Too much Earth idiosyncronisities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
    Actually, she replied that Sumner should go to Hell before her.
    SUMNER: Go to hell.

WRAITH: Earth first.
    sigpic

Comment

But did she mean she'll go to Earth first, or Earth will go to hell first?

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
        But did she mean she'll go to Earth first, or Earth will go to hell first?
        Good point. I've always interpreted it as the former but I suppose it could be read as meaning the latter. However, there's no way it can be construed to mean that Sumner should go to Hell before her.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Salas1 View Post
          Hell is the English word for the underworld. Not the Earth word for the underworld.
          Wh... wh... what?

Hell is the English word for the Abrahamic underworld. While the world "Hell" can also be used for the underworlds of Buddhism and Hinduism (among other things), these are called entirely different things in their original languages.

When you say "Hell", you almost always refer to the Abrahamic Hell as all other religions have specific names for their underworlds (be they translated or not).

Comment

Actually I think Teyla has held on to her own speak fairly well. Obviously she's picked up some Earth phrases but the formality and pattern of her speak has remained fairly consistent since she turned up.

Ronon is more 'eathified' but that doesn't surprise me. He's more colloquial than Teyla in the first place and without the strong hint of social identity she seems to hold on to, it's not surprising he speaks more like a native
            sigpic
            by Kaaatie

Comment

Originally posted by doylefan22 View Post
              Actually I think Teyla has held on to her own speak fairly well. Obviously she's picked up some Earth phrases but the formality and pattern of her speak has remained fairly consistent since she turned up.

Ronon is more 'eathified' but that doesn't surprise me. He's more colloquial than Teyla in the first place and without the strong hint of social identity she seems to hold on to, it's not surprising he speaks more like a native
              plus I get the impression Ronon hangs out with the marines rather more than Teyla... and I should think you'd pick up a lot of slang pretty quickly from hanging with squaddies!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                Wh... wh... what?

Hell is the English word for the Abrahamic underworld. While the world "Hell" can also be used for the underworlds of Buddhism and Hinduism (among other things), these are called entirely different things in their original languages.
                Not all Buddhists have an underworld. My school doesn't. But Hell is a state of life that we live through.

Comment

Working...
                X