This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VISIMAG.com: Stargate Articles in Cult Times, Starburst, TV Times, TV Zone

Figure since these mags are monthly, why create a new thread each time? One handy-dandy thread, if mods don't mind.

CULT TIMES #45

http://www.visimag.com/culttimes/cs45_display.htm

http://www.visimag.com/culttimes/cs45_feat01.htm

Radekal Science

excerpt:
    “It’s been another great year for me and my character,” enthuses [David} Nykl. “It’s a funny thing because I don’t know in advance just how many episodes I’m going to be asked to do. The first year I was in, I think, 10 out of 20, and it was the same the following season. Last year it was something like 14 out of 20, and in Season Four it’s going to be around 10 again, so Zelenka’s in pretty much every other episode, which is fantastic for a recurring character.
    “Of course, we hit the ground running once again this year. The fourth season opener, Adrift, is a whizz-bang, fantastic episode. I worked quite a lot with Joe Flanigan [Colonel John Sheppard] in that one. The two of us did a spacewalk wearing EVA [Extra Vehicular Activity] suits, and that was a blast. We had on these $35,000 exact replicas of NASA suits built by the very talented guys and gals at our great special effects shop on Atlantis. They got all the pictures and plans off the Internet, right down to the fine details, including a little flip-up mirror on your wrist where you can look and see all the buttons and switches on the chest panel of your suit. They’re labelled backwards, which enables you to read them in the mirror so you know what you’re turning on and off.

Special Issue #45 • ships from Oct 10 2007
    News-stand Price • UK £4.99 / US $9.99

In 100 pages…

STARGATE
    • We drop in on the cast and crew of the Stargate series, discovering what's coming in the new season of Atlantis and how things are progressing on the DVD movie front

Alan McCullough
    • Formerly a writer on SG-1, McCullough is now happily ensconced on Atlantis and prepared to tell us a few secrets about what's coming up in the fourth season
    Jason Momoa • The imposing Hawaiian drops by for a few words and some guitar strumming in the name of his third year on Atlantis. How's he getting on with this season's new arrivals?
    Jewel Staite • She may have arrived amidst the frenzied fan angst that accompanied the death of Carson Beckett, but Firefly's Jewel Staite is determined to make the role of new base doctor Jennifer Keller her own
    David Nykl
    • One of Atlantis's most entertaining supporting characters, Dr Radek Zelenka, has been around almost from day one. His alter ego, David Nykl, reveals how the good doctor is developing in the new season
    Kavan Smith
    • So good he can be in two genre shows at once, Kavan Smith discusses his experiences playing Major Lorne on Atlantis and Agent Jed Garrity on The 4400
    Christopher Judge
    • We can't do a Stargate Special without some SG-fun in there, so we tracked down Christopher Judge for his thoughts on 10 years of playing Teal'c and continuing the franchise into DVD movies

Not sure whether this is the best place for this or not, but don't really want to start a new thread just to ask - does anybody know what is happening with TV Zone, Cult Times and Starburst? I have a sub to TV Zone but I haven't received a new issue for ages now, and looking at their website, there are no details of what should be the latest issues of the various titles, but they are all seriously overdue. There does seem to be a new Stargate Special of TV Zone coming out (special # 82) but the only info I could find was how to buy a download copy of it, and it has certainly not landed on my doorstep yet! I've sent them an email asking when the next issue will be published but not had a reply yet, so I was just wondering whether anybody on here knows what the situation is?
    Please... leave the touching to the experts.

Comment

Originally posted by Catsitter View Post
      Not sure whether this is the best place for this or not, but don't really want to start a new thread just to ask - does anybody know what is happening with TV Zone, Cult Times and Starburst? I have a sub to TV Zone but I haven't received a new issue for ages now, and looking at their website, there are no details of what should be the latest issues of the various titles, but they are all seriously overdue. There does seem to be a new Stargate Special of TV Zone coming out (special # 82) but the only info I could find was how to buy a download copy of it, and it has certainly not landed on my doorstep yet! I've sent them an email asking when the next issue will be published but not had a reply yet, so I was just wondering whether anybody on here knows what the situation is?
      I would suggest contacting the editors directly. You'll probably have a better chance of a reply from them, rather than the mailorder inbox. Visimag's reputation for getting issues out on time has had its ups and downs and I happen to know the company is going through some major changes at the moment due to events I'm not going to mention on here, which may have affected the release schedule.

Also, Stargate is a big chunk of the company's bread and butter, as far as the titles that cover TV are concerned. And you can bet your home planet's weight in Naquadria the mags will have something Stargate related in them at least 10 out of the 13 (regular) issues a year.

Thing is, since the Official Stargate Magazine came out, I think the newer Stargate Specials haven't really had the weight the older ones did. You know, back when it was all SG-1 and people were getting pissy about Michael Shanks leaving (or coming back).
      CARTER: "I’m dressing up like Robin Hood, but part of my costume is missing, what have you got for me?"

HAMMOND: "You have a bow!"

Comment

Thanks for the info. I think the email address I sent my message to was the editorial one for TV Zone rather than the "mail order inbox" but will have to dig out an issue of the mag to check.

Personally, I much prefer the Visimag Stargate specials to the Official Stargate Magazine - more up to date and not restricted to giving out the "official" line on everything. Also the OSM tends to have quite a lot of fiction, quizzes etc that I'm not interested in, though of course each to his own.

I just hope they do get some magazines out eventually!

Comment

Originally posted by Catsitter View Post
          Thanks for the info. I think the email address I sent my message to was the editorial one for TV Zone rather than the "mail order inbox" but will have to dig out an issue of the mag to check.

Personally, I much prefer the Visimag Stargate specials to the Official Stargate Magazine - more up to date and not restricted to giving out the "official" line on everything. Also the OSM tends to have quite a lot of fiction, quizzes etc that I'm not interested in, though of course each to his own.

I just hope they do get some magazines out eventually!
          They're selling the magazines online as .pdf formats now...but they indicate the downloads are in advance of the print issues.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
          SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
          Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Yes, I did notice that the new TV Zone Stargate Special was available to download as a PDF, but I don't want to pay them for it as I still have a subscription. Hopefully if they never do print it, they might let subscribers download it without paying?

I haven't had a reply to my email yet.

Comment

I'm glad I found this thread. I have been buying TV Zone for as long as I can remember (well for about 15 years!), and I've been worried recently by its complete absence from the newsagents. The same thing can be said for all Visimag titles. I was in Forbidden Planet a week ago and they had no new issues. If they don't have any nowhere will. I've been looking at their website and nothing there is up to date. The online store says that #231 is due at the start of August, which is over a month ago.

What set alarm bells ringing for me is that #230 was reduced in size compared to all previous issues; I guess this was a money saving decision. The same thing happened to Dreamwatch, and then about 10 issues later they announced the title was cancelled.

It puzzles me that these long running titles are struggling, you would think that the Sci-Fi market was doing quite well at the moment as in the last year or quite a few new titles have launced, such as DeathRay. Maybe there is just too much competition now.

I hope we get some news, as sad as it sounds I would be quite disappointed if TV Zone has bitten the dust, it has been my favourite read for a very long time.

Comment

*breathes sigh of relief*

Just found issue 365 of Starburst magazine in W H Smith's, with Battlestar Galactica cover / feature, and including interviews with Paul McGillion and Nicole De Boer, plus handy September calendar. I hope this means that the TV Zone Stargate Special will be plopping onto my doormat any day now!

Comment

Working...
                X