This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interview the Mods

I got the idea for this thread from the So You Want to Be a Moderator... thread. and to save the good ShadowMaat a good deal of heart ace TOO BAD, YOU CAN'T

In it were alot of question dirrected to the mods about moddom and i thought that if we were able to ask the mods about their oh so important job here, it might help for people see the mods as kind, caring people that are doing great job at keeping this forum a great place to hang out and share ideas, and not power hungry monsters that moderate, merge and delet for the hell of it.

Also, i am only hopeing that the mods will answer any question posted here. I am going to send out an invitation to them but it is not a sure thing that they will come. Live in hope though.

I'll get the ball rolling with my questions:
    What was in the PM that you got as a requset to be a mod and how did you react when you got it?

and

Do any of you have another accont so you can chat and disscus without the "Moderator" tag?

Now everybody go nuts, well, not too nuts. just keep it apropriate and resspectful
    Nothing is permanent in this wicked world. Not even our troubles.

Spoiler:
    Originally posted by ebethman
    Look to the last page to find one of those strange little posts that no one sees at the end of a page. They are a strange creature. Denied attention from other posts they banned together. By day they are simple, unassuming posts. By night, they solve crime. One of them is called frank. He likes marbles. He has twelve of them. Each has it's own unique binary code which is related to several characteristics. Size. Colour. Public speaking ability....
    Originally posted by Bray
    *Bray wins*

Sorry RM....Game OVER!

And eBeth....you're weird

Originally posted by P2J
    i thought we used shadow's thread and the favorite mod thread for question???

outside of the officially ask mod thread
    i guess this would help people find out where they can acctually ask this sort of question instead of it only being people who hang out in those threads.
    In my opinion the ask the mod thread was only for questions conserning the functioning and rules of gateworld instead of actually asking the mods about themselves.

But if the mods don't want this thread, it's gone

Spoiler:
    Look to the last page to find one of those strange little posts that no one sees at the end of a page. They are a strange creature. Denied attention from other posts they banned together. By day they are simple, unassuming posts. By night, they solve crime. One of them is called frank. He likes marbles. He has twelve of them. Each has it's own unique binary code which is related to several characteristics. Size. Colour. Public speaking ability....
    *Bray wins*

Sorry RM....Game OVER!

Comment

Originally posted by ebethman View Post

I'll get the ball rolling with my questions:
      What was in the PM that you got as a request to be a mod and how did you react when you got it?

and

Do any of you have another account so you can chat and discuss without the "Moderator" tag?

Now everybody go nuts, well, not too nuts. just keep it appropriate and respectful
      Since this is somewhat more direct questions to each of us specifically for now it seems like it can stay put

The *So you want to be a Moderator* thread is more about what the overall Don'ts and Dos are while he *Who's your favorite Mod* thread is just a nice place to have some fun with the Moderators.

However, we have answered some of these type of questions in the *So you want to be a Moderator thread*

anyway...moving on to answer you.............

1) The PM request had the offer to be a Moderator as well as the Pros and Cons of being a Moderator. It also had a condensed *Code of Conduct* that would be expected of us.
      My reaction? WOW They think I can do this *baffled* what kind of NUT wants to be a Moderator??? then I thought about it for a while and decided I had something to offer back to the Forum I enjoyed

2) I personally do not have another account that I post with. I try to be very clear when i am posting as a *member* versus as a *Moderator*. Using both a salutation and a sign off that indicates I am posting in a *Moderator capacity* keeps most of my posts very separate from my posts as a *Member*

Plus I am a whole lot funnier when I post as a Mod
      Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

"Only the people who hang out in those threads?" Well... the threads are open, so anyone can click on them, read, and participate. If it's a case of people maybe being too "intimidated" by the length of the threads or the individuals within them then chances are you'll eventually run into the same problem here: it's likely that the same people will gravitate here and if the thread continues, it'll eventually rack up quite the page count. Or did you mean "I want to start a thread for normal folks who hate mapp and Shadow and don't want to play in their stinky rotten threads?" *shrug* Ultimately, of course, it's a mod call. Maybe this could be used as a sort of casual Ask a Mod thread for stuff that isn't directly related to forum issues.

Comment

This thread is just asking for questions with regards to egos, so I'll go first: How notorious am I amongst the mods, do I already have my own thread in the mod forums?

And now the more serious question: How do the mods deal with it when one of their own makes a post that must be deleted or misbehaves him- or herself?
          Signed,

Gregorius
          Gateworld Forum Troublemaker Extraordinaire.

sigpic

Support the (r)Evolution: Gregorius for Moderator.
          Gregorius, because clowning about is his raison d'être.

Comment

lessee, first, as Tame said, the ask the mods is more about forum operations/actions, so different from this one.

SEcond, i have no issue with this thread, as long as it doesn't descend into 'why did you do this? it made me mad'

I'm not saying that people can't ask those questions, but they're matters best handled privately. So i have no issue with this as long as its attitude is 'let's find out things' instead of 'i'm mad at you and i want to publically take you to task for it'

to the fun questions

You know, i don't remember the PM that i got. I got mine way back on Delphi and back then it was a lot fewer of us. I was flattered but also kinda overwhelmed/spooked. Like dude, you trust me with this????

I don't have another account. Don't see the need for it.

Greg, sorry, but you don't have your own thread. In fact, we dont' have any user specific threads in the mod area. We do occasionally make threads to discuss a specific topic, such as when the decision was made to disallow the creation of anymore pro and anti threads. but beyond that, we do most of our mod discussions in just one or two threads in our private mod forum

as to dealing with other mods, it's a case by case basis. If i make a judgement call that others don't agree with, they tell me. And if they do something that i don't thikn is right, i tell them.

i delete other mods posts, they have deleted mine
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

NUMBER ONE thank you so much Tame and Sky for coming. I (and i am assuming the others) really apreciate it.

NUMBER TWO i don't hate you shadow *eeee* *slowly cruching into a ball* I didn't mean to be mean. *sob* teehee

NUMBER THREE Do the mods have christmas parties or b'day parties in there forum? I know there have been many held here, in thunk threads and such. Hell, those guys in the lounge put on a play!!

EDIT: Wow, that writing is bigger than i thought it would be

Spoiler:
              *Bray wins*

Sorry RM....Game OVER!

Comment

PARTY AT KIWI'S PLACE! We can all stand around and laugh as she tries to navigage on dialup! She'll provide drinks, food, and lodging. All we have to do is get there...

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                  PARTY AT KIWI'S PLACE! We can all stand around and laugh as she tries to navigage on dialup! She'll provide drinks, food, and lodging. All we have to do is get there...
                  Give me the directions and I'll be there in a second. I suspect that there will be a lot of kiwis to eat. What is the best and worst thing about being a moderator (I can think of quite a few bad things)
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    Greg, sorry, but you don't have your own thread. In fact, we dont' have any user specific threads in the mod area. We do occasionally make threads to discuss a specific topic, such as when the decision was made to disallow the creation of anymore pro and anti threads. but beyond that, we do most of our mod discussions in just one or two threads in our private mod forum
                    Figured as much. I can assume posts in the mod forum don't add to post count?

as to dealing with other mods, it's a case by case basis. If i make a judgement call that others don't agree with, they tell me. And if they do something that i don't thikn is right, i tell them.
                    So what happens if a mod seriously misbehaves, like insulting an entire fanbase, ship, etc..; do the mods have some sort of "Three strikes and you're out"-system?

Also when a post gets deleted it gets made invisible while it remains in the thread right? (It could also be transfered to a trash bin forum) But do you suppliment those posts with comments containing the reasoning as to why it has been deleted?

As for deleted threads, they go to a forum trash bin I assume? Do the mods supply comments with the reasons for their decision in those deleted threads?

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                    Going to this place on dial-up, poor Kiwi, even with my connection it's hell at times to load. Also, will Kiwi provide the BBQ?
                    Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorius View Post
                      <SNIP>
                      Also when a post gets deleted it gets made invisible while it remains in the thread right? (It could also be transfered to a trash bin forum) But do you suppliment those posts with comments containing the reasoning as to why it has been deleted?

As for deleted threads, they go to a forum trash bin I assume? Do the mods supply comments with the reasons for their decision in those deleted threads?
                      <SNIP>
                      that seems like more of a question for the ask the mod thread. The way i thought of this thread was asking the mods question . .

sorry, ignore me. It's 1 in the morning and i'm high on caffeen

Spoiler:
                      *Bray wins*

Sorry RM....Game OVER!

Comment

There are two levels of delete. The "soft delete" is still readable to the mods, the "hard delete" erases all trace of it. I remember that much, and I think the soft delete is what's generally used, but I don't know the specifics of when and why.

Comment

I'm well aware of the levels of delete VB has. I'm just curious how the mods handle it here.
                          Signed,

Gregorius

sigpic

Comment

I got the idea for this thread from the So You Want to Be a Moderator... thread. and to save the good ShadowMaat a good deal of heart ace TOO BAD, YOU CAN'T
                            haha. hahahaha. shads...as a mod? hahaha. ohhh, that's good. shads, would you stick around at all if you got that PM? haha. oh, wow. ...wow.
                            Do any of you have another accont so you can chat and disscus without the "Moderator" tag?
                            wait, wait, wait. first you think shads wants to be a mod, now you want two skys and tames running around here?

if you do have an issue with mapps and shads supposedly "restricted" threads, i feel it is my duty to warn you that, not only will this thread almost certainly explode exponentially, both shads and mapp will probably make up a good bit of the dynamite.
                            sigpic
                            "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                            Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities View Post
                              haha. hahahaha. shads...as a mod? hahaha. ohhh, that's good. shads, would you stick around at all if you got that PM?
                              I think the forum would catch fire from the speed of my departure.

As for mods having a second account... it'd be enough to make ya paranoid, eh? There you are, having a nice rant at someone about what a horrible, domineering, scummy person Sky is and then you find out, IT IS SKY!! OMGBANNEDFORLIFE!! Heh. I think they probably don't, but if they did I doubt they'd admit it.

Comment

Working...
                              X