Return of the MALP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CalmStorm View Post
    I think the MALP is outdated. Can they not find a more compact model by now?
    well they sure wouldn't use a MALP from SG-1 s1. other than I don't see why it's outdated? it's still a pretty secure way of gathering intel

and yeah of course I miss it. hopefully we'll get to see it more often now that Carter's in charge
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Remind me what FRED was??

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
        well they sure wouldn't use a MALP from SG-1 s1. other than I don't see why it's outdated? it's still a pretty secure way of gathering intel
        It's huge, it doesn't seem to be all that maneuverable, I would think by now, they would be able to have a more compact model that can turn on a dime.

Comment

Originally posted by CalmStorm View Post
          It's huge, it doesn't seem to be all that maneuverable, I would think by now, they would be able to have a more compact model that can turn on a dime.
          like I said they wouldn't use a 10 year old MALP. of course it'd be updated with the newest tech and stuff
          sigpic
          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
            Remind me what FRED was??
            Field Remote Expeditionary Device.
            FRED was the automated equipment carrier that they'd roll through the gate whenever they had to take a lot of stuff.

FRED doesn't exist in real life.

Comment

I believe that they've used the MALP before on Atlantis...

from memory, the first time they encountered a space gate (Season 1 I think), they have the feed from the MALP as it falls towards the planet... with Mckay remarking something along the lines of "The gate's in orbit"

Also from memory, they sent a MALP through on first contact with the Asurans... I think?

Comment

Originally posted by Zepro View Post
                I believe that they've used the MALP before on Atlantis...

from memory, the first time they encountered a space gate (Season 1 I think), they have the feed from the MALP as it falls towards the planet... with Mckay remarking something along the lines of "The gate's in orbit"

Also from memory, they sent a MALP through on first contact with the Asurans... I think?
                Yerp you're right .

Comment

AH... Thanks for the info.

Comment

I think a micro-UAV would be cool or a toy helicopter
                    "You don't know half of it".
                    Former C.I.A. Director George Bush
                    (When asked about UFO secrecy by a member of his presidential campaign committee)

Comment

It would be boring if they featured the MALP in every single episode. Come to think of it, I don't remember a single time the MALP was used for seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1. I might just be going senile, but it's not like they were using it every single episode.

Nowadays, we don't see the team 'til they've already gated offworld, anyway, so we can safely assume that the MALPs are deployed and then pulled back before the episodes begin.

Comment

I think they should have something more modern as a MALP too. For instance, in season 1 when the MALP floats away from the space gate someone makes a remark like "there goes another MALP..."

It would be better if they had one that could recover from such things, maybe with thrusters on so it could stay hovering next to a space gate and a jumper could collect it. (I seriously doubt that the SGC just left all the MALPs they sent lying around on planets. It'd be quite a waste of money and would make the galaxy look messy!)

Comment

We know from in the serpents lair they tend to send the malps back to home once the team gets there... but with teams that don't get to go (due to the malp showing hostiles, or some other reason not to go, i cannot say how they would get it back.

Comment

Working...
                          X