This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Mortal Coil from star terk voyager

The episode commences with the wedding of Torres to Paris. Shortly thereafter, B'Elanna becomes violently ill. When Paris brings her to sickbay, it is already filling with other sick crewmembers. The Doctor finds that B'Elanna's cellular structure is breaking down, and she is deteriorating. He is powerless to do anything for her except make her comfortable. Paris barely has time to say goodbye to his wife before she dies.

Chakotay and Tuvok look into Voyager's recent history to try and figure out what might have precipitated the crew's illness. About a year earlier, they visited a Class Y "demon planet" which was colonized by a silver liquid biomemetic compound. When they left the planet they allowed the "silver blood" to sample the crew's DNA and populate the planet with copies of themselves. When the Doctor runs tests on her body, injecting a dichromate catalyst, B'Elanna disintegrates into the metallic compound. The crew realizes that they are, in fact, the duplicates. The ship itself has been duplicated as well, and is slowly falling apart around them.

Captain Janeway finds it unrealistic to try and retrace thousands of light years to return to the demon planet, so she keeps an eye out for another, similar planet of Class Y where they might be able to prevent the degradation of the ship and their own bodies. The planet's atmosphere may be the only thing that will keep them alive. As soon as sensors detect a Class Y planet, they set a course. They cannot get near it, however, as there is a vessel there that warns them off with phaser fire.

Voyager retreats and Janeway orders the crew to find another demon planet. Chakotay starts to question her command. The crew is beginning to remember what it was before Voyager came, and their home is the original demon planet. They insist Voyager turn back and try to reach home. Chakotay begins to destabilize and is the next crew member to die. Close to death herself, Janeway decides to turn the malfunctioning ship around and set a course for the demon planet as he wanted.

Still a few weeks out from the planet, Janeway finally dies. Acting captain Harry Kim tries to hold the melting ship together and mobilize the few remaining crew, including Seven of Nine. He understands that Voyager will not make it back to the demon planet, and the only thing left to do is to store all of the ship's computer files in a signal beacon so that perhaps someone might find it someday and the crew's lives will not be forgotten. Unfortunately, the ship is failing to respond, its systems too far disintegrated. Shortly before they die, Kim and Seven detect a vessel nearby, and hope to communicate with it. Voyager will not respond to commands to drop out of warp, so they attempt to eject the warp core to bring the ship to a stop. It is their final action, as the force of the ejection system disintegrates the ship completely.

The approaching vessel is the real Voyager and her crew. They pick up a strange, indecipherable signal on sensors and come across a cloud of mysterious metallic liquid debris. The crew are mildly curious about the odd liquid, but since there is nothing to investigate, they make a quick note in the ship's log and go on their way.

and what's your point?

Other than the obvious fact the episode names are the same, which isn't uncommon.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
      and what's your point?

Other than the obvious fact the episode names are the same, which isn't uncommon.
      Its an anti rant saying that The Mortial Coil is going to be a ripoff of a Voyager episode
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Its an anti rant saying that The Mortial Coil is going to be a ripoff of a Voyager episode
        Yup! Just like people are saying it's a rip off from Tin Man...um not that Tin Man that has been advertised till our eyes bleed. The SG-1 episode one! After reading the spoilers, it is nothing like the episode Tin Man.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
          and what's your point?

The episode names weren't the same. Leous is trying to imply that the idea of TMC is a ripoff.

He/she did it in the wrong way though. The title should say 'SPOILERS' and he/she should actually explain what they mean, for those who have not seen the spoilers or that episode of ST:V.

Spoiler:
          I personally disagree with the assesment. I doubt Voyager was the first to have duplicates. It is what you do with the idea that makes something more original. IMO, from what I have seen, the idea ties in very well with the Asurans, it seems a logical course of action and should make for an exciting episode. I really enjoyed that Voyager episode, and I expect I will enjoy TMC alot more.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
            Yup! Just like people are saying it's a rip off from Tin Man...um not that Tin Man that has been advertised till our eyes bleed. The SG-1 episode one! After reading the spoilers, it is nothing like the episode Tin Man.
            Like I said, it is all about how the idea is done. Again, I think this ties in very well with the way the Asurans were going, if it were real it would be a very plausible possibility.

Comment

I already know it's going to be a ripoff, but I expect it to rip off 'Double Jeopardy' instead, with the RepliClones being killed off while doing something that saves people and kills a bad guy.

Or will ripoff 'Gemini' and turn out that the RepliClones want to take over the Asurans and we'll end up helping. Plus we could see a lot of recreations similar to how Fifth tested Replicarter.

Or it will ripoff 'Progeny' and the ReplClones will want to be deactivated, killed, or something like that only to end up turning against them and trying to kill them.

Or it could be like DS9 and at some point it turns out that one of them is a Replicator and tries to kill everyone (like when Bashir was a founder)

Or it could ripoff 'Reckoning' and the RepliClones are out and about (similar to Double Jeopardy) and killing people.

The truth is, there is a lot of stuff the whole double thing could ripoff, and these are just mostly ripping off itself.

sigpic

Comment

The Voyager episode is titled "Course: Oblivion."
                GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Originally posted by SGFerrit View Post
                  Like I said, it is all about how the idea is done. Again, I think this ties in very well with the way the Asurans were going, if it were real it would be a very plausible possibility.
                  Spoiler:

Well what I was saying was this episode could make the Asurans/Replicators more complex. Now they can use nanites to repair human tissue and whatnot. It's a huge step in the evolution.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                    The Voyager episode is titled "Course: Oblivion."
                    Indeed. The Voyager episode called "Mortal Coil" is about Neelix dying and being brought back to life by Borg technology.

Comment

Episode titles are overused all the time and you can do (obviously as SaberBlade pointed out) alternative takes on the same plot to alter the story quite a bit. It might be the next SGA episode is yet another iteration of the same plot but done differently.

Comment

Working...
                      X