This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Pro' and 'Anti' and Season Five

The mods have been discussing the current situation and we have come up with the following decision.

From now on, the creation of 'pro' and 'anti' threads will not be allowed anywhere outside of the Character and Relationship area.

This means a 'Pro Ed' thread can be made. An 'Anti Ed' thread can be made, but anything along the line of 'Anti space ships in season five' will not be made. We will close the current 'anti' and 'pro' season five threads and anyone that wishes to discuss season five may do so in the remaining discussion thread.

Beyond the two season five threads, we will NOT close any of the existing pro or anti threads, but we will not allow the creation of any NEW pro or anti threads.

We are doing this because, quite frankly, an idea that was created to protect posters from bullies has been abused and blown out of all sense of proportion. Thus, it will go away.

Now, before you start cheering, this is the only warning. Since everyone will be co-existing in discussion threads, we WILL be moderating those threads with a heavier hand than you may be used to. Whereas we would just give friendly warnings, those that harass other posters, disrespect or belittle them will be facing punitive moderation. There will be a very low tolerance for those breaking the rules.

On the other hand, if you post that you like an episode or character and someone disagrees with you - as long as that disagreement is made with respect and in accordance with our rules, it'll be a valid post. Those posting need to post with respect, those replying need to post with respect. Those that don't can lose their ability to post.

Discussion means that all opinions are welcome. Even those that you may not personally agree with. Give those that disagree with you the same respect you want to be given. We will not moderate OPINIONS but rather ACTIONS.

We realize the need to allow everyone to make their opinion heard, and also to not feel continually forced to justify their views. While this new policy may look like we are curtailing free speech, what we want to accomplish is exactly the opposite: to give everyone a "safe" place to talk with like-minded people, while at the same time not allowing the forum to become so fragmented that no one will talk to anyone with a different opinion any more.

The goal is not to forbid any discussion, but to make sure every conversation and every group has at least one place to play. At the same time, the forum won't be taken over by an avalanche of Pro and Anti threads that outlaw differences of opinion from the first post.

We're not doing this to punish anyone, but we are doing this to control and contain the bullies that may try to take advantage of the new mixed threads. Those of you that habitually respect other posters and our rules will probably notice nothing different. It's only the handful that like to abuse others that will be getting to know the mods a bit better.

The rule of the day is, post to people the way you'd like to be posted to. You guys want to discuss. So DISCUSS. Don't dismiss, don't belittle. Give them the respect you want to be given.

And if you choose not to give people that respect, don't be surprised if you spend a little time in the moderation waiting room.
    Last edited by Skydiver; 04 November 2007, 05:22 PM.
    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

since atlantis has reinvigorated my stargate enthusiasm, and because sam/amanda has been brought over which started the whole giving atlantis a try, i'm really, REALLY looking forward to seeing how the show progresses!

so YAY to season 5!

sally
    sally

sigpic

Comment

I agree with this decision. All there is right now is Speculation, predictions, and hopes for what can happen in Season 5. There is nothing really Pro or Anti to discuss since all we know is the producers and writers have just begun to break some stories.
      sigpic

Comment

Thank you for that skydiver. I was hoping you and the other mods would make that decision. It just gets annoying having the forum split into two different sides the whole time.
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Excellent...

Comment

Yay!

Comment

This was a good move . I dreaded going over there, because for or against, you couldn't leave that part of the forum happy with all of the negativity.

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

the negativity may still be there.

Posters in the discussion thread may very well be negative.

Folks are just gonna have to accept and deal with it
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

I am Pro Season 4 and have had no issues chatting with people in the Anti threads. Not going to get into ratings talk that is another story.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post

So um... how the heck is this any different to what has been going on? *shrugs* I don't like an ep idea I will say so, I don't need a Anti thread to do that, never have.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                      I am Pro Season 4 and have had no issues chatting with people in the Anti threads. Not going to get into ratings talk that is another story.
                      I have issues with posting with most pro people, this will not help with the personal attacks.

this just seems like another way to get ride of someone who thinks like me

out of sight out of mind

truly rule after rule that has been created here lately seems only suit one side of the fandom. this means that the all the season discussion threads will be pro now... what will happen when an anti person posts in a general thread... we will be attacked.. posts picked apart, anti comments will not be allowed.

i've tried walking away before... this maybe the last straw....i'm going to think about it, but right now i am seriously not happy.

in the very least move the threads not lock them

but once again my opinion means nothing...
                      gads i love being treated like dirt
                      Last edited by parisindy; 04 November 2007, 07:34 PM.
                      Spoiler:

"It gets sort of Zen after a while, Life is a Journey. Time is a River. The door is Ajar."
                      ~ Waldo Butters, in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher
                      Card designed by Falcon Horus

Comment

It isn't the negativity or positivity that's an issue, it's the hostilivity hostility of some of the various viewpoints that causes most of the friction. Hopefully the Heavy Hand of Moddish Doom will keep things under enough control to make things tolerable for EVERYONE.

I don't envy the mods the increased workload, but I think it's the only viable solution because Sky is right: the privilege of creating pro/anti threads WAS abused and was spiraling out of control. On the one hand it's good that folks will be a little more integrated now, but on the other hand the reasons behind the decision are a bit sad and, in my opinion, don't really speak well of fandom as a whole.

Still, the forum should be very... interesting, particularly next season when the fighting will REALLY begin.

Comment

Oh they closed the threads. *headdesk* Well that is different, then this is a way to shut up the Anti posters?

Comment

If they were trying to shut up the antis, only the anti thread would have been closed. Everyone with an opinion can still post, they just can't do it in a dedicated pro/anti thread. At least not where S5 is concerned. Or any other issues that crop up between now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
                              Oh they closed the threads. *headdesk* Well that is different, then this is a way to shut up the Anti posters?
                              well the mods have always said that there could rather everyone post in a thread where both view points could be expressed ...and now that can happen and people are just going to have to FINALLY LEARN TO GET ALONG

Comment

Working...
                              X