Question on Caitlin's Time Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on Caitlin's Time Line

Question on the time travel, Caitlin is in the future with the plaque, I'm guessing there aren't multiple realities in the show because they strive to protect a single time line. If not shes gonna be stuck in the plaque future how would Peter find her if the future he left her in and the future hes going to to find her are completely different? I mean if he meets molly then yeah he could find her, but if he finds Caitlin will she be the Caitlin he left or the Caitlin of that timeline?
    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

I'm thinking from her point of view, it will be like one minute she's hugging Peter in the warehouse and next she's in NY one year in the future, only this time it's without Peter and there's no plague.
    Peter will be the only one aware of the other time line and the plague.

Comment

I'd like to think she just ceased to be, and we can just forget about that whole Ireland incident.
      All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

I think we're going to see a Back to the Future II outcome.

She'll wake up one morning and find the virus timeline changed to the new one, while knowing both of them. She'll still be a year in the future and have been shipped back to Ireland, but it should be like she never left.

sigpic

Comment

Where she's going she won't need roads.
          All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

I think the option that makes most sense is that she's still in nightmare future, following the idea that time travel creates alternate universes each time its used to effect something

So there's no way to get her back unless a alternative universe jumping hero shows up soon... Peter didn't think this out properly me thinks.
            A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
              I think the option that makes most sense is that she's still in nightmare future, following the idea that time travel creates alternate universes each time its used to effect something

So there's no way to get her back unless a alternative universe jumping hero shows up soon... Peter didn't think this out properly me thinks.
              So, in reality? Peter and Hiro didn't change the timeline at all? They just went back and lived out a seperate timeline instead. So future Exploded-NY/ Plaguesville Timelines still exist, and attempting to alter the past is fruitless?

I'd rather prefer having only One mutable Timeline, allowing any alterations by Hiro and Peter to actually be alterations to a single timeline, opposing mutliple-timelines/ universes. So, Hiro's Time-Traveling isn't completely useless.

Also, how would he travel to the future if there are a near infinte number of possible outcomes? He could repeatedly travel to the future and repeatedly end up in different futures. Also, his many past selves could jump back to points where the Timelines seperated originally, and we'd have a near infinite number of Hiros/Peters running around...

.. I think with Time-Travel involved, there does only need to be one constant mutable time-line, otherwise it becomes futile and clutterable.

Comment

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
                I'm thinking from her point of view, it will be like one minute she's hugging Peter in the warehouse and next she's in NY one year in the future, only this time it's without Peter and there's no plague.
                Peter will be the only one aware of the other time line and the plague.
                Yes. I agree, that's the only way I could really see it working.
                Otherwise the whole mission to "rescue/save Caitlin" is a waste, and I can't imagine that's what the writers were really intending. And I'm sure Peter will be there waiting for her when she appears out of thin air.
                There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

Since Peter destroyed the Shanti Virus, the timeline with the plague no longer exists. Thus erasing Caitlin from existence. In order for him to save her, he has to go back a day in the past to stop Nathan and the cop from convincing him to stop Adam and kill 98% of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by BobTheWrath View Post
                    Since Peter destroyed the Shanti Virus, the timeline with the plague no longer exists. Thus erasing Caitlin from existence.
                    You assume that we're dealing with a multi-universe/timeline theory.

Originally posted by BobTheWrath View Post
                    In order for him to save her, he has to go back a day in the past to stop Nathan and the cop from convincing him to stop Adam and kill 98% of the world.
                    He has to release the virus to save her? That sounds like a very bad plan.
                    There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumper747 View Post
                      Originally posted by BobTheWrath
                      Since Peter destroyed the Shanti Virus, the timeline with the plague no longer exists. Thus erasing Caitlin from existence.
                      You assume that we're dealing with a multi-universe/timeline theory.
                      No, that's assuming that we're not dealing with a Multi-Universe. If we were dealing with a Multiverse, the Shanti-Timeline would still exist. If we had one constant, mutable Universe, then the Shanti-Timeline has been prevented and doesn't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
                        No, that's assuming that we're not dealing with a Multi-Universe. If we were dealing with a Multiverse, the Shanti-Timeline would still exist. If we had one constant, mutable Universe, then the Shanti-Timeline has been prevented and doesn't exist.
                        Sorry, yes. I stand corrected. I see that the Virus-timeline was prevented, and with it everything that happened to Caitlin during that timeline. But I still think that Caitlin will "finally" find herself simply teleported one year, arriving without Peter in the "repaired" future of New York City (since it's the only one that exists now).
                        Last edited by puddlejumper747; 20 December 2007, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumper747 View Post
                          Sorry, yes. I stand corrected. I see that the Virus-timeline was prevented, and with it everything that happened to Caitlin during that timeline. But I still think that Caitlin will "finally" find herself simply teleported one year, arriving without Peter in the "repaired" future of New York City (since it's the only one that exists now).
                          That's what I'm thinking too, it seems the most logical outcome Even with a really confusing scenerio such as this

Comment

One possible solution is that the virus storyline isn't really over, that they only think it is. Otherwise Caitlin is lost forever, there isn't a way to bring her back in a way that would make any sense.
                            I'm A Leaf On The Wind...Watch How I Soar

Comment

Did they ever clarify this in a recent episode? Peter doesn't seem to be too worried about her anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X