Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    General sg-1fanintn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tau'ri home world
    Posts
    27,322

    Talking Gateworld Members Favorite Recipes Thread

    Yep! It's as off-off topic as you can get! Do you have a favorite recipe you'd like to share with other Gateworlders around the world? Share it here!

    I'll kick things off with this recipe. It was given to me at an open house earlier this month. It was so easy that I decided to make it for holiday gifts this year. It went over wonderfully!

    Christmas Crunch


    1 block Almond Bark
    3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
    6-7 cups Cap'n Crunch cereal
    1/2 cup cashews
    M & M candies (optional--add as many as you want for color)
    Waxed paper

    Premeasure peanut butter. Set aside. Melt almond bark over low heat, stirring constantly to prevent sticking. As soon as it is completely melted, remove from heat and add peanut butter, stirring until completely blended.

    Then, start adding cereal and nuts a little at a time, stirring until completely coated. If you're adding M & Ms add them a little at a time as well. I used the red and green holiday M & Ms for a hint of holiday color, adding them a few at a time as I was about to drop the spoonfuls onto the waxed paper to make the cookies.

    Drop small spoonfuls of mixture onto waxed paper lined cookie sheets or plates. Place in refrigerator for a few minutes until they harden. Then, remove and store in an air-tight container.

    NOTE: The waxed paper is very important! The almond bark hardens so well that it won't come off the plates or cookie sheets unless you use the waxed paper.

    Makes 3-4 dozen.


  2. #2
    Colonel nell's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    7,900

    Default Re: Gateworld Members Favorite Recipes Thread

    This is a great dish for pot luck meals, entertaining, and so on.

    CORNBREAD CASSEROLE

    1 pkg Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
    1 – 8 oz sour cream (light or regular)
    1 egg
    1 – 16 oz can cream style corn
    ½ stick margarine

    Melt margarine in 8 x 8 glass pan while preheating oven to 350F.

    Blend egg, sour cream and corn. Add muffin mix, stir into bowl. Pour mixture gently over melted margarine. Do not stir. Pat mixture into corners of pan. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes. Delicious with ham, chicken or turkey.

    Can be doubled in 9 x 13 pan.



  3. #3
    Second Lieutenant Davesg-43's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    431

    Default Re: Gateworld Members Favorite Recipes Thread

    i say steak

    get one new york steak and cook it medium well

  4. #4
    Colonel mad_gater's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    6,807

    Default Re: Gateworld Members Favorite Recipes Thread

    GINGERBREAD PANCAKES:

    Ingredients:
    1 T. ground cinnamon
    1 T. ground ginger
    4 cups buttermilk pancake mix
    2 1/3 cups water mixed with 1/2 cup molasses

    Directions:
    1) Stir spices into pancake mix, then add the molasses/water mixture and mix just until moistened.
    2) Heat a lightly oiled griddle or large non-stick skillet over medium heat. (If using a griddle it should come with a temperature control - set that to 400 deg. F.)
    3) Drop 2 T. of batter for each pancake onto the griddle. Cook 4 to 5 min., turning once, until puffed and lightly browned
    You can top these using regular maple syrup or whipped cream or use this recipe for Maple Whipped Cream:
    Beat 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream with 1/2 cup of maple-flavored syrup until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted. Refrigerate up to 2 hours before serving.

  5. #5
    Colonel mad_gater's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    6,807

    Default Re: Gateworld Members Favorite Recipes Thread

    HOMESTYLE POTATO WEDGES:

    This recipe is a good low-points substitute for french fries.

    2 egg whites
    2 T. water
    1/2 cup cornflake crumbs
    3 T. all-purpose flour
    3 T. grated parmesan cheese
    1 t. dried oregano
    1/2 t. salt
    1/2 t. ground pepper
    3 baking potatoes (do NOT peel), scrubbed and cut into 1/4-inch wedges

    Directions:

    1) Move oven rack to center position and preheat oven to 400 deg. F. Spray 2 large baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray.

    2) Beat the egg whites and water in a shallow bowl and put into a large Ziplock bag (1 gallon size will do). Mix the rest of the ingredients (except for potatoes) and place into another 1-gallon Ziplock bag.

    3) Take potato wedges and first put them in the bag with the egg white mixture, seal the bag and shake until well-coated. Then take the wedges out of that bag and put them into the bag with the cornflake crumb mixture and seal the bag and shake until well coated. Place the coated wedges onto baking sheet. Repeat this step for each batch of wedges.

    4) Lightly spray wedges with non-stick cooking spray and put the baking sheets into the oven lengthwise (i.e. shorter side of each sheet should be facing you) and bake for 20 min. Then take them out of the oven and turn each wedge over (you will need tongs for this part as the wedges will be very hot) and spray again with non-stick cooking spray and put back into the oven same way as before and bake 20 min. longer. Then take the wedges out of the oven and serve. Serving size is 3/4 cup of the wedges. Each serving is 4 points. They may not resemble french fries but they should taste a lot like those fries you get at a steakhouse.

    Optionally, you can have the potatoes resemble steak fries by cutting each potato into 8 lengthwise wedges and doing the same thing. Then 4 of the longer wedges would be a serving.

  6. #6
    Colonel mad_gater's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    6,807

    Default Re: Gateworld Members Favorite Recipes Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sg-1fanintn View Post
    Yep! It's as off-off topic as you can get! Do you have a favorite recipe you'd like to share with other Gateworlders around the world? Share it here!

    I'll kick things off with this recipe. It was given to me at an open house earlier this month. It was so easy that I decided to make it for holiday gifts this year. It went over wonderfully!

    Christmas Crunch


    1 block Almond Bark
    3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
    6-7 cups Cap'n Crunch cereal
    1/2 cup cashews
    M & M candies (optional--add as many as you want for color)
    Waxed paper

    Premeasure peanut butter. Set aside. Melt almond bark over low heat, stirring constantly to prevent sticking. As soon as it is completely melted, remove from heat and add peanut butter, stirring until completely blended.

    Then, start adding cereal and nuts a little at a time, stirring until completely coated. If you're adding M & Ms add them a little at a time as well. I used the red and green holiday M & Ms for a hint of holiday color, adding them a few at a time as I was about to drop the spoonfuls onto the waxed paper to make the cookies.

    Drop small spoonfuls of mixture onto waxed paper lined cookie sheets or plates. Place in refrigerator for a few minutes until they harden. Then, remove and store in an air-tight container.

    NOTE: The waxed paper is very important! The almond bark hardens so well that it won't come off the plates or cookie sheets unless you use the waxed paper.

    Makes 3-4 dozen.

    what is almond bark? is it the same as almond roca?

    and won't the stuff stick to waxed paper as it hardens too? or does it only stick to plates and cookie sheets and slide off the waxed paper? Could you just use cooking spray on the cookie sheets or plates in place of waxed paper or does it have to be waxed paper?

  7. #7
    General sg-1fanintn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tau'ri home world
    Posts
    27,322

    Smile Re: Gateworld Members Favorite Recipes Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mad_gater View Post
    what is almond bark? is it the same as almond roca?

    and won't the stuff stick to waxed paper as it hardens too? or does it only stick to plates and cookie sheets and slide off the waxed paper? Could you just use cooking spray on the cookie sheets or plates in place of waxed paper or does it have to be waxed paper?
    Almond Bark is candy coating...specifically designed to harden, no matter what!!! It's in the baking section of your store, near the chocolate candy coating. It should be off white in color.

    No, it's not the same as almond roca.

    And strangely, no, the candy doesn't really stick to the waxed paper. It peels right off! But you have to pull the paper back from the candy, which is what you can't do with a hard plate. It doesn't stick or anything. It's just that the waxed paper is flexible.

    And I tried one batch with spray coating, but it made the bottoms of the candy greasy. The almond bark didn't absorb the baking spray like a muffin or cake would.

    I didn't believe I needed the waxed paper at first. But when I made the first batch, I found out fast that the candy wouldn't come off the plate without it. To get the first batch off the plates, Hubby figured out an ingenious solution. He took each plate of candy and put it in the microwave for 10 seconds. The candy then came off easily with a spatula! But it didn't melt. However, since I was making multiple batches, I decided I'd rather buy waxed paper than nuke all of the candy.

    If you want to know anything else, just ask! Hugs, mg!

  8. #8
    Colonel mad_gater's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    6,807

    Default Re: Gateworld Members Favorite Recipes Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sg-1fanintn View Post
    Almond Bark is candy coating...specifically designed to harden, no matter what!!! It's in the baking section of your store, near the chocolate candy coating. It should be off white in color.

    No, it's not the same as almond roca.

    And strangely, no, the candy doesn't really stick to the waxed paper. It peels right off! But you have to pull the paper back from the candy, which is what you can't do with a hard plate. It doesn't stick or anything. It's just that the waxed paper is flexible.

    And I tried one batch with spray coating, but it made the bottoms of the candy greasy. The almond bark didn't absorb the baking spray like a muffin or cake would.

    I didn't believe I needed the waxed paper at first. But when I made the first batch, I found out fast that the candy wouldn't come off the plate without it. To get the first batch off the plates, Hubby figured out an ingenious solution. He took each plate of candy and put it in the microwave for 10 seconds. The candy then came off easily with a spatula! But it didn't melt. However, since I was making multiple batches, I decided I'd rather buy waxed paper than nuke all of the candy.

    If you want to know anything else, just ask! Hugs, mg!
    thx....and how big of a block of almond bark for this recipe. or is it all one size?

    now I know....you shoulda seen me the first time in the kitchen.....I was trying to make a cake called a "wacky cake." It's a cake that doesn't require any eggs and oddly enough takes vinegar (not a lot, like a teaspoon or something) and I was having trouble finding anything in our pantry labeled "baking soda" but found something called "baking powder." Needless to say I learned the hard way that baking powder is not the same thing as baking soda. I also learned to read the proportions in the ingredients more carefully....when I saw that it took "1 1/2 C." of flour I thought it meant one half cup of flour, not 1 and a 1/2 cups of flour....so I also did not have enough flour in the cake either.....yeah.....that first attempt was a disaster.

    so I figured I'd better ask...if I hadn't I probably woulda wound up trying almond roca in place of the almond bark.....

  9. #9
    Colonel nell's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    7,900

    Default Re: Gateworld Members Favorite Recipes Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mad_gater View Post
    GINGERBREAD PANCAKES:

    Ingredients:
    1 T. ground cinnamon
    1 T. ground ginger
    4 cups buttermilk pancake mix
    2 1/3 cups water mixed with 1/2 cup molasses

    Directions:
    1) Stir spices into pancake mix, then add the molasses/water mixture and mix just until moistened.
    2) Heat a lightly oiled griddle or large non-stick skillet over medium heat. (If using a griddle it should come with a temperature control - set that to 400 deg. F.)
    3) Drop 2 T. of batter for each pancake onto the griddle. Cook 4 to 5 min., turning once, until puffed and lightly browned
    You can top these using regular maple syrup or whipped cream or use this recipe for Maple Whipped Cream:
    Beat 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream with 1/2 cup of maple-flavored syrup until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted. Refrigerate up to 2 hours before serving.
    I love gingerbread and I love pancakes! These sound terrific!



  10. #10
    Colonel mad_gater's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    6,807

    Default Re: Gateworld Members Favorite Recipes Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by nell View Post
    I love gingerbread and I love pancakes! These sound terrific!
    LOL!! I haven't had a chance to make them yet...I don't know if this recipe will work with Bisquick or not....cuz I know that you can use bisquick to make pancakes in addition to biscuits but it seems to me like it's only designed to work with milk...might not dissolve right in water....but I'll try it...one of these days....

  11. #11
    General sg-1fanintn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tau'ri home world
    Posts
    27,322

    Smile Re: Gateworld Members Favorite Recipes Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mad_gater View Post
    thx....and how big of a block of almond bark for this recipe. or is it all one size?

    now I know....you shoulda seen me the first time in the kitchen.....I was trying to make a cake called a "wacky cake." It's a cake that doesn't require any eggs and oddly enough takes vinegar (not a lot, like a teaspoon or something) and I was having trouble finding anything in our pantry labeled "baking soda" but found something called "baking powder." Needless to say I learned the hard way that baking powder is not the same thing as baking soda. I also learned to read the proportions in the ingredients more carefully....when I saw that it took "1 1/2 C." of flour I thought it meant one half cup of flour, not 1 and a 1/2 cups of flour....so I also did not have enough flour in the cake either.....yeah.....that first attempt was a disaster.

    so I figured I'd better ask...if I hadn't I probably woulda wound up trying almond roca in place of the almond bark.....
    To my knowledge, it only comes in one size...a cellophane-wrapped package of candy coating divided into big blocks (in case you're making a recipe where you only need part of it). Use the whole thing for this recipe.

  12. #12
    General sg-1fanintn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tau'ri home world
    Posts
    27,322

    Smile Re: Gateworld Members Favorite Recipes Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Davesg-43 View Post
    i say steak

    get one new york steak and cook it medium well
    LOL!!!

  13. #13
    Major General Chelle DB's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Out of my mind
    Posts
    12,135

    Smile Re: Gateworld Members Favorite Recipes Thread

    As someone who really does not like to cook...or clean...I can't offer any good recipes at this moment....but will when I get some time...which will definitely be sometime in 2008!! Thanks for directing me here Melissa...this is cool!
    So...does anyone have a quick and easy recipe for pumpkin pie or sweet potato pie??? I've never had either but have heard a lot about them and would love to surprise the family with something new!!
    Thank you!!
    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
    ~Amanda Tapping

  14. #14
    You call that a glowstick?
    (Moderator)
    Skydiver's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    54,865

    Default Re: Gateworld Members Favorite Recipes Thread

    a great spinich dip

    8 oz cream cheese
    8 oz monterrey jack cheese, shredded
    one small can rotel
    one 10 oz package shredded spinich, thawed and drained

    mix it all together, put in a 8x8 pan, bake until hot through (about 30 minutes or so at 350)

    serve warm with tortilla chips

    if you like it spicy, use the hot rotel

    The dip will last....well every time i've made it it's all eaten within 15 minutes or so

  15. #15
    Colonel mad_gater's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    6,807

    Default Re: Gateworld Members Favorite Recipes Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by chelle db View Post
    As someone who really does not like to cook...or clean...I can't offer any good recipes at this moment....but will when I get some time...which will definitely be sometime in 2008!! Thanks for directing me here Melissa...this is cool!
    So...does anyone have a quick and easy recipe for pumpkin pie or sweet potato pie??? I've never had either but have heard a lot about them and would love to surprise the family with something new!!
    Thank you!!
    here's one for you.....

    1) go to local supermarket
    2) find bakery section
    3) pick up pie of your choice
    4) go to checkout counter and pay for it
    5) drive home and serve


  16. #16
    General sg-1fanintn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tau'ri home world
    Posts
    27,322

    Smile Re: Gateworld Members Favorite Recipes Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mad_gater View Post
    here's one for you.....

    1) go to local supermarket
    2) find bakery section
    3) pick up pie of your choice
    4) go to checkout counter and pay for it
    5) drive home and serve

    Ha! But mad gater, chelle lives in Australia. Pumpkin pie may not be in her local supermarket like it is in ours here.

    chelle, I have never made pumpkin pie, but I'll get my mother's recipe and post it here for you later. I've eaten sweet potato pie, but haven't made it either. However, they taste very similar, mainly due to the consistency of the ingredients used, and the spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves).

    What I have made is Pumpkin-Date Bread...and it is WONDERFUL! I'm posting the recipe here to see if you might like to try it. It came from a very popular Nashville restaurant. I've made it many, many times, always with success. It is a very moist, cake-like bread. In fact, you could probably make it in round cake pans, but I've never tried.

    Here's how the restaurant used the bread: They sliced each loaf. Then, they cut each slice in half and spread the two halves with cream cheese. The two halves were then put back together to make a small sandwich that was served with chicken salad and fruit. Yum!

    PUMPKIN-DATE BREAD

    1 cup water
    1 cup oil
    1 can pumpkin pie filling or plain canned pumpkin
    3 cups sugar
    3 eggs
    1-1/2 cups dates, chopped
    1 cup English walnuts, chopped

    3-1/2 cups self-rising flour
    1 teaspoon each: nutmeg, ginger, salt
    2 teaspoons cloves
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    2 teaspoons baking soda

    Get a VERY LARGE mixing bowl. Mix the first seven ingredients in it. Sift remaining ingredients together. Add to pumpkin mixture and stir until it is blended well. Pour into greased loaf pans.* Bake for 80-90 minutes in a 325-degree oven.

    * Note: This mixture makes 3-4 loaves if made in standard 9x5 loaf pans.

  17. #17
    Major General Chelle DB's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Out of my mind
    Posts
    12,135

    Smile Re: Gateworld Members Favorite Recipes Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sg-1fanintn View Post
    Ha! But mad gater, chelle lives in Australia. Pumpkin pie may not be in her local supermarket like it is in ours here.
    chelle, I have never made pumpkin pie, but I'll get my mother's recipe and post it here for you later. I've eaten sweet potato pie, but haven't made it either. However, they taste very similar, mainly due to the consistency of the ingredients used, and the spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves).
    What I have made is Pumpkin-Date Bread...and it is WONDERFUL! I'm posting the recipe here to see if you might like to try it. It came from a very popular Nashville restaurant. I've made it many, many times, always with success. It is a very moist, cake-like bread. In fact, you could probably make it in round cake pans, but I've never tried.
    Here's how the restaurant used the bread: They sliced each loaf. Then, they cut each slice in half and spread the two halves with cream cheese. The two halves were then put back together to make a small sandwich that was served with chicken salad and fruit. Yum!

    PUMPKIN-DATE BREAD

    1 cup water
    1 cup oil
    1 can pumpkin pie filling or plain canned pumpkin
    3 cups sugar
    3 eggs
    1-1/2 cups dates, chopped
    1 cup English walnuts, chopped

    3-1/2 cups self-rising flour
    1 teaspoon each: nutmeg, ginger, salt
    2 teaspoons cloves
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    2 teaspoons baking soda

    Get a VERY LARGE mixing bowl. Mix the first seven ingredients in it. Sift remaining ingredients together. Add to pumpkin mixture and stir until it is blended well. Pour into greased loaf pans.* Bake for 80-90 minutes in a 325-degree oven.

    * Note: This mixture makes 3-4 loaves if made in standard 9x5 loaf pans.
    Thank you Melissa...and you're right...we don't have pumpkin pie here otherwise I would have done just that and gone to the supermarket and bought it instead!!
    When I can I'll post a couple of quick recipes...nothing flash mind you...cooking is really not my forte!!
    "Live Peace - Speak Kindness - Dwell in Possibility"
    Hug Your Loved Ones!!
    ~Amanda Tapping

  18. #18
    Lieutenant Colonel Bekki's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Location
    funkytown
    Posts
    4,654

    Default Re: Gateworld Members Favorite Recipes Thread

    Bekki's Now Famous Chocolate Cheesecake slice (very easy to make!!!)

    Ingredients

    BASE
    185 grams butter
    1/4 cup cocoa
    1 cup sugar
    1 cup plain flour
    2 eggs, beaten

    TOP
    250 grams philadelphia cheese
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 beaten egg
    1/3 cup sugar

    Melt butter and mix with cocoa. Stir in sugar then beaten eggs and flour. Mix TOP ingredients separately. Pour BASE mixture into a greased tray. Pour TOP mixture over the top. Cook in moderate oven for 50 minutes.


    yum yum yum

  19. #19
    General sg-1fanintn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tau'ri home world
    Posts
    27,322

    Smile Re: Gateworld Members Favorite Recipes Thread

    I'm bringing this thread back from the dead because I've just made the most cool cookies! I got the recipe from one of my cousins. It combines two of my favorite things...chocolate and orange. I thought I'd share the recipe.

    What delicious concoctions have you tried lately? The holidays are coming, you know...

    Just sayin'...


    Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies


    1 box Duncan Hines Orange Supreme cake mix
    ½ cup chopped orange slice candy
    ½ cup oil
    1 6-ounce bag chocolate chips
    2 eggs
    ½ cup chopped pecans or macadamias

    To prepare orange slices, drop in flour for coating (to make it easier to chop). Continue to place in flour as the candies are cut in half, three times. Set aside.

    Mix first three ingredients together to make cookie dough. The dough will be stiff. I added a couple of teaspoons of water to make it a little easier to stir. It did not adversely affect my cookies. Add chopped orange slices, the chocolate chips and the nuts.

    Drop by rounded teaspoonful onto greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-13 minutes. Remove from pan and place on cooling rack.

    Makes 3 dozen delicious chewy cookies!

Similar Threads

  1. MEMBERS helping MEMBERS: General Help and Assistance Thread
    By TechnoWraith in forum Forum Announcements and Help
    Replies: 5046
    Last Post: May 16th, 2019, 03:22 AM
  2. Gateworld Members' Pets
    By sg-1fanintn in forum Off-Topic Chatter
    Replies: 4170
    Last Post: October 22nd, 2017, 05:25 PM
  3. 20,000+ Members - Congratulations, GateWorld Forum!
    By PG15 in forum Forum Announcements and Help
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: July 11th, 2006, 01:04 PM
  4. Congratulations, GateWorld, on 19,000 members!
    By morjana in forum Forum Announcements and Help
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: May 2nd, 2006, 02:47 PM
  5. Congratulations GateWorld on 12.000 members !!
    By Lord Zedd in forum Forum Announcements and Help
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: November 1st, 2005, 01:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •