Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Voyage of the Damned (2914/314)

Quote Originally Posted by jajwhite View Post
    Another Douglas Adams reference was the ship itself. DNA wrote about the Starship Titanic - shich suffered a Spontaneous Massive Existence Failure in Life The Universe and Everything. And also wrote a very annoying PC game called Starship Titanic. Terry Jones later wrote a novel called Starship Titanic, based on DNA's idea. He notably insisted on writing it completely in the nude. Such is the Monty Python mind...!
    I've read the book and very good it is too but then I love everything by Douglas Adams and there is a pic of Terry Jones, in the nude (Bits covered by a typewriter) on the back cover. I noticed the '42' reference too

Voyage Of The Damned doesn't play off any of those ideas, but is nice and festive, in a Poseidon Adventure - everybody crying at all the sacrifices - sort of way. A good weepy slaughter movie is what Christmas is all about.
    J.
    Oh yeah, gotta have mindless slaughter on Christmas Day
    Quote Originally Posted by Missster.Freeman View Post
    Not too bad. It's been a while since I last watched the Poseidon Adventure. There were some scenes I did not remember seeing the last time around.

So, Astrid wasn't the TARDIS after all. I kept waiting and waiting for Astrid to finally reveal her true self. Kylie was good though and so were Ernest Borgnine and Shelley Winters. The old boy was likeable - it was nice to see him have a happy ending.
    I thought Shelley Winters and Ernest Borgnine did it better, Clive Swift (Almost called him Richard then) even looked like Manny Rosen from the film, the way he looked after Astrid/Susan Shelby and DT looks better in a Tux than Gene Hackman

DT was awesome, yet again, in his Tux and Gutties. He's never really had an off-day as the Doctor and while I don't mind if and when he moves on to other roles, he will most definitely be missed.

What else? Oh yeah, I too thought Davros was about to appear out of the mist.

I have to say, the fast pacing and the noise was there again and I still find it to be distracting. We had to hit reverse on the video remote a few times to catch pieces of dialogue that we missed. Doctor Who definitely calls for a rewatch or three to catch bits that have been missed. Which is no bad thing, imo.

Still, it's good to have the Doctor on the telly at Christmas and long may it continue. It beats watching reruns of foosty old films and shows.
    Hear hear

I've got to get it onto disc at some point so another watch is on the cards. I have to admit the 'Lift' up from the Heavenly hosts was very cheesey even more cheesey than the end of the last series when he did his coming-back-from-the-Gollum bit in LotTL

Nice, cosy, has a fireplace and lots of books.

I have to say after finally watching the entire episode. It was pretty good.

After some time, I found Astrid to be sort of annoying. Mr Copper was the best character I think in the episode. He had personality that Astrid did not have esp the things he said about Earth customs.

The Heavenly Hosts were creepy esp when one said "You are all going to die."

For once, London was evacuated on Christmas. After all this, finally people noticed.

I noticed the mentions of Cyborgs that haven't appeared before. Interesting.

Another bonus in this ep: no mechanical Santas. Let's just hope the Heavenly Hosts don't return next year, though. They're a nice one-off, but enough is enough. Although I still want some of those Halos of Doom.

Nice, cosy, has a fireplace and lots of books.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowMaat View Post
    Another bonus in this ep: no mechanical Santas. Let's just hope the Heavenly Hosts don't return next year, though. They're a nice one-off, but enough is enough. Although I still want some of those Halos of Doom.
    No Robot Santas or Killer Christmas Trees, very true.

Quote Originally Posted by Reefgirl View Post
    I have to admit the 'Lift' up from the Heavenly hosts was very cheesey even more cheesey than the end of the last series when he did his coming-back-from-the-Gollum bit in LotTL
    I admit that bugged me a little because it was kinda badly done... it was very obvious that the hosts were not remotely bearing his weight - they were simply standing on an FX stage with their arms linked. If they'd just made a teeeeeny bit of an effort to make it lookeven slightly realistic I would have been a lot happier. The FX in general were very good but that bit was just cheesy and badly done.

Very disappointing.

For starters the part in the middle where everyone gets killed completely destroyed the suspense, it didn't help that I didnt particularly care about any of them as they hadn't been around long enough. When the woman killed herself was horrible. Much more could have been made of her fighting on despite her loss. Its horrifically bleak to have her kill herself like that.

Killing off so many characters in exactly the same way was incredibly lazy. Max, Astrid, the married couple all died in the same way, using the same FX shot with different people pasted it. Lazy, and yawnsome.

There were a couple of good moments. The mixed-up earth history was mildly amusing, as was the three questions scene. Kylie was for the most part a good guest star, fairly well acted. The slowmotion Doctor shot with all the explosions was cool, or would have been if it wasn't for me being on the verge of giving up entirely by that point.

Astrid was boring, I really was hoping for some proper awesome development. Part of the Tardis would have been great. The character was likeable enough, but it all went no where. After everyone elses death hers felt empty. Scenes that should have been charged with emotion instead left me apathetic. Oh Great, she's dead.
    And how come there wasn't enough power to reconstitute her but teleport the Doctor and old man away? Okay that could be explained by some technoguff about the reconstruction process being a massive consumer of power, but that doesn't really work. If that was the case, reconstructing anyone who teleports would take the same power.
    And! If she was being reconstructed from the memory banks how come she was "falling"? I have a vague rememberence that there might have been a line that said the wristband was where the memory was stored, but surely it would have been destroyed and I'm not convinced that made sense anyway.
    At the rate he's losing companions maybe he really wold be best off on his own! If I were him I'd definately take a few years off anyway!

The bad guys and plan was terrible. The "Hosts" were just Autons in contumes, and had the voices of the Ood! Surely it wouldn't have been too much trouble to get someone else to to the voice, or at least have the guy change it a bit. Max was a moron, a boring useless villian that was basically a terrible version of Davros. I would have LOVED Davros to roll out. The forklit truck conclusion was weak. Why didn't he just order the hosts to help? Telling them to execute Astrid and the Doctor, or rescue him with their flying? A disappointing climax to say the least.

There was also a bad taste left since all the good characters encountered by the Doctor were killed (except the guy who faffed about on the bridge the whole time) and the criminal (all be it a likeable chap, but he did commit fraud) and smarmy business prat survive.

The Queen gag made me laugh, but not with it, at it. A true shark-jumping moment if ever I saw it.

Where did this secondary engine come from, how come no one, not even the guy on the bridge thought of it? Surely the ship's emergacy second engine isn't just able to be started with heat from reentry? That's cutting it a little fine! Any even vaguely intelligent design would have it able to be started very simply in event of primary failure. Come to think of it why didn't Max sabotage that engine too?

For a christmas special it was pretty dark and depressing. Runaway Bride was dark certainly in places, but this was so bleak. The overal message seemed to be "good people suffer, and in the end bad people (more businessman) always prosper." What kind of cheery christmas message is that?

The cheesy elements ranged from aweful to passable. The Angels flight might have been cool if the SFX hadn't looked so poor. £1,000,000 wouldn't go far at all in London, he'll be lucky to get a 12 x 12 cupboard to live in. If he doesn't appear later having done something exceptionally evil with his money I'll be disappointed, I had the feeling that all his niceness was a front. If kind of imagine him as a retired conman having escaped prison to lie low on the ship while executing his last big score....

This episode was everything I don't like about Russell T Davis, it wasn't nearly as funny as he thought it was. The writing was lazy, rolling out all the old cliches and not doing adding any fresh twist on them. Full of nonsense leaps of logic. The solutions, once again pure deus ex machina. I can't wait for him to hand over the reigns to someone else.

New theme, on first listen was a bit blah, why change it? It was great already. I suspect the answer might be so that for the S4 soundtrack they have some shiny new music to put on it rather than a repeat of the theme that people already have from previous soundtracks. Cynical I know, but that's the mood this ep put me in.

I think that this ties with the New York part one last season for my most hated episode ever.

The S4 trailer though was good, my fav part of the episode, that and the Torchwood trailer afterwards.
    I'm A Leaf On The Wind...Watch How I Soar

Who did the voice of the Heavenly Host? Sounded very familiar. Ahh, the Ood Voice (among other things). Knew I knew it from somewhere.
    Nope... sorry to say that you're mistaken here. The Ood were voiced by Silas Carson (Ki Andi Mundi from the Star Wars Prequels). The Host were voiced by either Colin McFarlane or Ewan Bailey, who were the only "alien voices" listed in the credits.
    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
    BAD WOLF!!!

Ahhh... I see where I went wrong. I saw that The Host was played by Paul Kasey and it never even crossed my mind that they meant the physical Host (and physical Ood) and that the Voices were separate. *hangs head* Ah well. Still sounded familiar. Kept wanting it to be a computer's voice from somewhere, but even that's wrong. Sigh. That happens to me more often than it should...

is it just me or were the hosts total rip offs of the "robots of death" from the old tom baker story?
    Spoiler:
    Disclaimer:
    I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
    Quotes!
    - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
    - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
    - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
    STARGAvaTarIII
    http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k4...0137376zj2.png

Chief Master Sergeant

Not very favorably impressed with this episode, and that is in keeping with many of the recent episodes.

As someone noted above, too many characters in such a short time, and as such we don't get to know them and therefore cannot relate to them when they get into trouble (and die.)

The references to previous works (P. Adventure, Doug Adams, etc.) are cute, but not enough upon which to build a good show.

Dr. Who in recent times is overly formulaic - the Doctor as Savior in 38 minutes or less. Doctor runs through his three tools - sonic screwdriver, psychic paper, and his uttering some magic protocol (in this case "one".)

Etc.....

Most hated line and inference:

"I travel alone. It's best that way."

GRRRR. The Doctor is sexist, he only wants to travel with women and girly men. Mr Copper would have been fun for at least a few eps! Where are the straight male companions?? Why not have 3 TARDIS travelers instead of the humdrum 2?

This special is the weaker of the 3. Very silly in parts, and that's saying something for the usually camp Doctor Who!

I'm more interested in Torchwood Season 2 than Doctor Who Season 4.

It bothered me that the Doctor wasn't willing to at least drop him off somewhere and I agree about Copper being good for a couple of eps. The Doctor could have helped to straighten out his understanding of Earth culture and history.

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarIII View Post
    is it just me or were the hosts total rip offs of the "robots of death" from the old tom baker story?
    Nah, more like the Axons

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk View Post

GRRRR. The Doctor is sexist, he only wants to travel with women and girly men. Mr Copper would have been fun for at least a few eps! Where are the straight male companions?? Why not have 3 TARDIS travelers instead of the humdrum 2?

This special is the weaker of the 3. Very silly in parts, and that's saying something for the usually camp Doctor Who!

I'm more interested in Torchwood Season 2 than Doctor Who Season 4.
    I didn't read it like that. I thought it was his reaction for losing Astrid - he already planned she'd be his next companion - and then she died, and, much liek after Rose, he probabyl decided that right now he doesn't want a companion - no one to risk but himself, no one to get attached to that would end up leaving him, like Martha and Jack jsut did, actually.

It's a shame tho. I'm looking forward to Donna as companio, but he was such a lovely silly old man,. and what a change it could have made to make him a companion!

Mmmm. As for my toughts on Voyage of the Damned. it might still change - I'm planning on rewatching today, and I know my second view opinion of Runaway Bride and Last of the Time Lords changed a lot with the second time.
    But after the first view, yesterday... It was a fun episode, silly, cheesy and camp, light entertainment at its best - and lacked depth.
    RTD went for big. USA big, sort of way. Granted, he didn't fall even half as hard as other productions who fall into thaty trap (doing my best not to look at Stargate and Ark of Truth at this point...) but he lost his biggest strength in Doctor Who - the human angle. The story didn't really touch me.
    As for casting - I haev to admit I enjoyed all of the characters... with the exception of Astid. And yes, I blame the casting of Kylie Minogue on this. I'd have said something about her being a much better singer than actress but TBH, I'm not a big fan of hers as a singer, either. But she's just an average actress. Which stands out for miles in Doctor Who, where all the other characters are brilliantly cast. So, as a result, I didn't really feel for her - which might have ruined a bit the experience for me.
    The rest of the characters were entertaining... the set up was silly and fun. Again, as I said, I don't care much for the big and flashy - whether it's Doctor ho, Stargate - or Stardust, actually, which I thought lost the best part of the book by making it grand and flashy, but as big adn flashy things go, this is the way to go. I still think the best Christmas special was the christmas Invasion. Less flash, more substance.
    I'll refrain from commenting about the Christian imagery

Mmm. what esle, what else... The Christmas traiditons! ha! Hilarious. As was the part where al of London's inhabitants have deserted it after the two last Christmas(es?).... The Host were brilliant! As was the bit with the questions. "Can I start again?" "Information: No." hehehe.

sigh - bring on series 4! Well, Torchwood's second series, then season 4!
    Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
    Yes, I am!
    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
    Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
    Peter Pan R.I.P

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk View Post

You're totally not getting it. If Astrid had survived, he would have welcomed Mr. Copper on board. The reason he's back in "I travel alone" mode is because Astrid died. He promised to save her, but she died. And she didn't just die at random... she died for him... because of him. He's been made gun shy by loss again, like he was when he met Martha.
    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
    BAD WOLF!!!

It reminded Poseidon movie but I honestly don´t care since it was better than the last Peterson´s Poseidon movie It was sad, thought.
    I think I wouldn´t mind if the Special were a little longer because killing of two characters after 20 minutes didn´t make me to feel sorry for them. But all characters were very likeable and I liked them all.
    But, I was sorry later Especially for Astrid. It was really sad. But I think it would be unusual for her to stay, and doctor has always companions from Earth.
    I loved the lines this year. I enjoyed a bit more than a Bride last year, even bc of xmas atmosphere (last year was very obvious the hot summer). I think his "I am the Doctor, a Timelord from Gallifrey..." was amazing line, then "Information: You are all going to die." or "42" and the queen! "Thank you doctor and happy Christmas" Those were good.
    David looked hot! I can´t say I think about him as about hot and sexy, but he looked so great. He looked like James Bond in some places, especially with the burning ship behind his back

I was a bit worried about Kylie Minogue but she was fine. She didn´t try to prove "I can act, too!" but was nice and likeable. To bad we didn´t have a chance to know her Astrid better.

I didn´t get the point in the end about the bad guy. It was obvious who is it so...it wasn´t meant to suprise us or it was just bad written?

I like the new credits and music. CGI were also great.

I can´t wait S4, and what I saw in the trailer, it looks great. And I really like Donna, so I am not worried as I was in S3.

In the meantime, Torchwood!
    http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2...user6gpaw9.gif

"No dictator, no invader, can hold an imprisoned population by the force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power governments, and tyrants, and armies can not stand." - G´Kar, Babylon 5

Great fun ep! Though I ended up watching half yesterday morning, and half yesterday afternoon- blame boxing day sales! So I really need to sit down and watch it all at once.

Loved Mr. Copper- I hope we see him again some time. It was a little darker than I expected but overall a very good Christmas special- best one yet. Though the queen made me roll my eyes. I loved the part where Mr. Copper was explaining about Christmas. There were definitely some good laughs in this one. And the people of London got smart! Yay them!

And the new theme music! I am absolutely in love with it, probably listened a couple dozen times by now. Wow. I think I like it even better than the previous one!

Quote Originally Posted by Klenotka View Post
    I was a bit worried about Kylie Minogue but she was fine. She didn´t try to prove "I can act, too!" but was nice and likeable. To bad we didn´t have a chance to know her Astrid better.
    As an older person on this thread let me point out that Kylie was an actress long before her singing career took over and can I also say that Dr Who must have one hell of a reputation to get her back on screen after 20 years

I was LMAO when Astrid grabbed the first aid kit so she could stand on it and kiss the Doctor. The kissing thing itself was a bit tacky, but as a short person I did appreciate the humor of the height difference.

I was LMAO when Astrid grabbed the first aid kit so she could stand on it and kiss the Doctor. The kissing thing itself was a bit tacky, but as a short person I did appreciate the humor of the height difference.
    That was indeed a very funny scene. Just as the scenes where the Doctor can finally say the two things he always wanted to say.

Doctor: "Take me to your leader. I always wanted to say that."

Doctor: "What's your first name?"
    Frame: "Alono." (The face the Doctor pulls is priceless)
    Doctor: "You're kidding me."
    Frame: "What?"
    Doctor: "There is something else I always wanted to say. Allons-y Alonso"

I also like the scene where he answers who he is and the way Astrid butchers the names a few minutes later.

As for the episode itself, it was good and not to mention very amusing. Also, the poor Tenth Doctor, he always seems to fall for blondes who either die or become unacessable.
    Signed,

Gregorius
    Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
    Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.