No announcement yet.

So the Athosians ... do we care?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i don't know if this sounds mean , if they died Teyla would have nowhere else to go , but Atlantis , i believe my other questions is if they are coming back at all
    sigpic
    May the odds be ever in your Favor ! oh and please say hello to me on Skype and Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
      The writers don't care about the Athosians, so why should I? I didn't even care when it was possible that they had all been killed.
      Wow really hard on TPTB arent you. They do care and when they disappeared I was quite concerned.
      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
        exactly. I admit they've had an influence on Teyla but other than that I don't see why they'd be important. I can't remember the first eps very good but I do know that I found them somehow annoying (similar to the telepaths on B5 in s5, god how they annoyed me)
        Of course you found them annoying, the writers did nothing with them. I, honestly, found them a little annoying myself. My point is that if they had have stayed on Atlantis, they would have been present in the background. During corridor scenes you'd see some ND Athosians as well as ND Atlantis personel. That would have kept them in the minds of the writers and maybe they would have developed a bit more. We'd have more recurring Athosian characters to interact with the cast. Imagine Star Trek DS9 if a few episodes in all the Bajorans except for Kira decided to go leave the station and go home.
        O'NEILL: For all we know, Daniel could came walking in that door right now.
        [Cut to shot of the door]
        [Cut back to O'Neill]
        O'NEILL: Any time now.
        [Cut back to door]

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
          Wow really hard on TPTB arent you. They do care and when they disappeared I was quite concerned.
          Okay, you just tried to rebut my statement by posting the exact opposite of what I said. Color me unconvinced.

Comment

Originally posted by DeRoest View Post
            do you seriously watch this show for those kind of moments? try soaps. leave stargate alone!

I know I'm new to this part of the sci-fi geek world...but have you looked at all the various "ship" threads around here? I think alot of them do.

I admit they've had an influence on Teyla but other than that I don't see why they'd be important.
            Maybe cause they're her neighbors and friends, as well as the first people who helped out the Atlantis expedition when they first arrived in this galaxy? But who cares...we got what we needed out of them? That's some moral high ground you're coming from there.

I'll admit that after the first couple episodes of them hanging around on Atlantis, the writers were probably afraid of turning these people into the endless supply of DS9 walking extras...and decided to relocate them off world. That being said, I think it'd be important for the Atlantis team to find out what happened to the Athosians.

Earlier someone compared it to hearing about some massive disaster in some third world country, and asked "who cares." Now imagine that you've become close friends with your next door neighbor, who happens to be from that part of the world. Not knowing if everyone they grew up with is live or dead...but you claim to be their friend (or are you just using her for her expertise in something) and say "who cares?"

I'm sorry if the Athosians never perfected their reality TV show to amuse you, but total apathey for their possible demise...just cause they're not here to amuse you...is a pretty low standard.

Here's an idea: maybe one of the Athosians kinda likes that second from the left girl scientist in episode #81...let's start a "ship" thread to discuss that; and maybe the writers will keep some of them alive?

Comment

Originally posted by krash View Post
              Maybe cause they're her neighbors and friends, as well as the first people who helped out the Atlantis expedition when they first arrived in this galaxy? But who cares...we got what we needed out of them? That's some moral high ground you're coming from there.

I'll admit that after the first couple episodes of them hanging around on Atlantis, the writers were probably afraid of turning these people into the endless supply of DS9 walking extras...and decided to relocate them off world. That being said, I think it'd be important for the Atlantis team to find out what happened to the Athosians.

Earlier someone compared it to hearing about some massive disaster in some third world country, and asked "who cares." Now imagine that you've become close friends with your next door neighbor, who happens to be from that part of the world. Not knowing if everyone they grew up with is live or dead...but you claim to be their friend (or are you just using her for her expertise in something) and say "who cares?"

I'm sorry if the Athosians never perfected their reality TV show to amuse you, but total apathey for their possible demise...just cause they're not here to amuse you...is a pretty low standard.

Here's an idea: maybe one of the Athosians kinda likes that second from the left girl scientist in episode #81...let's start a "ship" thread to discuss that; and maybe the writers will keep some of them alive?
              I think you misunderstood me. first of all I do like the Athosians and I really want to know what happened to them too. yes they're the first people we met in the PG but as you yourself pointed out after the first few eps they didn't do much. now, I said before the Athosians reminded me of the telepaths in s5 of B5 which I couldn't stand. but that's just my opinion and you are entitled to your own of course. I agree about the relocation, that was a good move. and yes once again I agree with you, I too think it's important for the Atlantis expedition to find out what happened to them. not only for themselves but most importantly because they care about Teyla and she needs to know

all I was trying to say was that the Athosians may have been of some significance in the first few eps back in s1, especially to Teyla. but other than that they haven't done anything of importance

as for the ship thread
              sigpic
              The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

I think caring about the disappearance of the Athosians depends on one of two things; firstly that we know and care about them as characters in their own right, but since we haven't really seen any other Athosians since Teyla's friend died in Season 2 I can't really relate to them so that one's out for me (and to me at least they were always a little too much of caricatures, a noble people suffering etc etc for me to develop any great attachment too.)

The second way IMO is that if we care about the person who cares about them (hope that makes sense), Teyla. We see their loss through how it effects her rather than as the characters missing from the show in their own right (as Beckett or Weir for example). Now well handled I think this could be quite an original way to tell a story but my problem really is that I don't feel I know Teyla's character much better than when she was introduced in Season 1. I like Teyla but so far don't really care about her character all that much so while in principle I like the idea of this story I'm so far feeling a little cold to it.

Comment

I hate the Athosians. I almost cheered when I heard they all died originally (only to find out they weren't all actually dead).
                  It would be nice for Teyla to lose her ties to that stupid defenseless group finally.

Comment

Working...
                  X