• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voyage of the Damned (2007)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SPECIAL:
    VOYAGE OF THE DAMNED
    EPISODE NUMBER - 2914 (314)

The Doctor finds himself on board the Titanic, an interstellar luxury liner paying a visit to Earth -- and must save everyone on board when the vessel begins to plummet into the atmosphere.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:14 PM.

that episode was not bad actually, although i wanted like a dalek or something to pop out of the mist but no we get a cyborg.. o well
    sigpic

Comment

My first thought was Davros... But, ah well.

Comment

What did they do to the theme tune?! That was unbelievably bad (the tune I mean not the ep).

I liked the episode though, why if the TARDIS was hurtling towards Earth it would randomly land neatly in London I don't know, also how did he find it when he got there?

A million pounds? That wont buy you a house in London.

I found it truly hilarious that the people of London have finally worked out that spending Christmas in London is a dangerous idea and the fact that at least one British queen likes the Doctor.

All in all I thought it was a great episode, very surprised by the huge death toll, though I thought the end was a bit too cheesy.

Also I loved the bit with Astrid in London, that's what Who's been missing the sense off utter wonderment. Astrid would have made a great companion, I'm still not to keen on the idea of Donna returning and the advert didn't improve my opinion of her.

Comment

Ok, to repost what I said in the thread I started and that Darren closed, which is fair enough.

Well Gene Hackman's out of a job now. Did anyone else spot the similarities to The Posidon Adventure?

Well to start with Manny Rosen/Mr Copper, Susan Shelby/Astrid

Was anyone else dissapointed that she wasn't the Tardis after all or did I miss something

Carrying on from where I left off Foon Van Hoff/Belle Rosen, Mad the same sacrifice too bless her, although Shelley Winters was more believable,

Can't see what Rickman Thing and Ernest Borgnine's Mike Rogo have in common tho

All in all I loved it, the Hosts were't that scarey and who else yelled DAVROS!!!!!!!!!!! when they saw Max Capricorn. I do hope they bring back Midshipman Frame but it was a great send up of the Posidon Adventure

Oh and if someone else has started another thread while I've been typing this feel free to merge it Mods

Comment

I shall copy across my thoughts from the thread I started whilst too impatient to wait for the official thread!

Hubby wasn't overly impressed but I rather enjoyed it. Definitely rather darker than previous Christmas eps, which usually tend to be at least a bit lighter. Sure racked up the body count in this one - with the good guys/nice people dropping like flies.

And I was surprised at what happened to Astrid. I thought I'd read they would be interested in possibly having her back at some future point? Doesn't look like that's much of an option right now. Definitely an angsty one for the Dr.. seriously, poor old 10 isn't having a great time of it lately is he? Losing companions/friends by the bucketload.

Definite roots in the Poseidon Adventure on this one, which RTD freely admits, and I liked the concept. Lots of nice character moments too and some great funny lines. DT, as ever, rocked and Kylie was very likeable as Astrid. Some of it was pure cheese - the near miss on Bukcingham Palace and the Queen in her curlers, for goodness's sake! - but enjoyably so.

And the Season 4 trailer at the end looked AWESOME - I seriously need to go rewatch that.
            sigpic

Comment

OK...

1. Not sure what to make of the remixed themetune. Nephew liked it, reminded me of 80s footage on Youtube!

2. Now we have the story of how the Titanic came to be in Earth orbit! Fair enough idea - Earth's clearly been infiltrated enough times so that most races out there know 'something' about it!

3. No major Earth characters whatsoever! Interesting change though it also meant that only the Doctor was garanteed to survive!

4. Kylie got given a place in the opening credits yet Astrid wasn't any bigger a player than Mr Copper! OK, the Doctor 'would' have given her a spot on board the Tardis if given the chance but unless you've been in cyro for several months you'd have known than another character would have become his long term companion!

Overall - very good idea, felt a lot more like a regular ep though - unlike last year which was clearly played for laughs!
              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
                OK...

4. Kylie got given a place in the opening credits yet Astrid wasn't any bigger a player than Mr Copper! OK, the Doctor 'would' have given her a spot on board the Tardis if given the chance but unless you've been in cyro for several months you'd have known than another character would have become his long term companion!
                Catherine Tate got her name in the credits last year and John Barrowman got his name up there last series too and he was only there for 3 eps, it must be a big guest star/companion thing

Comment

I felt that this wasn't as good as I was expecting but that probably due to the extra media hype surrounding Kylie, so I'll rewatch it and see what I think then.

But have to say I love the new theme music awesome
                  A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

I knew the name Astrid Peth was just a coincidence. Alot of people kept speculating that because her name meant 'Part TARDIS' (Astrid being a anagram of TARDIS and Peth translating into 'Part' in some language) that she would end up being one of the human form TARDIS's that was often spoken of in the classic series.

I was dissapointed that it had more similarities to the Poseidon Adventure rather then Titanic. Was anyone else just hoping that the Titanic would land on water or was it just me? LOL

I really thought that Astrid, Bannakaffalatta and the 'well stuffed' couple would survive.

Rather dissapointed that the Heavenly Host's weren't really Axons.

I didnt like the altered intro theme or the ending credits one bit. Should not have messed with them.

But a pleasent and well needed change from previous christmas episodes.

8.5/10
                    Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

Overall I did like it.

I was disappointed how everyone pretty much died, as if the Doctor couldn't do anything right with a companion around. I did think it was a let down for the Doctor to give this impressive speech about being over 900 years old, a time lord, from galifrey and going to save everyone yet all he did was save the Earth and some old fart along with some guy who's ego was the size of the ship. The Doctor was great though. I really enjoyed "take me to your leader. i've always wanted to say that" and his reference to Hitchhikers Guide when he used the number 42 as a possible override number.

In all it was a good episode. Nice to see that people have figured out London is a disaster area just waiting to happen at christmas. I thought that bit really made a lot of sense and it's got to be something I don't think anyone could have considered. It does open the possibility of next years christmas special not happening at christmas or at London if they've made so much bad stuff happen there at christmas that everyone decides to leave.

Shame about Kylie's character, but I do see some potential there for a future return if they ever decide it. She was definitely more enjoyable to watch that Catherine Tate.

I must say though that I was disappointed that Bannakaffalatta wasn't played by Warrick Davis. I saw the character and thought it would have been a good role for him as he's been everything from a ewok, to a magic using human/goblin (if I know my Harry Potter) to a robot, an evil leprechaun, to a magic using hero out to save the world, and even a secret agent and while I don't want to take anything away from Jimmy Vee, I just saw the character and thought Davis would have been great.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                        I was disappointed how everyone pretty much died, as if the Doctor couldn't do anything right with a companion around. I did think it was a let down for the Doctor to give this impressive speech about being over 900 years old, a time lord, from galifrey and going to save everyone yet all he did was save the Earth and some old fart along with some guy who's ego was the size of the ship.
                        I'm wondering if that is actually something of an intentional homage to The Poseidon Adventure as it does rather mirror the events of that film.

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                        I must say though that I was disappointed that Bannakaffalatta wasn't played by Warrick Davis. I saw the character and thought it would have been a good role for him as he's been everything from a ewok, to a magic using human/goblin (if I know my Harry Potter) to a robot, an evil leprechaun, to a magic using hero out to save the world, and even a secret agent and while I don't want to take anything away from Jimmy Vee, I just saw the character and thought Davis would have been great.
                        Jimmy Vee has played a lot of roles in the new seasons of Dr Who including The Moxx of Balhoon in The End of World, the Space Pig in Aliens of London/Word War III and the Graske in the interactive episode Attack Of The Graske. He's also played the Graske and a baby Slitheen in episodes of The Sarah Jane Adventures.
                        sigpic

Comment

Another Douglas Adams reference was the ship itself. DNA wrote about the Starship Titanic - shich suffered a Spontaneous Massive Existence Failure in Life The Universe and Everything. And also wrote a very annoying PC game called Starship Titanic. Terry Jones later wrote a novel called Starship Titanic, based on DNA's idea. He notably insisted on writing it completely in the nude. Such is the Monty Python mind...!

Voyage Of The Damned doesn't play off any of those ideas, but is nice and festive, in a Poseidon Adventure - everybody crying at all the sacrifices - sort of way. A good weepy slaughter movie is what Christmas is all about.

Loved Astrid. I wonder if the name may have relevance. Be nice to have her back.

J.
                          Last edited by jajwhite; 26 December 2007, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
                            But have to say I love the new theme music awesome
                            Amen!

I loved the ep as well, I think that in order to keep people watching they have to try new things, and in this case it was having the Xmas special set in space rather than on Earth like the two previous specials - and I loved every second of it.
                            I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                            Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Like last year's, I watched it through enough wine and chocolate to have loved it no matter what. I expect I'll watch it again some time and produce a more analytical response.

Clive Swift was the best bit, with his fabulous stories of the horrors of Christmas.

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                              X