Star Trek TOS Season One HD-DVD/DVD Box Set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek TOS Season One HD-DVD/DVD Box Set

I finally got my HD-DVD/DVD Set today. To my dissappointment the horrible packaging of the DVDs almost split Disc 1 into two. It has a tear through one quarter of the disc. This didn't happen while I tried to get the disc out. It came that way. The inner DVD-holder presents 10 double sided DVDs in a cheap paper "box". The DVDs are stacked on a very cheap plastic tray which is easily breakable. You have to flip through the tray to inspect each DVD. By every move the plastic tray breaks apart a bit more. If that is not all. Disc one is completely unprotected and the horrible hard plastic outer package which holds the DVD-holder crushes disc one causing it to snap "in half". This must have happened all the way back at the factory. Wow Paramount. What kind of quality control department are you running? I requested a replacement from Amazon.com.

I haven't watched any of the other nine DVDs which are fine (no scratches and tears) because I want to watch the show in the correct order. Damn! All I want is normal DVD-Holders like the slime line packaging Stargate uses. I hate these big DVD-Display-Packages which look cool but do nothing but damage the discs.

If any one wants pictures of this horrible set I'll post them.

Originally posted by SierraGolf-OneNiner View Post
    I haven't watched any of the other nine DVDs which are fine (no scratches and tears) because I want to watch the show in the correct order. Damn! All I want is normal DVD-Holders like the slime line packaging Stargate uses. I hate these big DVD-Display-Packages which look cool but do nothing but damage the discs.

I had a similar experience with my Babylon 5 DVDs. Season one looked like it had been slinkied down the stairs of the CN tower. Why can't everyone just package their DVDs like the Firefly DVDs? Slim attractive cases, sturdy case design, DVDs securely held in place yet very easy to extract, and they take up less space disk for disk than the older Stargate packaging (which is pretty decent, but too bulky).

Have you seen the Enterprise packaging? Shockingly poor (but not as bad as B5). I seem to recall reading that the Voyager packaging is crap too.

Comment

Originally posted by SierraGolf-OneNiner View Post
      I wouldn't mind, if it's not too much trouble?
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Here are the images.

Spoiler:

Look at the sides. The hardplastic box crushes the edges causing the DVD to break.

I began watching the other DVDs. I don't have a HD-DVD Player so I watch the Standard DVDs. The Picture is clean and crisp. The colors are very rich. I noticed details from the set and the uniforms which you weren't able to see before. This time it really is 5.1 surround sound. One has to excuse the poor packaging of this set, the DVDs actually are quite great.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
          I had a similar experience with my Babylon 5 DVDs. Season one looked like it had been slinkied down the stairs of the CN tower. Why can't everyone just package their DVDs like the Firefly DVDs? Slim attractive cases, sturdy case design, DVDs securely held in place yet very easy to extract, and they take up less space disk for disk than the older Stargate packaging (which is pretty decent, but too bulky).

Have you seen the Enterprise packaging? Shockingly poor (but not as bad as B5). I seem to recall reading that the Voyager packaging is crap too.
          I haven't bought B5 DVDs yet. Thanks for the heads up.

I have both Enterprise and Voyager DVDs. Yeah the packaging is crap but still a thousand times better than the new TOS set.

Comment

Wow, I gotta say, after seeing pictures I'm really not that impressed with the box or box art. Thanks though for posting it. Green'd.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Those look remarkably similar to the Enterprise DVD cases and boxes (with mild revisions). I'm surprised they didn't change the design since the cases for Enterprise got panned across the board as horrible. Fortunately my Enterprise DVDs came completely intact except that the DVDs had all fallen out of their holders. If the mailguy had dropped the package they'd have been cracked just like yours were.

I was disappointed with the poor quality of those cases.

Comment

I'm going to buy my box set one of these days, as soon as I have some money. I'm addicted to TOS remastered. But I'll have to watch the DVD because I don't own a HD-DVD player.
                sigpic

Comment

I LOVE my Star Trek: Remastered season 1 DVD/HD-DVD combo set! I was fortunate there was no damage to my case or DVDs. I'm just saddened that the DVD format war made Blue-Ray the winner and that seasons 2 & 3 won't be available for the time being. Even if they do come out, the sets won't match season 1
                  sigpic

Jaffa Kree!

Comment

Blu-Ray is superior, and I wasn't at all surprised that it won. Hopefully all seasons will be released on Blu-Ray aswell.

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
                    The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

Originally posted by Goauld System Lord View Post
                      I LOVE my Star Trek: Remastered season 1 DVD/HD-DVD combo set! I was fortunate there was no damage to my case or DVDs. I'm just saddened that the DVD format war made Blue-Ray the winner and that seasons 2 & 3 won't be available for the time being. Even if they do come out, the sets won't match season 1
                      Toshiba was funding the remastering, and they've cancelled the project now. No season 2 and 3 on HD-DVD, Bluray, or on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher65 View Post
                        Toshiba was funding the remastering, and they've cancelled the project now. No season 2 and 3 on HD-DVD, Bluray, or on TV.
                        No, Toshiba only funded the HD-DVD, not the TV part.

Originally posted by TrekMovie.com
                        UPDATE: Star Trek Remastered in syndication unchanged
                        Some fans have raised concerns over the future of the Star Trek Remastered series that currently runs in syndication. It has been reported that Toshiba has been providing funding for HD DVD project and will end that funding. However, even if true, this funding would only relate to the HD DVD development and not the syndicated series. As far as TrekMovie.com can tell, the remastered Star Trek will continue to air new episodes until next fall (by which time the entire series will have been completed).
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ./freelancer View Post
                          Blu-Ray is superior, and I wasn't at all surprised that it won. Hopefully all seasons will be released on Blu-Ray aswell.
                          Hmm... Define “superior.” Does Blu-ray have greater GB per layer and support greater bandwidth than HD-DVD? Yes. Is it more consumer friendly? In my opinion, no.

With less DRM restrictions, no region coding, and the versatility of recording to the HD-DVD format, I think HD-DVD was far more consumer friendly than Blu-ray. And, with advanced codecs such VC-1, it has been proven time and time again that picture quality on HD-DVD can, and often does, look just as good (in some cases better) than its Blu-ray counterpart.

Of course, all of that is moot now. I find it ironic that many are now asking on Internet forums when region-free Blu-ray players will become widely available.

As for Star Trek-Remastered on HD-DVD; I have thoroughly enjoyed it and don’t regret the purchase for one moment. I’ll be happy to pick up Seasons 2 and 3 when they become available on Blu-ray. (And admittedly, I will probably repurchase Season 1 on Blu-ray too.)

I never had any issues with my packaging, and the discs arrived unscathed. However, I will admit that it’s incredibly impractical. It looks cool sitting on the shelf, but it’s a pain to open in order to access the discs. I also dislike the separated info cards.
                          "Fighting a war that appears unwinnable does not make one's cause less noble."
                          - Master Bra'tac

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Dan View Post
                            Hmm... Define “superior.” Does Blu-ray have greater GB per layer and support greater bandwidth than HD-DVD? Yes. Is it more consumer friendly? In my opinion, no.

With less DRM restrictions, no region coding, and the versatility of recording to the HD-DVD format, I think HD-DVD was far more consumer friendly than Blu-ray. And, with advanced codecs such VC-1, it has been proven time and time again that picture quality on HD-DVD can, and often does, look just as good (in some cases better) than its Blu-ray counterpart.
                            I'll admit to being less informed here. I didn't know that HD-DVD didn't have region coding and had less DRM restrictions? However, didn't people say the same things about DVD? Copy protection and region coding on DVDs has little to no impact nowadays.
                            Btw, what do you mean by "versatility of recording to the HD-DVD format"?

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
                            The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos View Post
                              No, Toshiba only funded the HD-DVD, not the TV part.
                              Oh cool. I'm glad it's not being completely toasted. I thought I'd read that it was.

Comment

Working...
                              X