Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Built in sword arms? I must have missed that, when was that shown?

I did notice, though, that the old Centurions carry guns rather than having them built-in like the new Centurions. Which is sort of what led me to conclude these ones were not originally intended for combat.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      Built in sword arms? I must have missed that, when was that shown?

I did notice, though, that the old Centurions carry guns rather than having them built-in like the new Centurions. Which is sort of what led me to conclude these ones were not originally intended for combat.
      Its shown in the razor flashback where Adama and the old centurion plummet to the ground. When the centurion is de-gunned, he flicks his wrist and a sword thing slides out.

Comment

I think there may be some confusion over the original cylons as portrayed in the original series, and the original cylons as portrayed in this episode and these "flashbacks" (which I admit i did not see). I'm pretty sure that i have seen every original epsiode, and they never produced any sort of sword from their arms. In fact, if i had to describe the cylons of the original series, they were clumsy, slow, and very easy to take down. I remember one of the episodes where one of the "goldies" actually has some intelligence and i believe has an old school duel with starbuck at the end. I think its classic that if this is the "cylon god" that it is being protected by these old school centurions. The only thing missing is the "sparkly cone head" model.

Comment

Originally posted by giblet_solution View Post
          I think there may be some confusion over the original cylons as portrayed in the original series, and the original cylons as portrayed in this episode and these "flashbacks" (which I admit i did not see). I'm pretty sure that i have seen every original epsiode, and they never produced any sort of sword from their arms. In fact, if i had to describe the cylons of the original series, they were clumsy, slow, and very easy to take down. I remember one of the episodes where one of the "goldies" actually has some intelligence and i believe has an old school duel with starbuck at the end. I think its classic that if this is the "cylon god" that it is being protected by these old school centurions. The only thing missing is the "sparkly cone head" model.
          The Cylons in the original series did indeed have swords, pretty big ones too. They carried them on their belts. To my knowledge however, they were never unsheathed on screen. The new retro cylons don't have a seperate sword anymore, as it seems to be integrated into their arm now.

Comment

Ah that's right, I forgot about that.

I'm still not sure we've had enough information to call the old Centurions purpose-built combat machines. We know they rebelled against their creators and began to manufacture fighters and capital ships which were no doubt not all that dissimilar from the human counterparts that inspired them. And in the heat of war, I doubt very much that they would have had the time to redesign their own basic structure to be more combat-ready. A blade installed in the arm seems like a quick and easy upgrade without having to make any fundamental changes to their overall structure.

But this is just me speculating.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

True true, speculation is all we can do without it covered on screen. However, As you said, they were manufacturing capships and fighters, I imagine they started manufacturing purpose built ground troops too.. Enter the centurions. We still have no idea what the original rebellious model of cylon looked like.

Comment

That's a pretty reasonable assumption I have to admit, but with the old Centurion 'cameo' in the miniseries and their reappearance in Razor I think we're intended to believe that that's the original Cylon model. Maybe we'll see more if Caprica ever comes to be.

It also seems a bit that the old Cylons may not have been the most efficient critters anyway. I can't think of any rational reason why a fighter would need to be manned by three Centurions, if we're to ignore the fact that it's in actuality just a throwback to the original BSG.
                Last edited by DigiFluid; 24 November 2007, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by giblet_solution View Post
                  What I caught, if you remember the mini-series, when Galactica's hanger was a museum, there was a Cylon that was pretty much exactly like one from TOS. The cylon's that were shown in Razor, at least from my perspective were a cross from the new model centurion, from the waist down and original cylon centurion from the waist up. Sort of like the centurion's from Razor were Cylon bots 1.5, and in the new ones are Cylon bots 2.0.

On to Razor, thought it was pretty damn good. Few things I didn't like. When Apollo was going to fire the nuke at the ship, Adama stops him but then 2 minutes later, when they have to leave someone behind, Adama says, Hey man its your call who lives and dies, its your team. I was like a few minutes ago you just stopped him from making that call, now you want him to make it again? Just thought that particular scene wasn't necessary.

I would have liked to have seen more of Kendra Shaw, its a shame that she was a one off character. I did like at the end when Adama was basically saying he could have been the same as Cain, if not for the President, that's pretty much how I felt since season 2.

Comment

So, was this just a one off episode or part of a mini series? I thought it was supposed to be something like 3 or 4 episodes long.
                    Wraith, the OTHER white meat.
                    Loyalty above all else, except Honor.

Comment

It was a made-for-TV movie that's technically part of the 22-episode season 4 order, but is not actually part of season 4, if you can work your way through the semantics of that.

Comment

Honestly I think its supposed to be pretty obvious that the Centurion we see in the miniseries museum is supposed to be the same type we see in Razor. They probably didn't forsee that type's return to action at the time they were making the mini so they didn't put much thougt into its appearance other than a cool cameo. It, like the one in Galactic, are both seen in Cylon War museums, and as the Razor Flashbacks show, the Centurions that fought in the Cylon war are the exact same as the ones we saw in Razor.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          It was a made-for-TV movie that's technically part of the 22-episode season 4 order, but is not actually part of season 4, if you can work your way through the semantics of that.
                          ah well. That really diminishes it then. Good as an episode, good as part of a miniseries, weak and lame for a one off. I was expecting atleast 1 more episode or part to this much hyped "Razor". Considering how much they promoted it, you'd have thought it was much more than it was.

It was good. Jumped around a bit too much for my tastes.
                          Wraith, the OTHER white meat.
                          Loyalty above all else, except Honor.

Comment

Originally posted by Arative View Post
                            What I caught, if you remember the mini-series, when Galactica's hanger was a museum, there was a Cylon that was pretty much exactly like one from TOS. The cylon's that were shown in Razor, at least from my perspective were a cross from the new model centurion, from the waist down and original cylon centurion from the waist up. Sort of like the centurion's from Razor were Cylon bots 1.5, and in the new ones are Cylon bots 2.0.

On to Razor, thought it was pretty damn good. Few things I didn't like. When Apollo was going to fire the nuke at the ship, Adama stops him but then 2 minutes later, when they have to leave someone behind, Adama says, Hey man its your call who lives and dies, its your team. I was like a few minutes ago you just stopped him from making that call, now you want him to make it again? Just thought that particular scene wasn't necessary.

I would have liked to have seen more of Kendra Shaw, its a shame that she was a one off character. I did like at the end when Adama was basically saying he could have been the same as Cain, if not for the President, that's pretty much how I felt since season 2.
                            I also enjoy that Adama line. The presence of the President, and her decision to put life ahead pure revenge made the difference.....and Adama´s decision to listened to her. Cain would have staged a military coup being in Adama´s position. I have no doubts about it.

Comment

Oh....my....God! That was an awesome ride! This was kind of like filling in the gaps of what happened to the Pegasus, and Cain. Oh.....but watching Cain go darker and darker was just creepy and fascinating all the same time. Man....she was a hard a s s b*tch. When she shot Steve Bacic's character (forget his name), I was totally stunned. Then, Kendra shooting those civilians was just horrible.

We did get a lot of answers and explanations of how the Cylons started cloning humans. That was just nasty. That guy in the tub said something about Starbuck (Kara), but I'm not sure what he meant by it. Could it mean that Kara is a Cylon? Then, the explanation of how Six was captured on Pegasus, and tortured. Cain was ruthless and brutal. Kendra too went down that dark spiral.

I did like seeing the old school Cylon bots with their fighters.

That movie went so fast, though. When it was over, I couldn't believe it was over. So much happens so quickly and so fast, its a wonder I can remember what I just watched. After it was over, I still had to try to get it all straight in my head.

Although, the movie gave us some answers, I think it left us with more questions.

It......was......GOOD!
                              Last edited by Sue_Jackson; 25 November 2007, 04:45 AM.
                              sigpic
                              Follow me on Twitter! I'm on Facebook!

Comment

A lot of the Razor "flashbacks" broadcast during other shows over the past several weeks, didn't even make the final cut, and now Skiffy is advertising a "Special Extended Version!" that you can buy in stores. That's why this two hour movie seemed a bit disjointed, like something was "missing". It was.

I bet this was supposed to be a 3-hour movie and it was chopped to two, with Skiffy Suits expecting a big bankroll when everyone runs to buy the "Extended" version. Sorry dudes, I'm not biting at your greed! While I loved this movie, all the scenes you've been showing SHOULD have been in the final product.

I loved this movie, but I hate Skiffy!

BTW, loved the old-style Cylons and noticed they were different from TOS Cylons, but there was a lot of talk about these old-styles being some sort of hybrids, so I went with the flow.

The Cone-Head Cylon from TOS was called Lucifer, and he was cool!

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Working...
                                X