No announcement yet.

B5 on religion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kind of confused. Are you guys talking about religion in Babyllon 5 Universe or todays life?
    We are born capable of greatness... If we are to be who we are, and what we are; if we are to accomplish great things, then we must learn the heart's most essential rule:

Comment

Originally posted by EarthandBeyond View Post
      Kind of confused. Are you guys talking about religion in Babyllon 5 Universe or todays life?
      hehe, both. Basically how religion was presented in B5, and how that compares to our real life experiences and our other TV-watching experiences. Anything you want really, as long as we can all remain civil.

Comment

Originally posted by kmiller1610 View Post
        The God I believe in wants man to achieve sacrificial love, which is the central theme of B5. If an atheist can attain that state. I personally think God is pleased because I think God is love.

There are so many scenes in B5 that perfectly illustrate this love and I don't want to get sappy, but JMS understands what can be good in a religious belief far more than many religionists: love, faith in the face of danger, forgiveness, desire to serve and form communities.
        Hmm, I like this idea of God being love. And I agree with the last sentence totally. A religionist can do very bad things in the name of god, being one of them is not a guarantee to live one's life as god would wish to.
        'One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
        One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them'

SGA fanfiction I'm translating to english. It's a novel!

Comment

From the pen of my favorite atheist:

If I take a lamp and shine toward the wall, a bright spot will appear on the wall. The lamp is our search for truth, for understanding. Too often we assume the light on the wall is god. But the light is not the goal of the search, it is the result of the search. The more intense the search, the brighter the light on the wall. The brighter the light on the wall, the greater the revelation upon seeing it. Similarly, someone who does not search, who does not bring a lantern with him, sees nothing. What we perceive as god is the byproduct of our search for god. It may simply be an appreciation of the light, pure and unblemished. Not understanding that it comes from us. Sometimes, we stand in front of the light and assume we are the center of the universe. God looks astonishingly like we do, or turn to look at our shadow and assume all is darkness. If we allow ourselves to get in the way, we defeat the purpose, which is to use the light of our search to illuminate the wall in all its beauty and all its flaws, and in doing so better understand the world around us.

Meditations on the Abyss

Happy Holidays to all seekers here at Gateworld ...

Comment

Originally posted by kmiller1610 View Post
            From the pen of my favorite atheist:

If I take a lamp and shine toward the wall, a bright spot will appear on the wall. The lamp is our search for truth, for understanding. Too often we assume the light on the wall is god. But the light is not the goal of the search, it is the result of the search. The more intense the search, the brighter the light on the wall. The brighter the light on the wall, the greater the revelation upon seeing it. Similarly, someone who does not search, who does not bring a lantern with him, sees nothing. What we perceive as god is the byproduct of our search for god. It may simply be an appreciation of the light, pure and unblemished. Not understanding that it comes from us. Sometimes, we stand in front of the light and assume we are the center of the universe. God looks astonishingly like we do, or turn to look at our shadow and assume all is darkness. If we allow ourselves to get in the way, we defeat the purpose, which is to use the light of our search to illuminate the wall in all its beauty and all its flaws, and in doing so better understand the world around us.

Meditations on the Abyss

Happy Holidays to all seekers here at Gateworld ...
            Talking about awsome wrightning skills!
            Really liked that episode. I only wish Lennier would have told some more about Valen at the end of that conversation.
            We are born capable of greatness... If we are to be who we are, and what we are; if we are to accomplish great things, then we must learn the heart's most essential rule:

Comment

Working...
            X