This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carter & Third SG-1 Movie

Assuming there's a third SG-1 movie, how would they work Carter into the story? When we first met her, she was an Air Force Captain. She's been promoted to Major and Lt. Colonel at which point she took command of SG-1 for a year and then shared command with Lt. Colonel Mitchell for the next two years. After that, she was promoted to full Colonel and given Command of Atlantis. If she were to step down from command for whatever reason, I really don't see her going back to her old SG-1 possition. That seems like a step back to me. What I imagine happening with Carter in a potential third SG-1 movie is that she'll either still be in command of Atlantis or on some new assignment. There will be a crisis in which she can contribute, and she'll be recalled for the events of the movie as the expert rather than as a member of SG-1.

What do you think?

I agree. I don't think she'd re-join SG1 as a team member but like you said would return because she'd be called back for her expertise.

(Credit to RepliCartertje for the beautiful sig and to Mala for smilies.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki View Post
      I agree. I don't think she'd re-join SG1 as a team member but like you said would return because she'd be called back for her expertise.
      That's the most likely scenario.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
        Assuming there's a third SG-1 movie, how would they work Carter into the story? When we first met her, she was an Air Force Captain. She's been promoted to Major and Lt. Colonel at which point she took command of SG-1 for a year and then shared command with Lt. Colonel Mitchell for the next two years. After that, she was promoted to full Colonel and given Command of Atlantis. If she were to step down from command for whatever reason, I really don't see her going back to her old SG-1 possition. That seems like a step back to me. What I imagine happening with Carter in a potential third SG-1 movie is that she'll either still be in command of Atlantis or on some new assignment. There will be a crisis in which she can contribute, and she'll be recalled for the events of the movie as the expert rather than as a member of SG-1.

What do you think?
        Could you explain what you mean by step down from command because Colonel's don't step down from command, they will always be in command of something. If they step down from command they will be out of the military.

If you are only talking about Sam being made a member of SG-1 again then I highly doubt it, however you don't need to be a member of a unit to be assigned to do a mission with them.
        -

Comment

Your question got me thinking and actually what I'm even more curious about is how and why Carter leaves SG1 in the first place?

In season 8 she left because Earth's greatest enemies had been defeated and all of SG1's members, including Jack, were moving on. Now after being promoted to Col. she could still be part of SG1 yet she chooses to leave the team for another assignment (Atlantis) even though the team is still together...was it just the new command/opportunities or does anyone else think she may not have been happy to stay at the SGC after season 8?

She was forced to come back in 'Beachead', season 9...and was very reluctant to but rejoined SG1 because Earth was facing a new threat. We know that that threat is eliminated at the end of AoT and almost immediately Carter's out of the SGC grabbing the next assignment. Just taking the opportunity or would rather work anywhere else than stay at the SGC (as with her qualifications, the job would probably be just as good or better)?

Because after season 8, the SGC hasn’t really been the same.

(Credit to RepliCartertje for the beautiful sig and to Mala for smilies.)

Comment

I agree, she'll return because of he experience in something vital to the movie plot
            sigpic
            The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

carter will be pwning up no doubt. probably microing bulk armies, like executing aurora strikes against teh power stations while microing teh paladin tanks and tomahawk launchers against their zerg tank rush while hunting down their supply centers with roving commanche squadrons. then a colonel burton in their base, knifing their dudes.

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX View Post
                Could you explain what you mean by step down from command because Colonel's don't step down from command, they will always be in command of something. If they step down from command they will be out of the military.
                I was refering to being in command of Atlantis, not commanding stuff in general. I also said for whatever reason meaing that it could be due to a reassignment, the return of Weir, Sheppard taking command, Caldwell taking command, Carter being hurt and needing long-term recover, or whatever.

If you are only talking about Sam being made a member of SG-1 again then I highly doubt it, however you don't need to be a member of a unit to be assigned to do a mission with them.
                I already said I doubt Carter will return to SG-1 as it'd be a step backwards. I was asking how you think she might be worked into the story.

Your question got me thinking and actually what I'm even more curious about is how and why Carter leaves SG1 in the first place?
                She left SG-1 to succeed Dr. Weir as the leader of the Atlantis Expedition.

In season 8 she left because Earth's greatest enemies had been defeated and all of SG1's members, including Jack, were moving on. Now after being promoted to Col. she could still be part of SG1 yet she chooses to leave the team for another assignment (Atlantis) even though the team is still together...was it just the new command/opportunities or does anyone else think she may not have been happy to stay at the SGC after season 8?
                My guess would be the Ori and Ba'al get defeated in the movies which take place after SG-1's finale, but before SG:A "First Strike" (Season 3 finale). Atlantis needs her more than the SGC, so off she goes.

She was forced to come back in 'Beachead', season 9...and was very reluctant to but rejoined SG1 because Earth was facing a new threat. We know that that threat is eliminated at the end of AoT and almost immediately Carter's out of the SGC grabbing the next assignment. Just taking the opportunity or would rather work anywhere else than stay at the SGC (as with her qualifications, the job would probably be just as good or better)?
                There's absolutely no reason for Carter to think poorly of the SGC. She didn't want to come back in Season 9, because she had moved on and become attached to her new job. It's like you moving to a new house, and then six months later, your neighbors want you to come back. Are you going to move back just because they want you to? In Season 9, she returns to the SGC because of the Ori. In SG:A, she moves to Atlantis because of the Asurans.

I would say this is mostly due to the departure of RDA and addition of Ben Blander.
                Last edited by Daniel Jackson; 13 December 2007, 12:07 PM.

Comment

hm interesting question. since we don't know how much time passed between FS and the movies we should assume that Carter's still with SG-1 after Continuum, doing what they always do - visiting planets, meeting new pepole etc. I'd guess at some point she goes to Midway station with Dr Lee (Adrift) and helps Atlantis. a few weeks after that she gets reassigned and put in charge of the city. I still think Sam's a soldier first and then a scientist. she has to realize what being leader of Atlantis means for her career thus she takes the job
                  sigpic

Comment

In season 8 she left because Earth's greatest enemies had been defeated and all of SG1's members, including Jack, were moving on.
                    That was the work of the plot device fairies. Making sense is not and never will be a requirement for them.

Even with the majority of the Goa'uld defeated, the galaxy didn't turn into a happy, sunshine-and-rainbows-and-frolicing-in-the-daisies paradise. Whatever about Daniel going to Atlantis and Teal'c joining the Jaffa, Sam leaving the job she loves didn't make sense to me. Being able to explore other planets without having to focus on the war effort would probably have been something she truly enjoyed.

Now after being promoted to Col. she could still be part of SG1 yet she chooses to leave the team for another assignment (Atlantis) even though the team is still together...was it just the new command/opportunities or does anyone else think she may not have been happy to stay at the SGC after season 8?
                    I think it's a simple case of Atlantis needing her and Sam being aware that she can make a huge contribution there.

Comment

This question was brought up in an interview, and Amanda Tapping implied that Carter would still be a member of SG-1, that the subsequent movies would be "anomalies". I'd hate to think that they'd stop SG-1's storyline with Continuum, but it does imply that they would prefer that Atlantis's continuity be considered Stargate canon, rather than making the SG-1 movies and Atlantis sync up.

Q: Okay. Just because your - as you say you’re over on Atlantis and after those two movies so how do they get you back and…

Amanda Tapping: The movies would have to sort of work as autonomous little anomalies out there. I’ve stormed myself of Brad Wright’s floor and held my breath and counted on the floor with… so I don’t think he wants to see that again, so I’m hopeful that I’ll be back on if more movies happen.
                      -- Amanda Tapping, IESB.net interview.

I hope that I'm reading what she said incorrectly and that they continue to move the remaining members of SG-1 forward instead of locking them into Carter's timeline. I think they deserve to continue their journeys, whether or not Carter is an official member of that team or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                        I agree, she'll return because of he experience in something vital to the movie plot
                        The poor woman is going to come back to Earth for a long overdue vacation, get roped into helping out with whatever catastrophe the gang have got themselves into and return to Atlantis more in need of a break than she was when she left.

Comment

To be fair, there's nothing stopping them from having Carter appear in the movie just for that movie's one adventure. Let's take Star Trek for example. A year after The Next Generation ended and it's first movie, Worf joined the cast of Deep Space Nine. While he was on the show, TNG got a second and third movie. TNG and DS9 were seperate more or less aside from occasional character crossovers, so it was easy to have Worf in the movies without interfering with DS9. I think the same will happen with SG. Rather than make SG:A accomodate the movies, the movies will accomodate SG:A.

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX View Post
                            That was the work of the plot device fairies. Making sense is not and never will be a requirement for them.
                            it's not required but it'd be nice if it'd made sense

Even with the majority of the Goa'uld defeated, the galaxy didn't turn into a happy, sunshine-and-rainbows-and-frolicing-in-the-daisies paradise. Whatever about Daniel going to Atlantis and Teal'c joining the Jaffa, Sam leaving the job she loves didn't make sense to me. Being able to explore other planets without having to focus on the war effort would probably have been something she truly enjoyed.
                            ah well I guess everybody has a different explanation why she left the SGC

I think it's a simple case of Atlantis needing her and Sam being aware that she can make a huge contribution there.
                            yup that's what I think too

The poor woman is going to come back to Earth for a long overdue vacation, get roped into helping out with whatever catastrophe the gang have got themselves into and return to Atlantis more in need of a break than she was when she left.
                            yeah I could see that happen. Sam's just too smart and brilliant

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                            ...TNG got a second and third movie...
                            actually TNG had four movies (even if ST VII also featured Kirk but essentially it was TNG)
                            sigpic

Comment

My full sentence, "While he was on the show, TNG got a second and third movie." The fourth movie came out after DS9 ended. That is why I did not mention it.

Comment

Working...
                              X