Nitpick - in regards to the ATA Gene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nitpick - in regards to the ATA Gene

Now, remember that scene which features Laryn (sp?) tricking the Wraith so Sheppard can fire a squid drone to kill the Wraiths -- now back in Season 1, we were told that only people with the ATA Gene can use the lifesign detector, now 4th year and there in that scene Laryn managed to use the lifesign detector, however if she has the ATA Gene then why can't she used the Ancient tech i.e. the ship systems?

Hmm... LOL - a blunder?

Sheppard in Siege II told Everett when he reached for the LSD, “Won't do you any good. You need the gene.”

They are going to tell us that they have since found the trick to making it stay on after it is activated by a gene carrier.

Cheating IMO.
    sigpic

Comment

Ahh... sci-fi and cheating sure goes hand in hand!

Comment

I noticed that too, but haven't heard any official explanation.

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
        O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Originally posted by JackHarkness_Hot View Post
          Now, remember that scene which features Laryn (sp?) tricking the Wraith so Sheppard can fire a squid drone to kill the Wraiths -- now back in Season 1, we were told that only people with the ATA Gene can use the lifesign detector, now 4th year and there in that scene Laryn managed to use the lifesign detector, however if she has the ATA Gene then why can't she used the Ancient tech i.e. the ship systems?

Hmm... LOL - a blunder?
          Originally posted by blue-skyz View Post
          Sheppard in Siege II told Everett when he reached for the LSD, “Won't do you any good. You need the gene.”

They are going to tell us that they have since found the trick to making it stay on after it is activated by a gene carrier.

Cheating IMO.
          Ahh... sci-fi and cheating sure goes hand in hand!
          I agree and it could have been dealt with with a one or two sentence exchange with Larrin saying to Sheppard she needed the LSD and Sheppard could have replied with the same comment he said to Everett. Then Larrin could have grabbed it and said, "it is still working" and then Sheppard could have said something like, well it is a different type then I am used to. This exchange could have deen done in the storage room and we could have lost the dumb "shoot too early" bit with Larrin and just had a scene with Sheppard getting in the chair then a cut to Larrin walking down the hallway. The next cut would be how it actually was shown when Larrin stopped walking and said, "I got 'em." To me that would have worked out much better than what actually was shown and would have omitted the poor attempt at humor.
          Spoiler:
          sigpic

Comment

Of course, any explanation for the use of the LSD is going to be better than the tap dance of an explanation of Ford’s being able to fly the jumper.

Something about anyone being able to ferry one through the stargate. Anyone have the reference? Something JM said and I’ve seen it in one of the books: Entanglement or Exogenisis maybe. Pure hogwash!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blue-skyz View Post
              Of course, any explanation for the use of the LSD is going to be better than the tap dance of an explanation of Ford’s being able to fly the jumper.

Something about anyone being able to ferry one through the stargate. Anyone have the reference? Something JM said and I’ve seen it in one of the books: Entanglement or Exogenisis maybe. Pure hogwash!
              Yeah the explanation about Ford in the jumper was that it was on auto-pilot once putting in a gate address on the jumper's DHD and that is why it was able to go through the gate but no further. Weak, but still not said in any episode and the explanation had to be given outside the show's "reality" by a producer.
              Spoiler:
              sigpic

Comment

But it was implied in Siege III that's what happened (Ford not flying the PJ, just on autopilot), so I'm OK with it. Shep said Ford would abandon the jumper and dial out to another planet. He just didn't say "Because he can't fly the jumper" because Weir already knew that.

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill_Ion View Post
                  But it was implied in Siege III that's what happened (Ford not flying the PJ, just on autopilot), so I'm OK with it. Shep said Ford would abandon the jumper and dial out to another planet. He just didn't say "Because he can't fly the jumper" because Weir already knew that.
                  From that perspective, do you see it implied in the episode that the LSD that Larrin used was one that just had to be initialized and not like all the other ones we have see? I would definitely say the stretch of Ford in the PJ is much more plausible than Larrin using the LSD. As said before, a brief one or sentences and it would have been explained.
                  Spoiler:
                  sigpic

Comment

The jumper is the bigger problem for me. They won’t even start up for someone without the gene. How did he get the autopilot on, was there someone around to initialize it? And bigger still is the question of why would a jumper have that capability? What would the Ancients use it for?

On topic: Sheppard was there, the LSD was on. They could have found a way to keep any Ancient scanning device on. That would explain Zelenka’s using one in Reunion, too. A function the Ancients might have actually had some use for. And a much simpler explanation than the jumper.
                    sigpic

Comment

they keeping changing the rules and its really hard to decide what is and whats not
                      sigpic
                      [[[[[Dr Keller]][[For Ever]]]]]

Comment

I agree with the above post ^^, it keeps changing and it really is difficult to understand why it was done the way it was done. It's times like these I wish the writers asks themselves the following questions: "Why did I do that? What use is it for? Is this right?"

Oh well, another plothole

Comment

I agree with the above post ^^, it keeps changing and it really is difficult to understand why it was done the way it was done. It's times like these I wish the writers asks themselves the following questions: "Why did I do that? What use is it for? Is this right?"

Oh well, another plothole
                          Not really, the LSD was already on and had been initalzied by Shep.
                          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

And we know the LSD is one of those tech that could be maintained once activated?

Comment

And we know the LSD is one of those tech that could be maintained once activated?
                              If I remember correctly as long asa it's not switched off.
                              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X