Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with being gay, but the hard truth is that SOME people view it as offensive. That's a fact, whether you like it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
      Yeah, there's nothing wrong with being gay, but the hard truth is that SOME people view it as offensive. That's a fact, whether you like it or not.
      Good, and there's nothing wrong with being straight either.

Personally I couldn't give a toss if people find it offensive, homosexuality is a fact of life and if they don't like seeing it brought up in SGA (were it ever brought up) they can ***** right off.
      Last edited by stevearm07; 01 November 2007, 04:59 PM.

Comment

lol rage

Comment

Originally posted by stevearm07 View Post
          So being gay is an insult then is it?
          To heterosexuals, yes it is. There is no doubt about that.

Plus, saying Europeans are gay is in the modern world inciting racial hatred. I personally don't care seeing as I assume the person doing it is an American, which makes it ironic for the reasons I've posted earlier in this thread.
          Then there's all the camp sports. Having to wear a big bucket shape glove to catch a ball is comical at best, that paired with tight outfits on male 'athletes', priceless, then there's the whole football' padding thing, same level of physical risk as Rugby, but Rugby players are mountainous men, while your football players are sprinters in armor, yes I do appreciate they are brilliant athletes compared to your average beer swilling bloke.
          Lol, only in the 1990s the yanks tried to make goalkeepers in football, the real football, wear full on helmets.

Top stuff.
          "I don't know what Irony means but I use it alot, Ironic isn't it"

"Sure there have been deaths and injuries in boxing, but none of them serious"

Bloke:Fat Penguin
          Woman:What
          Bloke:I just wanted to say something that would break the ice.

Comment

I'M NOT GAY I'M BRITISH!

Even the Scotish, not part of Britain , know that.

Comment

And I take it you think that all gay men act like poofy camp queens then? Oh please.

Please don't stereotype gay men as upbeat, girly, prissy, sensitive, neat individuals who don't watch sports and prefer to go shopping. Because believe me you'll get the shock of your life when you realise that most gay guys are just like straights. And that it's just the camp ones that get the exposure and enter the general public's minds as the 'image of gaydom'.
              Now who's stereotyping people?

I think the point being made is that people's sexuality is entirely their own business and is an issue that some people find sensitive and to imply that an entire race/culture of people are of a particular sexual persuasion is a) wrong and b) could be offensive to some people. Sweeping generalisations are, in general, unhelpful.

Also, if I'm correctly understanding the background to FAII's "quote" (I haven't seen the Legally Blondes movies myself, let alone the musical), the insinuation in the phrase "gay - or just European" is that Europeans act in a more "gay", or less "macho" or "manly" way than (I assume) Americans. And I can also see how some people might find that kind of sweeping generalisation annoying, if not offensive.

P.S. Rather than making multiple posts in a row, there is a relatively new feature on GW that lets you multiquote posts to reply to... if you click on the "+ button at the bottom right of each post you want to reply to (it turns orange and becomes "-) and then click Post Reply, the reply box will appear with all of your chosen posts quoted in it, ready for you to reply to in one post.
              sigpic

Comment

too cheeky?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Salas1 View Post
                  To heterosexuals, yes it is. There is no doubt about that.
                  Nice sweeping generalisation there. Trust me that it's also offensive to call a homosexual person heterosexual. No doubt about that.

You're the type of person who would be shocked and digusted if a pro rugby player cme out as gay

Comment

Nice sweeping generalisation there. Trust me that it's also offensive to call a homosexual person heterosexual. No doubt about that.

You're the type of person who would be shocked and digusted if a pro rugby player cme out as gay
                    Again with the sweeping generalisations. Please don't make comments about other forum users - a) it's against GW rules and b) you don't know this person and are not able, or entitled, to judge what their reactions would be.

Some heterosexual people would be offended if it were implied they were homosexual and some homosexual people would be offended if it were implied that they were heterosexual. Thus proving the original point made above - sexuality is a sensitive area and making sweeping generalisations/implications about the sexuality of an entire race/culture/ethnicity *is* very likely to cause offence.
                    sigpic

Comment

And i think this thread has gone waaayyyy off topic.

If folks want to debate whether they said 'he' 'she' or 'you' do it in the episode thread please. Let's not even get into the topic of homosexuaity and whether it is 'right' or 'wrong' because I give that topic about an hour before it turns into a flame fest.
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X