Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Brigadier General FallenAngelII's Avatar

Default Too much Earth idiosyncronisities?

Are the Stargate aliens showing too many Tau'ri behaviorism and speech patterns?

Not only do they all seem to be using the Imperial, and to a much lesser extent also the metric, System, they also use a lot of Earth (specifically American) expressions.

In "Miller's Crossing", Ronon exclaims "Sweet!" in response to John telling him he's found something for him to point his gun at.

Am I the only one who was irked at this? The suspension of disbelief is almost all gone by now. Ronon and Teyla (to a lesser extent) have become so earthified they feel and sound just like pretty much any other Earthling.

Major General

Default Re: Too much Earth idiosyncronisities?

Yes. Some of the lines that Ronon has been given really annoy me, I think it's because the writers can't differentiate between English (language) phrases and North American ones, let alone route out the Earth phrases... If that makes any sense...

I'm not saying this as fact just a hypothetical - Ronan's situation isn't the same as Teal'C or Teyla. Ronan doesn't have the option of going back to his own people and culture like they do (or did) without that ancor it's easier to pick up the "local" slang.

To be fair, when you're around your friends, you tend to pick up sayings from them and use them yourself.

Ronon has been hanging around the Atlantis crew for over two years now. I'm not really surprised he's picked up a couple of mannerisms.

Major General

I think Lucius was probably the worst, he even had the accent.

Quote Originally Posted by jenks View Post
    I think Lucius was probably the worst, he even had the accent.
    That's probably not the only respect in which Lucius was the worst...

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by FallenAngelII View Post
    In "Miller's Crossing", Ronon exclaims "Sweet!" in response to John telling him he's found something for him to point his gun at.
    that's nothing. what about:

SHEPPARD: Hey, buddy, you wanna lower your gun?
    RONON: What the hell?

Captain

It bothers me when it's random-alien-ally-and-or-enemy-of-the-week, but with Ronon and Teyla, not so much. They spend all their time on a base with people from earth; it makes sense that they would pick up the slang.
    They say the geek never gets the girl...what about the girl getting the geek?

Rodney/Teyla...it could happen

spoilers for "200"
    Spoiler:
    Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Vala: Are you saying that General O'Neill is...

Cam: My daddy?

FYI, "idiosyncronisities" isn't a word. Synchronicity is a word...and a Police album. Idiosyncrasy is a word.

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
    O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Ronon's word choices indicate that he's assimilated to Earth culture and it's not really surprising.

What I didn't like is when in Rising, Sumner tells the Wraith keeper lady to "go to hell" and she, completely understanding the phrase, responds, "Earth first!" Now, either she's intelligent enough to infer the meaning of the phrase without understanding what the concept of Hell is or it was just bad writing.
    Last edited by Jeffala; December 4th, 2007 at 09:15 AM. Reason: correct gross factual errors

Sitting in a corner, waiting for the 3rd SG1 movie

It's called suspending disbelief. We can pretend like they're really in the Pegasus galaxy doing all these lovely things, but at the end of the day, they're being fed lines by writers who are working for a primarily American audience. They're going to use "miles", "Hell" and "Sweet!" because that makes it accessible to more people. If they started inventing units of measurement, people would get annoyed having to figure out what a "darblat" or a "apsco" is every episode (except die-harders). You just have to accept all the Earth terminology just like you accept the fact that all the aliens speak English.

Are the Stargate aliens showing too many Tau'ri behaviorism and speech patterns?

Not only do they all seem to be using the Imperial, and to a much lesser extent also the metric, System, they also use a lot of Earth (specifically American) expressions.

Am I the only one who was irked at this? The suspension of disbelief is almost all gone by now. Ronon and Teyla (to a lesser extent) have become so earthified they feel and sound just like pretty much any other Earthling.
    I can accept some Earth mannerisms/words as simply those that Ronon and Teyla have absorbed while hanging around Sheppard. However, yes, everybody speaks English, etc. but that's for the viewer's benefit. And nobody seems to have problem with times, dates, length of years, etc. even if they live on a different planet with a different rotation.

OMG , you are not alone that bugs the hell out of me , they should be like an Athosian and a Satedan , not acting all earth like they are not from there

May the odds be ever in your Favor ! oh and please say hello to me on Skype and Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Darien View Post
    That's probably not the only respect in which Lucius was the worst...
    *snort* Oh, boy, is that an understatement!

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffala View Post
    Ronon's word choices indicate that he's assimilated to Earth culture and it's not really surprising.

What I didn't like is when in Rising, Sumner tells the Wraith keeper lady to "go to hell" and she, completely understanding the phrase, responds, "Earth first!" Now, either she's intelligent enough to infer the meaning of the phrase without understanding what the concept of Hell is or it was just bad writing.
    In case you hadn't noticed, the queens have a pretty good psychic ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
    that's nothing. what about:

SHEPPARD: Hey, buddy, you wanna lower your gun?
    RONON: What the hell?
    I'm sure that most cultures have a concept of an underworld.

The fact that everyone speaks English in a whole other galaxy bothers me more.
    Last edited by cityofroses; December 4th, 2007 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cityofroses View Post
    The fact that everyone speaks in English in a whole other galaxy bothers me more.
    See, at least Star Trek had the Universal Translator to fall back on.

Brigadier General

...you want them to speak French?

First Lieutenant JackHarkness_Hot's Avatar

In regards to the use of Imperial units (or what you Americans call it, English units), only 3 countries actually utilises it, United Kingdom (not so much now as 90% uses metric, 10% that do use it are actually the older generations), Canada and the United States.

In terms of whether it's a good idea or not to use metric, well they should be using it, especially on Stargate Atlantis. Say you're a scientist from Germany that have to calculate something in regards to distance, firstly you're gonna calculate something in metric as you're taught in school and universities then just so American/Canadian members can understand your calculations, you have to convert it to Imperial units. (Thus, more or less the scientists are "dumbing" down).

It wastes time and efforts - basically only 2 countries out of the whole entire planet uses Imperial and imo it's rather preposterous. There's a reason why we Brits call it Imperial, cos it's an ancient form of measurement.

It's easy to use:

10 millimetre/er = 1 centimetre/er
    100 centimetre/er = 1 metre/er
    1000 metre/er = 1 kilometre/er

What's so difficult about that? The currency more or less uses the similar format - 100 cents = $1.

Personally, I think the writers should learn and appreciate if Atlantis was solely an American base then yeah, use Imperial but if it consists of international scientists, then they should re-frame from using Imperial units.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast