Opportunity for the character of Telya

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opportunity for the character of Telya

Many people think that the character of Teyla is boring that she doesn’t add much to the team. Should the writers replace Teyla with the cloned nanite version of her? This would add an extra dimension to her character of superhuman healing abilities and I think a beneficial addition attribute to the character. As the both characters are essentially the same person it would not effect the show at all accept give additional depth to the character of Teyla Obviously the real Teyla would have to be killed off or the fake team replace her with their own inconspicuously. It would also give the writers a rare opportunity to kill off a main character without them not really being killed, usually only seen in prophecy episodes.

If Teyla is considered so "boring that she doesn’t add much to the team" then replacing her won't her with a different version of herself won't help.

It makes no difference what happens unless they add new stories and plots for the character to have. So why replace the real Teyla with a different Teyla only to give the new Teyla better stories that could be used on the original.

And anyway, they've killed off three main characters so far without really being killed so they don't need a duplicate of her because they'll find a reason to bring her back anyway.

sigpic

Comment

That would be a really bad, bad, BAD idea. The reason why Teyla is boring is that the writing sucks. This won't be solved by making her a half-replicator. There is lots of opportunity for Teylas character as it is, it just needs to be used instead of wasted. They already have done this with Elizabeth and if they really wanted to they could bring her back as a half-replicator. Or not, seeing as Torri Higginson has said
      Spoiler:
      that she wouldn't go back as a regular.

Sparky Shipper. Genetically predisposed to being stubborn... really pesky.

Comment

Originally posted by Fionnait View Post
        That would be a really bad, bad, BAD idea. The reason why Teyla is boring is that the writing sucks. This won't be solved by making her a half-replicator. There is lots of opportunity for Teylas character as it is, it just needs to be used instead of wasted. They already have done this with Elizabeth and if they really wanted to they could bring her back as a half-replicator. Or not, seeing as Torri Higginson has said
        Spoiler:
        that she wouldn't go back as a regular.
        I disagree. The writing is fine and Teyla is not boring.
        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I definitely see where you're coming from, but at the same time, don't necessarily agree. Part of the effectiveness of the team as a group is the variety and if Teyla seems dull, it's simply in comparison to Sheppard, McKay and Ronin.

Put her on a team with Weir, Dock Kaylee (Sorry Stargate fans, but the new Doc's name hasn't sunk in yet) and [Zalenka], and she'd be pretty darn interesting I think.
          'Take my hand and let's end it all'

Comment

I don't think Teyla is boring at all, but she should have more to do. I really enjoyed Missing and look forward to seeing how her arc plays out through the rest of the year, I certainly don't want her replaced. If you want boring, go watch s1 again and look at Ford.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
              I definitely see where you're coming from, but at the same time, don't necessarily agree. Part of the effectiveness of the team as a group is the variety and if Teyla seems dull, it's simply in comparison to Sheppard, McKay and Ronin.

Put her on a team with Weir, Dock Kaylee (Sorry Stargate fans, but the new Doc's name hasn't sunk in yet) and [Zalenka], and she'd be pretty darn interesting I think.
              I'd have to disagree with that. All three of them would be majorly outshone by Zelenka, down mainly to the fact that PTB seem incapable of making interesting female characters.
              If you put Teyla in a team with Weir, a Vulcan, and a potato, she may have a chance of appearing interesting.

SG-1 had Carter and Fraiser. Hell, even doc Lam seemed interesting in comparison to SGA's female characters.

Comment

I'll give you Fraiser, maybe Carter, but Lam?!? Let's not be silly...

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                  I'll give you Fraiser, maybe Carter, but Lam?!? Let's not be silly...
                  Not to agree with him, but Lam is practically a non-entity.

I loved Frasier though. <3
                  'Take my hand and let's end it all'

Comment

i think that teyla is one of the more interesting characters in my opinion.
                    thanks to Pandora's_Box for the siggie!

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                      I don't think Teyla is boring at all, but she should have more to do. I really enjoyed Missing and look forward to seeing how her arc plays out through the rest of the year, I certainly don't want her replaced. If you want boring, go watch s1 again and look at Ford.
                      Agreed. Ford is the only character I really never cared for.

Comment

there's only one way how to save Teyla...
                        Spoiler:
                        KILL HER!!!!
                        Stolen Kosovo
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                          there's only one way how to save Teyla...
                          Spoiler:
                          KILL HER!!!!
                          Don't think so.

Comment

I like Teyla and Rachel, but Telya has been rather static IMO for the past few years. The little things that make the show fun to watch--the few moments when they step out of character--I didn't see happening with Teyla as much as others. I liked when she could be humorous, as in Echoes with Ronan or Conversion with John.

But this season she's gone through some obvious character changes (starting with her wardrobe--I'm glad she's pitched in for leather). She is one element that I've really enjoyed this season. I liked her attitude in Reunion and in Missing.

I think we need to be patient--from the previews and promos, I actually think Teyla's going to get some great storyline developments in the back half of this season.
                            Visit SGArising.com to read our virtual continuation of the Atlantis series!

Comment

Working...
                            X