And thus allowing viewers from other countries to see the show website would be beneficial from a marketing perspective? Or would they rather let e.g. SciFi Channel (is that who airs Doctor Who stuff in the US?) set up their own Torchwood/Doctor Who web pages for their viewers?) Mind you, is Torchwood even sold outside the UK yet? Anyone?

It's easy to forget sometimes that the Beeb's situation is somewhat unique compared to other networks and the funding issue can have some odd consequences.
                    sigpic

Comment

It depends on how much the BBC makes from selling the shows abroad (yes, by the way, Torchwood has been sold). Without knowing the details of the contract with various overseas networks (Sci-fi in the US for example), it's a lot of speculation, but seeing as those networks have adverts on their sites, I wouldn't be surprised if they had to do things this way, because access to the UK sites would reduce traffic, and as a result, income from advertising, for the other networks.
                      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Well, I want to know why I can access many, many pages of the BBC Doctor Who site (including some vids), but not any of the Torchwood website. That doesn't make any sense at all. Why one and not the other?
                        Reveling in my multi-shipper happy place...and drooling over Sheppard.

My SG-1 Fanfic (Atlantis fic coming soon)

Comment

In response to an earlier question. Sci-Fi has not aired Torchwood yet, although BBCA has apparently done it, or is going to.

Comment

Originally posted by magickalmama View Post
                            Well, I want to know why I can access many, many pages of the BBC Doctor Who site (including some vids), but not any of the Torchwood website. That doesn't make any sense at all. Why one and not the other?
                            Because it's Torchwood; separate from the government, outside the police, beyond the UN, etc.

As for the recruitment thing, I sincerely doubt that BBC is as moronic as MGM when it comes to promotion scams. Signing up for some kind of fan club, maybe, but I doubt that there'll be legions of "Woodies" running around spamming the bloody hell out of Torchwood sites reminding people to watch. At least, I devoutly hope that isn't going to happen. But I wouldn't mind the fan clubby angle. Or something like the wild goose chase NBC has for Heroes fans, although on that score I'll probably be SOL since I can't find a loophole for my mobile.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                              Because it's Torchwood; separate from the government, outside the police, beyond the UN, etc.
                              Damn, I forgot about that! And it must be because it's such a super secret organization.
                              Reveling in my multi-shipper happy place...and drooling over Sheppard.

My SG-1 Fanfic (Atlantis fic coming soon)

Comment

Working...
                              X