Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strategic mistakes...all wrong...horribly, horribly wrong...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strategic mistakes...all wrong...horribly, horribly wrong...

I thought that as a Colonel in the airforce, Carter would know exactly how to respond to these simple problems. Even I was able to figure out how to avoid all the mess in the episode while watching it.
    •First mistake: Sending the team to a possible ambush when they could have searched with the jumpers or life sign device and expose the wraiths' locations, capturing them before they were able to momentarily surround the team. The team could've been shot on the spot and valuable lives could've been lost when it could've been avoided.
    •Second mistake: Bringing the wraith to Atlantis. Self explanatory. They really need to establish an alpha site so that they don't endanger the city anymore.
    •Third mistake: Not cloaking when the first hive ship arrived. The hive ships could've known which planet Atlantis was on but if Atlantis cloaked, there would be no way for the ship to find the exact location of the city. This would work only if the transmission device was removed and disabled from the wraith or if he was sent to another planet. This could have prevented the second hive ship from locating Atlantis as well. If Atlantis cloaked before the second ship arrived but after the first one arrived, the first ship could've told the second ship where to fire its weapons (if they were working together).

I'm just so disappointed with Carter's poor military leadership. She got extremely lucky when the second ship attacked the first ship and wasn't working together with the first ship in order to attack and destroy Atlantis.

Originally posted by o-0 View Post
    I thought that as a Colonel in the airforce, Carter would know exactly how to respond to these simple problems. Even I was able to figure out how to avoid all the mess in the episode while watching it.
    •First mistake: Sending the team to a possible ambush when they could have searched with the jumpers or life sign device and expose the wraiths' locations, capturing them before they were able to momentarily surround the team. The team could've been shot on the spot and valuable lives could've been lost when it could've been avoided.
    Wrong. As a retired officer I can tell you that she would not have done that. Knowing it's an ambush they came prepared but you don't want to give the Wraith our technology or risk too many lives. Hence sending the top team was the right call.
    •Second mistake: Bringing the wraith to Atlantis. Self explanatory. They really need to establish an alpha site so that they don't endanger the city anymore.
    They didn't have much choice in the matter we needed his intel.
    •Third mistake: Not cloaking when the first hive ship arrived. The hive ships could've known which planet Atlantis was on but if Atlantis cloaked, there would be no way for the ship to find the exact location of the city. This would work only if the transmission device was removed and disabled from the wraith or if he was sent to another planet. This could have prevented the second hive ship from locating Atlantis as well. If Atlantis cloaked before the second ship arrived but after the first one arrived, the first ship could've told the second ship where to fire its weapons (if they were working together).
    In which case the Wraith would have made an agressive move the minute they arrived and we needed their trust.

I'm just so disappointed with Carter's poor military leadership. She got extremely lucky when the second ship attacked the first ship and wasn't working together with the first ship in order to attack and destroy Atlantis.
    Her leadership has been great and she made the right call.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

on the first note Rodney didn't see them get fired upon by the Wraith. secondly the Wraith don't kill people they like to feed on them. (having Pj's there prevented that from happening). I agree with your second part they shouldn't have taken him to Atlantis.

The Wraith at this point would do them no good to destroy Atlantis weather they like it or not there is no way for them to shut down the attack code. So they need us alive.

I think she did well to stop John from firing drones that would have gave away the position of the city and would have let the second hive ship send out and APB to every Wraith hive ship.
      Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffer View Post
        on the first note Rodney didn't see them get fired upon by the Wraith. secondly the Wraith don't kill people they like to feed on them. (having Pj's there prevented that from happening). I agree with your second part they shouldn't have taken him to Atlantis.
        The SGA team have been a pain in the wraith's side every since they stepped foot in pegasus, I'm sure they wouldn't think twice about killing them out of spite and getting close enough to feed might be a factor.

BTW Like your sig .

Comment

an aplha site would of been more approiate and have atlantis gate mckays equipmet there where the wraith and him would work on the virus, that way only the wraith hive would noe about that planet not atlantis but then again mckay is popular with the wraith as mentioned by johns wraith buddy so they would know he is from atlantis
          sigpic

Comment

Wrong. As a retired officer I can tell you that she would not have done that. Knowing it's an ambush they came prepared but you don't want to give the Wraith our technology or risk too many lives. Hence sending the top team was the right call.
            Are you serious?? You don't use your own people as bait or leave them in the open no matter how much support you have for them!

They didn't have much choice in the matter we needed his intel.
            They could've easily obtained his intel on another planet (if they had an alpha site or just a secure place).

In which case the Wraith would have made an agressive move the minute they arrived and we needed their trust.
            How can they make an aggressive move if they don't know where Atlantis is? They only know the planet that Atlantis is on but that's thousands of square miles to shoot at.

Comment

o-O is correct. Guys, I know you really love this show, but it's really not necessary to defend gaping holes in logic when they (frequently) come up.

Comment

Originally posted by AutumnDream View Post
                o-O is correct. Guys, I know you really love this show, but it's really not necessary to defend gaping holes in logic when they (frequently) come up.
                sry I don't think so, I agree with Mitchell82

btw I too believe they should establish an Alpha site
                sigpic
                The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

as do i.

carter may not be as good as hammond or jack but she's still made all the right calls.
                  Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

They took the proper precautions by
                    Spoiler:
                    bringing the cloaked jumpers in

It may be unorthodox, but they're in a situation where the need to be unorthodox at times.
                    I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

actually o-0, the correct terminology in your case would be "tactical" not "strategic". They mean different things. But you're wrong anyway

Comment

On point one: they had the tactical advantage of knowing he wasnt alone. They were not walking into an ambush, they were setting one.

Point two: gotta agree there. Not smart. They just moved it and now they bring another wraith there - I thought that was dumb from the beginning. His tracking device proved me right.

Point three: Who is to say they had time. That would require removing the device, then cloaking. By then the ship could have pinpointed there exact location on the planet and they would have been left valunerable - cloak = no shield. Sometimes, you just have to trust people.
                        : I would very much like to have a weapon such as this.
                        : Yeah, Get in line.

Comment

Obviously the first hive knows where Atlantis is, and we're not even sure THEY won't fire on us once we cloak, and so we didn't.

Comment

I don't think u can pinpoint the exact location on a planet from a subspace signal when you're as far away as the ship was, so there wouldve been plenty of time to remove the device and cloak.

Comment

hardly. they're pretty advanced sensors. plus all you need is a rough idea of where the city is and keep fireing until you hit the city.
                              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Working...
                              X