Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heightmeyers Dream - Could it really do that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heightmeyers Dream - Could it really do that?

Heightmeyer died because she dreamt herself falling off one of the Atlantis towers. Now I have one big problem with this, when I was younger I used to have the same dream quite often; It's a cold and grey morning, I walk to the edge of a cliff, near the sea, lots of rocks at the bottom, I walk off, see myself falling and wake up just as I'm about to hit the bottom. Basically Heightmeyers dream but not Teyla, Atlantis or John.
    I know I never hit the bottom in my dreams (or maybe I did and that's when I wake up...), but I'm still here. Is it really possible to die from dreams? (I know it's sci fi but oh well.
    I haven't had this dream in about 6 or 7 years, possibly more.
    Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

hmmm. it's an interesting question. i often have falling dreams and i even hit the ground but i instantly wake up. at the same time my body actually physically jolts.

My guess is that we can never dream about ourselves actually dieing becasue of our natural instinct to survive as well as the fact that we have never experienced death and since dreams are random memories all jumbled up, we can not possibly die.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I think the strain on the body would be too much to deal with...

I guess if the mind believes it, then it could actually hurt for real.

In the dream sequence, Kate actually did hit the bottom, that much was clear from the thud. *shudder*
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

When it's your dream you're in control, but in Kate's dream it was the entity.
        I would think that in your own dreams you don't want to die... self preservation and all that... but in her dream the entity wanted to kill her so she died.
        Maybe.

The Doctor and the Wild Man Thread... Keeping the dream alive.

Comment

Good point... But still, the brain has to somehow believe it's real...

I don't know...

Comment

we need a proper dream......expert............thingy.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
              we need a proper dream......expert............thingy.
              Yes, we do. Know anyone?

Comment

Short answer. No. (I am no dream expert person)

Comment

If I know well, falling down from a tower is a sign of oppressed creativity.

But what wil the dream books say?
                  To dream that you sustain a fall, and are much frightened,denotes that you will undergo some great struggle, but will eventually rise to honor and wealth; but if you are injured in the fall,you will encounter hardships and loss of friends.
                  "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
                    Good point... But still, the brain has to somehow believe it's real...

I don't know...
                    Yeah... the sad thing is....

Kate would know. (sighs)

The Doctor and the Wild Man Thread... Keeping the dream alive.

Comment

Oooooh, good point, fuchsia!

*Sad that Kate died.*

Kate's fall was very disturbing to watch. I suppose if someone had a physical problem, like a bad heart, and they had a terrifying dream, it could actually hurt them. I've had dreams where I couldn't breathe, and woke up to find I couldn't breathe cuz I had some phlegm caught in my throat. (Sorry if that grosses anyone out.)

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
                      O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

You might suffer from a heart attack if the dream was stressful and your in bad shape. belive it was mentioned before. But thats about it. you can't die from dreams. Their's no real damage

Comment

Uh, I'm pretty sure if the dream induces a heart attack, you can die.

In a similar vein to the above examples; my dad once dreamed that he got shot in the stomach, only to wake up to a terrible stomach ache (I think it was heartburn).

Dreams are strange and wonderful things.

Comment

And it was the matrix that said that if the brain dies so does the body.. perhaps that is how the 'crystal' does it's killing. By taking over the body and getting ti to die.

Comment

Originally posted by fuchsia View Post
                              Yeah... the sad thing is....

Kate would know. (sighs)
                              I was thinking the same thing... psycho-analyze it or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X